• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Young William

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    LA PUENTE, Ca. -- An 83-year-old man who'd had enough pushed an intruder off
    of his roof after a nearly five-hour standoff with police.

It all started at about 6:30 a.m. Wednesday when someone called 911 reporting
    they were being followed, KTLA reports. That's when police found a man
    jumping from one rooftop to another as he tried to run from them.

The chase lasted several hours, despite a crisis negotiator who tried to
    convince the suspect to come down. Then, the man arrived at the rooftop of
    83-year-old Wilford Burgess.

"He wasn’t staying in one place," Burgess told KTLA, describing the man's
    movement from home to home. "He’d be on one edge and then around on the other
    parts."

He was on Burgess' roof for about an hour before the homeowner decided to go
    up after him. Burgess climbed a ladder to the roof, and pushed the man off and
    into the custody of police.

"He'd been up there too long," said Burgess. "I figured...if they can't get
    him off, I can."

Burgess' granddaughter, Ashley Wrenn, recorded the incident on her cell
    phone.

"He's like the strongest person in our family," she said. "It wasn't a
    surprise to us."

I like how this guy just takes care of business!:yesway:

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I'd like to see a video of this.

Oh, wait, missed the link first time.

Here we go:

[video=youtube;Q3Onk3oMt_o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3Onk3oMt_o[/video]

I hope gramps said "hold my beer" just before going up.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Sadly I'm sure the intruder will try to get $$ for injuries suffered when he was pushed off the roof.

This is why the jury trial was invented. The only real problem is finding an attorney to defend him who actually isn't afraid of juries.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Care to elaborate ?

It's simple, really. If sued by the intruder, the 83 year old guy wins the case about 9 out of 10 times...and the jury wants to give him money.

However, many lawyers who call themselves "civil litigators" don't try cases to juries and get nervous like shy little girls when the case doesn't settle at mediation.

Houghmade feels about jury trials the way Arnold felt about "the pump":

[video=youtube;FxXU1f2AJNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxXU1f2AJNU[/video]

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    It's simple, really. If sued by the intruder, the 83 year old guy wins the case about 9 out of 10 times...and the jury wants to give him money.

However, many lawyers who call themselves "civil litigators" don't try cases to juries and get nervous like shy little girls when the case doesn't settle at mediation.

Houghmade feels about jury trials the way Arnold felt about "the pump"]

Somehow a simple " oh " doesn't quite cover it .

Alrighty then OG JP get your civil litigation on .

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Only one story. Should have aimed for the concrete so he didn't mess up his car.

Pick up that blood.

(bonus is getting to see Lacey Underall photo when searching for this one)

original.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    What an idiot kid. CA though, seems kind of normal there. Maybe he self identifies as a pigeon.

The old guy was probably...get the hell off my shingles you punk a sob. They ain't free.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

There is a lawyer in New Albany who was top of his class at law school...Michigan IIRC....A buddy of mine was going up against him on a case...It was dragging on, my buddy's client was getting frustrated etc....Finally my buddy decided to roll the dice so to speak...He had heard the rumor that this guy was terrified of jurors and juries in general.......He finally said, "Well I guess we are going to have to go to a jury trial I suppose...It'll take a bit longer but that's where I am heading with it..."

He said pure panic set in and he had never seen a lawyer cave so quickly.....This guy is by all accounts a brilliant lawyer...He still has a very successful practice in New Albany to this day (the incident I am referring too was over 20 years ago)...

He just has no confidence in either himself or a jury I suppose...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There is a lawyer in New Albany who was top of his class at law school...Michigan IIRC....A buddy of mine was going up against him on a case...It was dragging on, my buddy's client was getting frustrated etc....Finally my buddy decided to roll the dice so to speak...He had heard the rumor that this guy was terrified of jurors and juries in general.......He finally said, "Well I guess we are going to have to go to a jury trial I suppose...It'll take a bit longer but that's where I am heading with it..."

He said pure panic set in and he had never seen a lawyer cave so quickly.....This guy is by all accounts a brilliant lawyer...He still has a very successful practice in New Albany to this day (the incident I am referring too was over 20 years ago)...

He just has no confidence in either himself or a jury I suppose...

This disease never seems to affect graduates of Tier III law schools, is rare in Tier II, but is positively epidemic in the Tier I graduates. Go figure. Tier IV don't have jobs.

Last edited:

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    That grandpa is awesome! Not only did he righteously take matters into his own hands to evict the trespasser, but he also home carries (probably about all he can do in the PRC).

WebSnyper

Maximum Effort
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    So why the standoff, When I saw the headline I expected that the guy was on top of a multi story apartment building or something. The guy is up on the roof of a single story house. Break out one of the non lethal choices you have and take care of it, or go up and get him. Not that difficult as proven by Mr. B.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Holy crap!

Most 63 year olds aren't that strong and alert, much less willing to take action like that. That grandpa is a MAN.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Another quote from the family I saw from a different story on it said something like "we weren't surprised, that's just Papa". Love it! :):

The conversation was probably something like; "Dammit I can't here the announcer on my wrestling show over all the damned ruckus out in the yard, here hold my beer I'll be right back!":yesway::yesway:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom