• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    In May we called a ton of places about getting a roof put on our flat roof back porch. One showed up and did an estimate. I never heard from him again. No others called back. Finally a guy shows up and said he had been recommended by Feedback roofing to come take our job. He sounded good and seemed eager to do the job. He started June 4. He only comes on the weekends and does a board here and there but not a whole lot. So far there is a frame but nothing else. The gutter boards have rotted all summer and now the gutter is hanging off the back. Part of the deal was he would fix that too. In July he said he was going to pick up the metal and would get on it. A few weeks ago he stopped by and said he had another job to finish first and ours would be next and completed soon. No word for a few weeks. Yesterday I called and he said our metal had been scratched so he had to make a new order and it would be here next week. I'll believe it when I see it. We paid some up front and supposed to pay the remaining when it's done.

Well, I'm done. With him anyway. How can I go about either getting some money back, getting the metal and then just telling him to kiss off? This is a little job and he's had 4 months to do it. No communication the whole time. I'm also going to be doing all I can to give Feedback some feedback too. IF he recommended this guy then he's just as bad IMO. Our contract just has the start date and says "Upon completion" for paying the remainder.

Thanks
    Jason

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    I don't have a bat. I do have a shovel. I'd prefer it not come to that. But I'm thinking the only thing that will work is the kind of crazy usually only possessed by a obsessed recently scorned ex- g/f

Jason

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I don't have a bat. I do have a shovel. I'd prefer it not come to that. But I'm thinking the only thing that will work is the kind of crazy usually only possessed by a obsessed recently scorned ex- g/f

Jason
    Ill contract a redhead to you? On second thought, you may not want another contract?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Probably a word of mouth deal? About the only recourse I see is run him off or put up with his crap.

Or a baseball bat, in this case a shovel.

Your word against his, he obviously has found he can buffalo you and will probably continue to do so. I've ordered a bunch of sheet metal the past couple of years and have never seen a scratched piece for any of the projects.

One way or the other cut your losses.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    A lot of contractors (at least in this part of the state) will come to give a quote and some might actually send you one, but they won't come back and do the work. They have a nice gig around here. They can pick the jobs they want and stay plenty busy.

Did you contact Freedom before you agreed with this guy to make sure it was a referral?

I'm not sure what you can do, but I would at least try to get the materials from him if he has any.

And in the future, don't pay a contractor anything up front. If they are worth their salt, they can finance a job until it's complete. (I'm not talking about building a house here where it is customary for the builder to take "draws" throughout the process)

I won't hire a guy if they want money up front.

Another tip I would give you; either do it yourself or hire the best. You will be happier in the long run.

I know you were looking for ideas on how to deal with this guy and I'm not much help. But hopefully I can help you not repeat this moving forward.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Metal can be ordered and picked up same day at least 2 places in Southern Indiana. Depending on how much he got up front I'd want him to either finish or part ways. Try the AG's office for any recourse. Is he Licensed, Bonded and Insured?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Small claims court. Hope you took pics during the process ( or lack thereof ) with dates and lack of activity/progress.

Short of employing the shovel and then answering "Nobody has seen him? Sorry, Deputy, I havent seen him for months either. When he turns up, bring him here so he can finish" I think Amboy has the only possible step.

And start the ball rolling with the courts and dont stop or even slow down until you get your money back via the courts. No "I'll get it this weekend, I promise, dont sue me" Be done with him.

Just dont be too attached to that money you paid. Odds are its gone. Sorry.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    roof still isn't done. The metal is on, but gutter boards need done and gutters need hung. 3 weeks ago he said the gutters would be there the next week. They can't be shipped with the metal cause they are too long. Last week he was there measuring. He told my wife he was measuring so he can order the gutters. There's no reason this should take over 5 months.
    22089647_10155111159413042_4162078931786708795_n.jpg

Jason

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    When I built a house many years ago I went with an older guy working with his son. He was recommended by my architect. It was one of the biggest mistakes I ever made. He was dishonest and a liar. At first I tried to be understanding. As he continued to lie and the project dragged on (original finish date October, we moved in the next February) we withheld draws until certain specifics were done. Once I caught him trying to install the upstairs bath tub before the house was insulated. I had to be there almost daily to keep an eye on him. There were times when he didn't show up for weeks. Yes, I should have fired him.
    As it turned out I became the general contractor and ended up dealing with the various trades.

I did a lot of checking to see if he had any assets I could attach. If he did, they were well hidden. Therefore I figured filing suit would be a waste of time and money. My advice: pay an attorney to draw up an iron clad contract, don't pay draws until the work is done to your satisfaction, have a completion date in the contract, fire him if he does'nt perform.

Top Bottom