SCREW THE RED CROSS! No donations from me!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Now that I have your attention... :):

A suggestion I just thought of. If you know anyone affected by either hurricane, donate directly to them via gift cards, cash, etc. Even if they are only a FB friend, or someone you havent talked to in years. Unlike disaster relief where random strangers get 70% of what you give, 100% of your donation gets to those you care about personally.

I personally dont know anyone affected by Harvey, so I donated to UMCOR. But I do have several friends impacted by Irma. One who lives in the Keys just posted a pic from somebody else of boats laying on the highway, along with reports of 10' storm surge. She may have lost everything but her Jeep and fur babies. The other friends dont know yet because they are from Tampa and bugged out to SC. It is probably devastating their house as I type.

And if you dont know anyone personally, my subject still stands. There are better orgs that dont actively stand in the way of outside help, and that will distribute your dollars more efficiently.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Agreed, have seen first hand these scum donation organizations, nothing more then leaches.

Find a proper channel if you decide to donate so those that need it get it.

easy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    SEOK
    Salvation Army or Samaritan's Purse. The Red Cross gives less than 10% out as actual charity, and then there are times when they ask to be repaid for their 'charity'.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    One caveat with CM's idea...the people you give the card to may not be able to use it. The place may be (soggy) toast, not open, open but cleaned out, or your friend has no way to get there or there is no safe way to do so. Just thoughts.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    One caveat with CM's idea...the people you give the card to may not be able to use it. The place may be (soggy) toast, not open, open but cleaned out, or your friend has no way to get there or there is no safe way to do so. Just thoughts.

Good point; I'm thinking long term, SD, not the immediate mop-up. Several weeks out when they are needing to go buy new clothes, replacing that toolbox, air compressor, computer, etc.

Let the other poor saps fund the immediate needs like toiletries, water, food, etc. through relief agencies. They will still be there regardless of your personal donation. But put your direct donation to your friend to work to do the best good you can.

And yes, Samaritans Purse, Salvation Army, etc. if you still feel like contributing to the masses.

EDIT: and in SD's scenario, the post office aint delivering to them anyway so they wont be able to get it.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    I remember the 2008 flood my family got like 5,000 dollars to replace beds, counches, chairs, basically any furniture on the ground and they were done with us. I would suggest samaritans purse. I've volunteered with them seven times in either right after a disaster or rebuilding. They do everything right, from volunteers to property owners. They are already in Houston and might be rebuilding there if the need is there.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Look into the charity's you are donating to. How the Red Cross continues to milk people is just amazing. They have been all about themselves for the longest time.
    Yes, Salvation Army is a solid one as is Samaritans Purse.
    Screw the Red Cross.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Not all Red Cross chapters are the same and none of them are the same as the national organization. Donate locally to a good chapter and it will help people.

Salvation Army is the one that gets the most from me each year.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    My dad has a distinct dislike for the Red Cross from his interactions with them while in the Army over a half century ago. Seems his instincts were right.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to trust the Wounded Warrior Project too. Then the money started to pour in and things went sideways.

We had a really bad experience with WW project as well. Done with them.
    There are many many other groups that do good work here.

I've not read bad things about Wounded Warrior. Did you two have bad personal experience with them?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I've not read bad things about Wounded Warrior. Did you two have bad personal experience with them?
    One thing I had heard about them many years ago, Tom Gresham of GunTalk wanted to do a fundraiser for them. They told him no, they didn't want to be associated with any gun groups.

olhorseman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Middle of nowhere NC
    Now that I have your attention... :):

A suggestion I just thought of. If you know anyone affected by either hurricane, donate directly to them via gift cards, cash, etc. Even if they are only a FB friend, or someone you havent talked to in years. Unlike disaster relief where random strangers get 70% of what you give, 100% of your donation gets to those you care about personally.

I personally dont know anyone affected by Harvey, so I donated to UMCOR. But I do have several friends impacted by Irma. One who lives in the Keys just posted a pic from somebody else of boats laying on the highway, along with reports of 10' storm surge. She may have lost everything but her Jeep and fur babies. The other friends dont know yet because they are from Tampa and bugged out to SC. It is probably devastating their house as I type.

And if you dont know anyone personally, my subject still stands. There are better orgs that dont actively stand in the way of outside help, and that will distribute your dollars more efficiently.
    My mother's and sister's neighbors in Bradenton took them in last night because the neighbors' house is boarded up (mother's and sister's house not boarded due to their ages, cost, and they are pretty reclusive). When their power surged the neighbors lost their television and aren't financially able to replace it. I told my sister to let the neighbors know how relieved I was that she and our mother was safe and that I ordered them a new television and will be delivered this week. A small price to try to repay a huge debt I owe the neighbors.

Top Bottom