• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The premier credit reporting system has been hacked. Pretty sad that the company everyone uses to rate we the people can't keep our information safe. Welcome to the electronic age.

Glad I know not to attack the messenger when the news is bad. My TV survived.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I tried the link... entered the info they asked for, and it kept taking me back to the same place to enter the same information. Didn't matter whether I clicked Enroll or Continue Enrollment. It took me in a circle.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I tried the link... entered the info they asked for, and it kept taking me back to the same place to enter the same information. Didn't matter whether I clicked Enroll or Continue Enrollment. It took me in a circle.

ditto

I read elsewhere that many are having this issue and to try again later

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I must be on the list as it told me to come back on the 12th and sign up for the free monitoring.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got an enrollment date of 9/11. Well, that's easy enough to remember. But it didn't say whether my data had been breached. Does anyone know? I think there should've been a message when way or the other but I never got one.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    I got an enrollment date of 9/11. Well, that's easy enough to remember. But it didn't say whether my data had been breached. Does anyone know? I think there should've been a message when way or the other but I never got one.

It very clearly said that my wife wasn't breached. I think because they know who was not breached but are not certain who "was" that that is the best they can do.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Thanks for posting. I have a date of 9/12.

ETA: I use the credit karma app to watch my score and any changes on my report. I recommend it.

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Lebanon
    3 Equifax executives sold stock after data breach, but before informing the public.

The site’s terms of service seem to state that by agreeing to use this service, the user is waving their rights to bring a class action lawsuit against Equifax.
    We have a note out to the company asking for clarification about this site’s capabilities, function and any rights forfeited. Until questions are answered, I would avoid using the site.
    This is essentially the site right now.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    o determine if your personal information may have been impacted by this incident, please follow the below steps:
    1. Click on the below link, “Check Potential Impact,” and provide your last name and the last six digits of your Social Security number.
    2. Based on that information, you will receive a message indicating whether your personal information may have been impacted by this incident.
    3. Regardless of whether your information may have been impacted, we will provide you the option to enroll in TrustedID Premier. You will receive an enrollment date. You should return to this site and follow the “How do I enroll?” instructions below on or after that date to continue the enrollment and activation process. The enrollment period ends on Tuesday, November 21, 2017.

Seems to me it is not providing the message indicating whether a person is impacted or not, at least when I checked.

On another note, Equifax should get hammered over this. It is ridiculous that a company whose primary business is trading in this info should not have security as their foremost concern. Until they start getting hit in the wallet big time, these companies are not going to take security as seriously as they should.

They basically are providing a sample of their service, because they allowed our info to be compromised. Kind of like the bank saying "well, your money has been stolen, would you like a loan?"

Update: On another note I went back in today and it says:

"Thank You
    Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. "

It's possible I missed this before.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Like the OPM breach before...I'm supposed to now trust a company that lost the information it had to keep more information I might give it? Seems a bit counterintuitive to me. My answer was NO I will not now tell you my bank account numbers...sheesh.

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Like the OPM breach before...I'm supposed to now trust a company that lost the information it had to keep more information I might give it? Seems a bit counterintuitive to me. My answer was NO I will not now tell you my bank account numbers...sheesh.

They already have the info, but yeah, I'm a bit leery of this as well.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Do me once...

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or not....

i recommend putting credit freezes on yourself at all these credit reporting agencies. I did it 10 years ago. No matter what data gets out, they can't open a new account anywhere period. I can't even do it unless I unfreeze it.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Seems to me it is not providing the message indicating whether a person is impacted or not, at least when I checked.

On another note, Equifax should get hammered over this. It is ridiculous that a company whose primary business is trading in this info should not have security as their foremost concern. Until they start getting hit in the wallet big time, these companies are not going to take security as seriously as they should.

They basically are providing a sample of their service, because they allowed our info to be compromised. Kind of like the bank saying "well, your money has been stolen, would you like a loan?"

Update: On another note I went back in today and it says:
    "Thank You
    Based on the information provided, we believe that your personal information may have been impacted by this incident. "

It's possible I missed this before.
    I am pretty sure security is and was their foremost concern.

No one is secure today. The only systems that can't be hacked are those that are not connected to anything. The best companies can really do is make things as secure as they can and watch everything, hoping to catch a breach before it gets bad.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Do not use equifaxsecurity2017.com unless you want to waive your right to participate in a class action lawsuit

TOS said:
    AGREEMENT TO RESOLVE ALL DISPUTES BY BINDING INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION. PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE SECTION CAREFULLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS BY REQUIRING ARBITRATION OF DISPUTES (EXCEPT AS SET FORTH BELOW) AND A WAIVER OF THE ABILITY TO BRING OR PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION, CLASS ARBITRATION, OR OTHER REPRESENTATIVE ACTION. ARBITRATION PROVIDES A QUICK AND COST EFFECTIVE MECHANISM FOR RESOLVING DISPUTES, BUT YOU SHOULD BE AWARE THAT IT ALSO LIMITS YOUR RIGHTS TO DISCOVERY AND APPEAL.

By just signing up, you've waived that right.

And here's the WHOIS of the domain:

equifaxsecurity2017 said:
    Registrant Contact
    Name: Domain Administrator
    Organization: DNStination Inc.
    Mailing Address: 3450 Sacramento Street, Suite 405, San Francisco CA 94118 US
    Phone: +1.4155319335
    Ext:
    Fax: +1.4155319336
    Fax Ext:
    Email:admin@dnstinations.com

And here's their domain

Equifax.com said:
    Registrant Contact
    Name: Domain Admin
    Organization: Equifax Inc
    Mailing Address: P.O. Box 740006, Atlanta GA 30374-0006 US
    Phone: +1.4048858000
    Ext:
    Fax: +0.0000000000
    Fax Ext:
    Email:hostmaster@equifax.com

They're literally doing the exact thing a financial website shouldn't do. Rather than devoting a subdomain of the Equifax website like where they made the announcement, investor.equifax.com, they registered a domain that literally anyone could register. Yes, they did announce it in a press release, and many sources have reported on it, such as WIRED, Ars Technica, Snopes, and more. Even still, this was just a giant **** up on their part, especially since it was revealed that they delayed the release of the fact that the breach happened while multiple shareholders divested from the company to avoid the ****storm that they knew would hit their stock.

mikebol

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 22, 2015
    Trafalgar
    They're literally doing the exact thing a financial website shouldn't do. Rather than devoting a subdomain of the Equifax website like where they made the announcement, investor.equifax.com, they registered a domain that literally anyone could register. Yes, they did announce it in a press release, and many sources have reported on it, such as WIRED, Ars Technica, Snopes, and more. Even still, this was just a giant **** up on their part, especially since it was revealed that they delayed the release of the fact that the breach happened while multiple shareholders divested from the company to avoid the ****storm that they knew would hit their stock.

I made the same observation from the announcement and went out and looked up the DNS information. I was reluctant to even hit the site much less enter a partial SSN given how they had this setup. It just looks suspicious to anyone who is security conscious.

Mike

Top Bottom