• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm gonna have some time to kill this weekend (16 hours). I'm stuck in one spot with not much to do so I'm going to take my iPad Mini with me and the battery won't last if I spend my time on the net so I figure a book is my only option. I haven't done any reading since I was in the Army 20 years ago so I have no idea where to start. Back then I read a from Dean Koontz and The Vampire Chronicles, not sure how much that type of reading would blow my skirt up these days but it might be ok. Anyone read anything on Kindle recently that they enjoyed?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071RXTX1P/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o04_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"A Texas Ranger" Biography of a turn of the century lawman.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009NFHF0Q/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o05_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Ocean at the End of the Lane", Fiction, interesting spin on various mythologies. (Neil Gaiman, also "American Gods" et al)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LWMDZ4D/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o09_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"Halloway's Raiders" - shotgun stakeout squads in Texas.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0166SEUTQ/ref=oh_aui_d_detailpage_o01_?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Biography of Frank Hamer

Also - Night Angel trilogy, might be more than you want to invest in but it's an awesome trilogy.

myhightechsec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2016
    The Region
    Baen Publishing is the foremost purveyor of the best in military science fiction and fantasy. We are talking quality reading here. About ten years ago they released a series of freely redistributable CDs that had much of their best work up until then. Again, these were given away by Baen with the expectation that they would be shared amoung the community (for free).

A website collected these CDs (with the blessing of Baen) and the books on them are available for legally downloading them. They are in multiple formats, including Kindle.

The link that I am posting goes to just one of the CDs, which as some great reading on it. Certainly ranging up to a hundred hours depending upon how fast you read.

I would recommend starting with either the Honor Harrington series, the Dalak series, or the Empire of Man. All three are quite readable and give hours of pleasure if you want to try military science fiction with strong characters and exciting action.

The Bahzell series is military fantasy, and is well worth the time to read.

This is just one of many CDs on the website. If you look around you'll discover much more to enjoy. Again, these are free and with the blessings of the publisher.

Storm From the Shadows Index Page

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    Been reading the Gray Man series.

The author is Mark Greaney who co wrote several Tom Clancy books before Tom Clancy passed away.

Its like a Jason Bourne/John Wick type series. I'm getting ready to start book 3 of like 7.

I cannot compare it Tom Clancy as I've never read Tom Clancy but I love this series.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Death Becomes Her (book 1 of the Kurtherian Gambit series). When I started the series I thought it was poorly written, until after a few chapters I was sucked in. There are several spinoff series to this and I think around 17 books in the main series so far and I've been reading them all. Good stuff.

Frontlines series by Marko Kloos. Great military scifi.

Monster Hunters International by Larry Correia. Fantastic books.

Kindle books by Glynn Stewart. Both the scifi and the paranormal police series all rock. He's one of my favorite authors ATM.

Imager Portfolio books by L.E. Modesitt, Jr. Another great series, this one is fantasy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Enemies foreign and domestic by matthew bracken. There is a sequel too. (domestic enemies; the reconquista) but I havent read it. Not a fan of how the first book ended, and the preview at the end of the first book also left me with a bad taste, but that could be the author's style of a LOT of setup followed by the meat of the book.

It starts slow, but is a good, fast paced read about 30% of the way in.

gus1989

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    Shadow Divers - True story of discovering a submarine wreck and trying to identify the sub. Very dangerous diving. Great read!
    A Walk in the Woods - About walking the Appalachian Trail (something I always wanted to do). Very funny!

ikendrick15

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2016
    Evansville
    Currently reading "Killing Jesus" by Bill O'Reilly. It gives a historical depiction of Jesus and is extremely interesting from a historical point of view even if you're not religious. Lone Survivor by Marcus Luttrel is also a solid book.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    Currently reading "John Dies at the End" by David Wong. This may be the strangest book I've ever read but I like it.

Top Bottom