• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Never been a big console gamer. We are the epotime of "casual gamers" as a family, so we've been rocking the Wii for a while and it works great for us. (casual gamer=sit down, play for a bit, win, and walk away. Not long, level based games like CoD and others that require getting to save points and taking up hours of your day) We also dont play it much and dont want the kids on it for hours, so spending $500 for a new system isnt something we value.

Inlaws just gave us one of their 360s thats just been sitting collecting dust. (they literally have every. single. system. (several in multiples) SMH)

So what else can we do with it besides play games? DVD? Blue Ray? I see there is a multimedia remote control, so it appears you can do more than just games.

I hooked it up last nite, but need to get new batteries. None of the battery covers for use with AAs are with it, and all of the rechargeable packs they gave us refuse to charge. So I have a new charger/batteries sitting on my desk here at work charging up for tonite when I start exploring.

Any games that are a must have?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Halo. All of them (that can be played on the platform).

Most of the releases of Halo for the 360 allow for split screen co-op (I think). Its fun, and kinda a classic.

I enjoyed Splinter Cell for the 360 because there isn't any one single "right" way to play the levels. There's room for personal choice about killing/knocking out/avoiding, most of the time.

Now, this might be controversial, but Grand Theft Auto (I think it was IV for the 360, might be III) is fun in a terrible, I-can't-believe-I'm-doing-this way.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I think the game like call of duty you mentioned not wanting is a good one. They don't have to take up hours if you don't want them to. i think the most fun about them are the online play. You go against other people playing online and the games take maybe 10 minutes...

I say this because I only really enjoy the first person shooters with few exceptions. I however don't even own a console anymore. I used to play on friends a lot in college and little bit here and there but I haven't been on one in a few years. I have been telling myself I'd get one again when I have more time, but I am yet to find a time recently when I've got free time to burn. Maybe next year!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I think the game like call of duty you mentioned not wanting is a good one. They don't have to take up hours if you don't want them to. i think the most fun about them are the online play. You go against other people playing online and the games take maybe 10 minutes...

I say this because I only really enjoy the first person shooters with few exceptions. I however don't even own a console anymore. I used to play on friends a lot in college and little bit here and there but I haven't been on one in a few years. I have been telling myself I'd get one again when I have more time, but I am yet to find a time recently when I've got free time to burn. Maybe next year!

I got spoiled in the head to head games playing Battlefield on PC. Those were the days.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    LOL. I probably should have specified the kids are 9 and 11. Not exactly GTA material.

Oh. Right. Oops. :)

Well, dad can still play. ;) Mom, too, depending on what she's into. [bow chicka bow bow]

My son was probably 11 when we started playing Halo - campaign. Its violent, sure, but its against aliens. (There is a scene late in the first Halo with a human soldier who survived an alien attack, but is left grievously wounded. That is the most gore I can remember.) The language is salty at times, but can provide teachable moments about grown up language.

While there's really no comparison (IMHO) to console v. PC for gaming (PC always wins), games like Morrowind amazed me with how many combinations can be presented on a console. Speaking of which, while there's some violence, Morrowind and the Elder Scrolls games might be good. Caveat: you can sit down to play for half an hour, then look at the clock and its 3:00 am and you need to wake up for work in 2 hours.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Same boat here: casual, time limited, kiddo. local/split-screen games are mostly a thing of the past with the advent of high-speed internet being common though. My daughter's only 4 tho so her gaming isn't much of a consideration yet.

The Borderlands series is hilarious and a lot of fun and allows local/split-screen coop with the game scaling/escalating well, not for 9-11 year olds though. Sections can get LONG and there's no manual-save-and-come-back-later.

Army of two. (I think it's for xbox... we have xbox and PS and it's been a while) Also not for 9-11 yo. first one has wonky controls, 2nd (40th day) is good, 3rd I don't remember. it's pretty much based around 2 player coop, split-screen or remote. If you don't have a friend, you have a CG ally.

There's a site I've used that basically is just for finding/sorting multiplayer games: Co-Optimus - Your Prime Source for Co-Op Gaming - Home Page you can filter by the usual things but it gets into a lot more detail about multiplayer style such as:
    connection: split screen, p2p LAN, p2p online, MMO
    type: coop, team, vs
    story or standalone/arena
    and more

My wife's more enthusiastic about gaming but I'm naturally a little better in a maddening way: she gets a high score, I beat it. she spends a week getting a new high score, I beat it in a round. repeat.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Unreal Tournament FTW!

dukenukemforeverscr_019-large.jpg

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Another vote for the first and second Halo, I'm not a gamer myself, but those two were lots of fun. My favorite ever on 360, however, is Left for dead! Both 1 and 2 are excellent to run through chapters quickly, or spend some time to wander around, or hole up in a strategic spot and lay waste to hordes of zombies. I mean, how many other games give you the ability to bash a clown zombie in the face with the butt of an AK, and you can hear his big red nose honk when you hit him?:):

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The Forza series is good if you're into racing, although I have not tried the open map versions like Forza Horizon.

I'd have to get a wheel and pedals. I cant drive using a joystick.

So I was surprised to already have an xbox Gamertag. I assume they randomly populate that? Because I KNOW I didnt make it, and it was there as soon as I activated that against my microsoft account.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Wait.

Cameramonkey.

Have you seen (or heard of) the Halo-based series Red v. Blue?

I started watching when they were in their first "season" when it was pretty raw and somewhat amateurish. Even then, though, it was pretty brilliant.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Wait.

Cameramonkey.

Have you seen (or heard of) the Halo-based series Red v. Blue?

I started watching when they were in their first "season" when it was pretty raw and somewhat amateurish. Even then, though, it was pretty brilliant.

ZOMG! YES!

[video=youtube;URsqTsMfNqY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URsqTsMfNqY[/video]

Top Bottom