• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    So, I'm building up my woodshop so I can make things instead of buy things. It is a hobby fully supported by my wife! :D

But table saws are outrageous! I was looking at Ridgid because the only complaint is the customer service is somewhat wonky. I just wish it wasn't outrageous to buy one! There are no used ones!

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Been to furniture plants everywhere and have great respect for those things and routers. They are finger eaters.

Hoosier Carry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2012
    In the Woods
    I feel your pain! Sometimes you just have to make due until you can upgrade your tools. There are so many tools to have on the want list. I am limited on space so I built a rolling workstation that can use both a miter and contractors saw. It may not be the ultimate setup, but its a start. Start small and work your way up.

e6ppccS.jpg

0dAm6PJ.jpg

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    How many square feet is the area you are devoting to your woodshop? Do you have 220v available? Ideally you want 8ft on either side of the blade so you can rip 4x8 sheets of plywood. If you have enough room it is hard to argue against a cast iron stationary saw like a Delta unisaw, or similar with a 4ft fence and a left hand tilt with 3 to 5 real hp running on 220v. Older cast iron saws last forever, shop on craigslist not at home depot

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a related note, know how to make a cat sound like a dog?

douse it in gas and throw a match at it. *woof!*

Know how to make a dog sound like a cat?

Freeze it and run it through a table saw. meeeeeeeeeoooooooooowwwwww.

Awful, but funny.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Check out the sawstop :D

Been to furniture plants everywhere and have great respect for those things and routers. They are finger eaters.

As of last Tuesday, I wish those things were on the market when I bought mine. The surgeon thinks he saved the finger but the jury's out as to how it going to affect my trigger pull once the pin comes out and I can throw the splint away.

gun_nut

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Haubstadt. IN
    Picked up a cast iron 1988 Craftsman saw on Craigslist for 75$ - installed a Vega fence, and Bully Dog router table extension. Will post pictures later today.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Unisaw. End of discussion.;)

Mine is an early 1960s vintage. Bought it at an auction for $300. Dad picked up one from an auction at a local local high for $100, but it was 3 phase. He bought a new single phase, 220 motor for it for around $300.

IMHO, a table saw is the heart of a woodshop. it's worth it long term to spend the extra $$$ and go with a commercial grade tool.:twocents:

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    How many square feet is the area you are devoting to your woodshop? Do you have 220v available? Ideally you want 8ft on either side of the blade so you can rip 4x8 sheets of plywood. If you have enough room it is hard to argue against a cast iron stationary saw like a Delta unisaw, or similar with a 4ft fence and a left hand tilt with 3 to 5 real hp running on 220v. Older cast iron saws last forever, shop on craigslist not at home depot

I have a one car garage that I park my car in. I'm thinking of building a stand like Hoosier Carry has shown above. I don't have a lot of room, but like others have said, it is important to rip plywood.

I'm tempted to get a Kreg Rip Cut Jig, but that looks like it might not work.

Top Bottom