Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: broken ribs

Plinker

broken ribs

I broke 2 ribs Saturday afternoon. Man do they hurt. What kills me is when I have to cough. Standing up isn't very fun either.
    Has anyone here had broken ribs and how long did it take to where the pain was manageable?

I have been kicked in the ribs by a horse and really bruised some That was bad enough and took some time to heal.. can't imagine breaks. Sorry to hear about it

Get a small pillow and smash it into your chest before coughing. It will help brace them.
    Amazing Grace, how sweet was her sound.

Love them as if you'll lose them.

I've had ribs cracked twice and healing time was a minimum of 3 weeks. The 2nd time took closer to 6 weeks. Laughing, sneezing, or coughing will often set you back, at least it did me the 2nd time.

Sure, busted ribs in my martial arts career.

Like doc says, I have used one of those backrest pillows with arms and flip it upside down and then jam it into your ribs when you cough. It mitigates the pain but does not eliminate them.

***Phone Number Hidden*** (See Rules for more info)3478p?$478$" border="0" alt="" />
    The pattern exposes motive

Quote Originally Posted by hoosierdoc View Post
    Get a small pillow and smash it into your chest before coughing. It will help brace them.
    That's what my Dad did after his bypass when healing from the sternotomy.
    INGO: Where I'm the moderate, not the right wing wacko.

Plinker
    My ribs are broken in the back by my spine. I guess I'm lucky it was just the ribs and not my back.

I have a broken rib right now. I'm 4 weeks into healing. There was no change in pain levels for the first two weeks. After that it got better daily. I'm pretty much pain free unless I try to make it hurt.

Doc said I still need two more weeks of mostly rest though before I can start back at CrossFit. I'm still going, but taking it easy.
    Easy choices, hard life.
    Hard choices, easy life.

Mine broke in the same place as OP. Follow all advice. Don't try to push it. I felt good at 6 weeks, returned to full duty and rebroke them days later. I now have a lump where it healed.

Bob

Been there Done that. Worst part was watching my Motorcycle just sit there for 6 Weeks. Make up a Good Story about how it happened!

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
    Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.
    And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind."
    Major Michael Davis O'Donnell KIA 7 Feb 1978

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast