Customs agents seized lawful gun owner’s truck over five bullets. Now he’s suing

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    It seems like some agencies are looking at civil forfeiture as part of their regular budgetary process.

I've seen some DNRs that work that way with ticketing (WI). One year fishing in the WI River a CO pulled up and pulled out a checklist to go over, life vests, age req., not drinking...hmmm...battery in a case and strapped down? Aha! Your case cover needs to be strapped down too...ticket.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It seems like some agencies are looking at civil forfeiture as part of their regular budgetary process.

I've seen some DNRs that work that way with ticketing (WI). One year fishing in the WI River a CO pulled up and pulled out a checklist to go over, life vests, age req., not drinking...hmmm...battery in a case and strapped down? Aha! Your case cover needs to be strapped down too...ticket.

Quota's/revenue streams.........:dunno:

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson about taking magazines or ammunition across the border two years ago but mine was at the Canadian border. If you're going I suggest you check, recheck, double recheck then stop before you get to the border and check one more time. The Canadian BP agents have always been very polite but they have a very limited sense of humor.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson about taking magazines or ammunition across the border two years ago but mine was at the Canadian border. If you're going I suggest you check, recheck, double recheck then stop before you get to the border and check one more time. The Canadian BP agents have always been very polite but they have a very limited sense of humor.
    Do tell!

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Lets just say that the one 15rd and two 22rd Glock .40 magazines loaded with Federal Tactical Bonded were not well received after telling them I had nothing of the sort in the truck.

We had a last minute change of plans and I went from leaving my truck in Illinois to driving it into Ontario. I didn't even think to look through the truck as I don't bring a pistol with me. When I saw the agent pull out the 15rd magazine I suddenly remembered the two 22rd mags and knew I was in hot water. 3 hours later and $500 lighter in the pocket I was released to continue my vacation in Ontario which surprised me. I thought for sure they'd send me back southbound if I was lucky enough to not be incarcerated.

100% my fault and can guarantee 100% that it'll never happen again.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Lets just say that the one 15rd and two 22rd Glock .40 magazines loaded with Federal Tactical Bonded were not well received after telling them I had nothing of the sort in the truck.

We had a last minute change of plans and I went from leaving my truck in Illinois to driving it into Ontario. I didn't even think to look through the truck as I don't bring a pistol with me. When I saw the agent pull out the 15rd magazine I suddenly remembered the two 22rd mags and knew I was in hot water. 3 hours later and $500 lighter in the pocket I was released to continue my vacation in Ontario which surprised me. I thought for sure they'd send me back southbound if I was lucky enough to not be incarcerated.

100% my fault and can guarantee 100% that it'll never happen again.

Don't be totally surprised if you attempt to cross into Canada at some point in the future and your little incident (that cost you $500) comes back to bite you in the butt. At a border crossing for a bear hunt in 2016 one of our 8 man group was prevented from crossing due to a previous bar fight in the US that had occurred decades ago. Notwithstanding that he had crossed into Canada three times in the ensuing years after the fight had occurred. We quickly realized Canada can and will change the rules of the game at their whim.

Unlike the US where a sitting President signs an order to let 800,000 criminals stay here.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Don't be totally surprised if you attempt to cross into Canada at some point in the future and your little incident (that cost you $500) comes back to bite you in the butt. At a border crossing for a bear hunt in 2016 one of our 8 man group was prevented from crossing due to a previous bar fight in the US that had occurred decades ago. Notwithstanding that he had crossed into Canada three times in the ensuing years after the fight had occurred. We quickly realized Canada can and will change the rules of the game at their whim.

Unlike the US where a sitting President signs an order to let 800,000 criminals stay here.
    Did you mean to use purple for the last line?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Ive been watching a "cops" type show on netflix that is nothing but CBP snagging people and packages trying to enter Canada when maybe they shouldnt. I really REALLY REALLY like their policies. I REALLY wish we were as strict. (you are coming here with no visible means of support? GO AWAY! You are coming on a 1 way tix to visit somebody you dont really know and dont have much cash but have lots of professional equipment in your bags? Sorry, no work permit, you are back on the next flight. etc, etc etc)

But they are as bad as we are in some respects. "We see you are a problem child and could be inadmissable to Canada. However its only a minor infraction, so if you pay us a fee you can enter and we'll forget about that issue." Sounds like a bribe to me. Sorry, but if you think he is a problem, a $400 swipe of a credit card shouldnt make it go away. Either he is a problem or he isnt.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You never know what you're going to get when crossing the border into Canada. There are usually 6-8 of us in 2-3 trucks with trailers & ATV's when we go up. Some years we're through and on our way in minutes, others they want to search everything. They've freaked out and called us smugglers for various things over the years, one year it was a bag of potatoes, the next it was two tubes of roofing cement. I always just assume we're gonna spend an hour at the border, that way I'm pleasantly surprised on the rare occasions they don't want to look through everything. It's probably the significant amount of alcohol we pay to bring in that flags us most years.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GetLow16
    Top Bottom