• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I feel that they over charged him and the judge will find him not guilty.
    I don't know, when you have the defendant on video moments before shooting someone saying "I'm going to kill this bleep, don't you know it" I'm not certain I'd call that overcharged. Plus, I am going to guess there are lesser includeds likely available to the judge.

I am curious how this ended up as a bench trial, was it in return for dropping the death penalty?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I don't know, when you have the defendant on video moments before shooting someone saying "I'm going to kill this bleep, don't you know it" I'm not certain I'd call that overcharged. Plus, I am going to guess there are lesser includeds likely available to the judge.

I am curious how this ended up as a bench trial, was it in return for dropping the death penalty?
    A lot of so-called experts have weighed in on this case. They say that this was not premeditated due to the act starts when the lights go on and the chase starts. When he said that that he was in the heat of the moment. I am no expert, I'm just going off what I've read and heard.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Some version of reckless homicide is probably appropriate, but having an unsanctioned AK and pretty compelling evidence of planting a gun on the dead guy are really bad facts. I wouldn't say overcharged, but the facts are stronger for a heat-of-the-moment thing.

But... wow. That **** is crazy. St. Louis seems crazy.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    It sounds like the only thing that he is charged with his 1st° murder. I think the prosecutors gonna have a hard time proving that. I've been known to be wrong before.

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity
    Protesting seems civil and low-numbered so far, from watching that video feed, other than it seems to be disrupting the traffic in that intersection. Hopefully, everyone heeds the advice of the dead man's fiance and it stays that way

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area

I believe you often or always have the right to a bench trial. The three officers tried and found not guilty in the Gray case were bench trials. I can see why police would choose bench or jury.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    A lot of so-called experts have weighed in on this case. They say that this was not premeditated due to the act starts when the lights go on and the chase starts. When he said that that he was in the heat of the moment. I am no expert, I'm just going off what I've read and heard.

"Premeditation can be formed in an instant."

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Some version of reckless homicide is probably appropriate, but having an unsanctioned AK and pretty compelling evidence of planting a gun on the dead guy are really bad facts. I wouldn't say overcharged, but the facts are stronger for a heat-of-the-moment thing.

But... wow. That **** is crazy. St. Louis seems crazy.

What is said "pretty compelling evidence"? There is a gun, and an allegation.

The DNA evidence? As I've said often: lack of evidence is not evidence of lack. That the DNA of the deceased was not found on the gun is not evidence of anything whatsoever.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    This ain't gonna go well. A Friday, 91 degrees but low humidity, sunny, Cardinals are in Chicago to play Cubbies, Rams moved back to LA. Prime riot forecast right there.:(

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In the grand scheme of things, when you have guys like Terrence Crutcher, Philando Castile, Freddy Gray, and Walter Scott, this one where the guy is actually actively resisting police, doesn't rank that high. Given the way the other cases unfolded (w/the exception of Scott), it was kinda a foregone conclusion he would walk.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    In the grand scheme of things, when you have guys like Terrence Crutcher, Philando Castile, Freddy Gray, and Walter Scott, this one where the guy is actually actively resisting police, doesn't rank that high. Given the way the other cases unfolded (w/the exception of Scott), it was kinda a foregone conclusion he would walk.

What is the overall conviction rate for police officers accused of violent crimes alleged to have been committed in the course of their duties, or for murder specifically?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    What is the overall conviction rate for police officers accused of violent crimes alleged to have been committed in the course of their duties, or for murder specifically?

I don't know specifically, but I do know it's low.

Top Bottom