I find a car for the nephew at $2,100 and....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    It's ok...

Nothing fancy and it seems ok. Will need fluids and filters. Tires before winter maybe.

Work out the deal and then he shows me the title.

It's not his, owned by a guy in Michigan with the same writing on the sales signature part as the lien part. Guy said he had a clean title in the ad and it's not really his. Now his story changes. Start backing up and says its a sale for a friend. Can't call the lending company or the guy to verify.

Call the guy the next day and the number is
    not picking up

We walk.....2 hours wasted, but saved my nephew a 2100 dollar learning experience.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Had a neighbor whose daughter bought a car and brought it home. She went to get the VIN to call and get insurance on it and found the numbers on the dash did not match the numbers on the door which did not match the title! The neighbor went with his daughter back to where she got it to get her money back. The seller refused to return any money and called the police. Long story short she did get her money back without having to go to court.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Happens every day. Check that VIN. Check the title. No bubba deals.

Even when it's legit it's easy to screw up so always confirm the VIN against the title. We have several vehicles at work and recently started reducing the fleet size. We have (had) 2 Ford 500's and sold one. Unfortunately the person handling the paperwork gave the buyer the paperwork to the 500 we were keeping, buyer flips the car and now the car along with the wrong title are MIA!

BE CAREFUL and protect yourself.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Yikes! There will always be another car, never be afraid to walk, it's never worth the trouble with sketchy titles. Sometimes they're honest and it's just coincidence but those are usually honest up front too (my father-in-law asked me to sell his deathtrap of a motorcycle but I laid it out up front in the ad, sure it took longer to sell but I sleep better at night). The problem is once you hand over the cash and they drive off it's yours. unpaid taxes, lein, mechanical woes, all of it's yours and only kindness in the seller's heart can help.

Also, never sell a car private party on payments. /story

Nitro

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 24, 2017
    Columbus
    Life lessons can suck sometimes but it is good that you two walked away. I would have been really mad. I have bought and sold a lot of vehicles. Some people can be super sketchy. I looked at a truck once, it was nice I wanted to buy it. We settled on the price was about to hand it over and the guy said he needs to find the title first….. Told me to take the vehicle and he will mail it to me when he finds it. No way!!! I was not about to do that and get arrested for stealing a vehicle that I didn’t even know if it was his. Same story told me clean title!! Never be afraid to walk away.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    Lots of sketchy sellers out there. I looked at a BMW Motorcycle a few years ago. Guy was selling it for NADA Trade In price. Looked good, rode good, made a deal. EXCEPT it had a Rebuilt Title! I said No Thanks and walked away. I called my Insurance Company about the Rebuilt Title. They would Write PL&PD only. The Underwriter told me "One Insurance Company already paid out for that Bike, we're not going to Pay Out also".

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Lots of sketchy sellers out there. I looked at a BMW Motorcycle a few years ago. Guy was selling it for NADA Trade In price. Looked good, rode good, made a deal. EXCEPT it had a Rebuilt Title! I said No Thanks and walked away. I called my Insurance Company about the Rebuilt Title. They would Write PL&PD only. The Underwriter told me "One Insurance Company already paid out for that Bike, we're not going to Pay Out also".
    I'm pretty sure rebuild titles and salvage titles are good for coverage once they are fully repaired, IIRC. I know salvage titles are no-go (liability only) until the damage is repaired; my buddy has a Cruze that was totalled due to severe hail damage. It's on a salvage title and the only way his insurance will cover it is if he repairs 100% of the damage and then he's gtg. Maybe that was just unique to that company?

That being said, to the above poster that walked from a deal where the guy couldn't find the title; to each his own but people misplace titles all the time. Just tell him you want it and as soon as he gets the replacement title from the BMV you'll come back with the cash. Obviously that doesn't work if you don't have a week or 2, but for many people it's a fairly reasonable compromise...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I'm pretty sure rebuild titles and salvage titles are good for coverage once they are fully repaired, IIRC. I know salvage titles are no-go (liability only) until the damage is repaired; my buddy has a Cruze that was totalled due to severe hail damage. It's on a salvage title and the only way his insurance will cover it is if he repairs 100% of the damage and then he's gtg. Maybe that was just unique to that company?

That being said, to the above poster that walked from a deal where the guy couldn't find the title; to each his own but people misplace titles all the time. Just tell him you want it and as soon as he gets the replacement title from the BMV you'll come back with the cash. Obviously that doesn't work if you don't have a week or 2, but for many people it's a fairly reasonable compromise...

To the title issues.
    Different Ins. company's have different ways of looking at these pre-damaged cars. Salvage titles are the tricky ones.

As to lost titles.....Seriously, if you are selling the car have all the paper work "IN HAND" when you post it up for sale. State of Ind. use to fast track a tittle if you just lost it and went to the BMV with all the proper credentials. I lost one. Had to have a birth certificate/D License/and the current registration. 5 days latter I had a title.

If I am looking at a vehicle and they have no title I am walking. That is just too hinky for me.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I had looked at a 67 Fairlane in oklahoma a couple of years ago, talked to the owner several times on the phone prior to seeing it in person. We checked it out and asked about the title and got a non commital grunt so I told the GF to take the cash and get back in the truck. At that he finally said that when his cousin in Arizona got out of jail that he'd be able to get the title from the dude he bought it from while he was a guest of the state of texas! Cya!:n00b:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had looked at a 67 Fairlane in oklahoma a couple of years ago, talked to the owner several times on the phone prior to seeing it in person. We checked it out and asked about the title and got a non commital grunt so I told the GF to take the cash and get back in the truck. At that he finally said that when his cousin in Arizona got out of jail that he'd be able to get the title from the dude he bought it from while he was a guest of the state of texas! Cya!:n00b:

That is just wrong. That should have been discussed on the 1st call.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    To the title issues.
    Different Ins. company's have different ways of looking at these pre-damaged cars. Salvage titles are the tricky ones.

As to lost titles.....Seriously, if you are selling the car have all the paper work "IN HAND" when you post it up for sale. State of Ind. use to fast track a tittle if you just lost it and went to the BMV with all the proper credentials. I lost one. Had to have a birth certificate/D License/and the current registration. 5 days latter I had a title.

If I am looking at a vehicle and they have no title I am walking. That is just too hinky for me.

Yup. 100% up to the individual insurance company if/how they'll insure a salvage/rebuilt title.

Top Bottom