• 1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Warning. it's a long story.

My tractor that is about 4 years old It just had it's first major break down. TBH, it was not really any fault of the tractor. My yard is hard on tractors. It's a large yard and not very level. I managed to whack something hard enough to strip the alignment teeth on one of the blade shafts. I have had this happen on my other mower. NP. been there done that.

So I make a trip to Lowe's (it's where I bought it) and ordered the shaft and a couple of other parts I have needed for a while. That was about 2 weeks ago. The gal at the parts counter did not really seem to know how to look the parts up. I think she was new or maybe subbing in that department. NP, it took a while to get things sorted out and the parts ordered, I had to prepay for them, NP. I was told they would be in on the 8th.

I called that day to check and I was told the order was cancelled and I was refunded my $$. I said nope, I wasn't. After a bit of back and forth I ask to talk to a manager. She figured out that the price I was quoted was wrong and they kicked back my order. Ok, then why wasn't I called? She said oops. We will reorder the parts and we will honor the quoted price. Ok that's pretty darn fair, I was them given a date of the 13th.

I checked today to see if it was in. Well guess what, I was told my order was cancelled and bla bla bla. I said "please connect me to a manager". I told her the story and she checked and found my parts at the customer service counter, Ok, all is well. I told her I will be there in about 20 minutes to get them, thanks. I get there and guess what?? I was told my order was cancelled and I was refunded the money. I said I just when threw this on the phone, don't take this personally, but you people really need to get your sh*t together. I was just told on the PH my parts are here at the customer service counter and this is the second time I have been told this.

So she looked around the area and said I don't see any thing. I asked her to get a manager. One came and she found my parts in a bin. In 2 separate boxes. She said I'll put these in one box for you. And she said sorry this happen. She asked if I had my receipt. NP I had it. She looked at it and said we charged you for delivery, We'll refund that. I told her I question the parts counter about it and she said it was policy, Ok what ever and I ordered the parts anyway. I needed them.

I got my 8 bucks shipping back and decided to get a set of blades. I go back to home and garden and get them. Then I go to the front counter to pay for the new blades. The manager seen me in line and told the cashier to give be 10% off because they had really screwed me around earlier. That was pretty cool. I get home and open the box and guess what, I got shafted, well "Double shafted"!! There were 2 shafts in the box. I only paid for one. I will go back tomorrow and pay for the second one because I don't mind having a spare. And I am not a thief. I also want to tell the store manager about it. And remind them to get there sh*t together. I would not be surprised if they gave it to me. But that's not necessary , even if I was screwed around for an extra week. grrrr

For what it's worth I do like Lowes for the most part. And I really do like the tractor. It's a Troy-bilt Bronco. Runs like a watch. I might just order my parts on line from now on. It might be faster and less stressful.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have found that Lowes is not perfect (as you are obviously aware), and had to do things a few times to get something right with them, but they do make it right. It would be better if it were right the first time, but they have always made things right in the end. I have stuck with them on bigger purchases like appliances, etc for that reason. That said, the every day small stuff I usually end up somewhere else these days.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's frustrating.

The PTO on my Skag went out this summer. I checked online and compared the price for it and a new PTO switch to what my local dealer could sell it for. Surprisingly, they were both pretty close in price. Online was a little cheaper when considering taxes and shipping but when grass is growing, delivery time was the deciding factor. Frankly, I was shocked the dealer was so competitive.

If he hadn't have had it in stock, I probably would have ordered it from the online site.

ETA: I forgot to add, you might consider checking your local mower dealer next time, especially if it's going to have to be ordered at Lowes.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Lowes rocks in the grand scheme of things. Menards sucks big donkey d....

Good on you for doing the right thing with the extra parts. Everyone should.

(I find my headaches with Lowes are much less than Menards)

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    That's frustrating.

The PTO on my Skag went out this summer. I checked online and compared the price for it and a new PTO switch to what my local dealer could sell it for. Surprisingly, they were both pretty close in price. Online was a little cheaper when considering taxes and shipping but when grass is growing, delivery time was the deciding factor. Frankly, I was shocked the dealer was so competitive.

If he hadn't have had it in stock, I probably would have ordered it from the online site.

ETA: I forgot to add, you might consider checking your local mower dealer next time, especially if it's going to have to be ordered at Lowes.

I have in the past. There is no one close to me that has any better CS. I have hopes for Weaver Agg when they bought out one of the local places I had issues with in the past. They seldom get orders right either. I bought 2 Stilh items from them because I wanted local service and parts. They had my new weedeater for almost a month. I got it back with the same issue. I was promise a week. I call at a week. Was told anther week. Waited 2 weeks and check. Was told they had a tech quit and were behind. I called after a week and set Sh6 or get off the pot. I was called a few hours later and was told it was ready.

The issue was it would leak gas when you would fill it half way. I got it back empty. I filled it up and the freaken thing leaked like a sieve. I video tape the leaking and took it apart. The piece that goes in to the tank where the fuel line hooks was cracked. They did not do anything but pat me on the head and hand it back. I remove the part and took the part in with the video. I asked to speak to a manager. When he can I said "Watch this" then have him the broke part and said give me one or refund my purchase. They ordered it. It took 2 weeks more. I got a roll of line for my troubles. I just hate Sh*tty CS in a bad way. I have always been in the service industry. I could never get away with the stuff people do to me.

Anymore I just fix my own stuff. And will now mostly order things on line that I can't lay my hand on locally. Less stress I hope. I am very mechanically inclined, thank god!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend

The local Menards is ok. Lowes opened a store a lot closer. I really like there tools. There lumber is not as good as my local Mendards. But the trip time is a lot less. I have bought a lot at both stores and have gravitated towards Lowes the last 5-6 years.

My tractor and Snowblower were over 4.5k. I have bought doors and windows and a lot of other things. So I have spend a bit in there (Lowes). The guy I usually deal with was not there. I bought both machines from him. He was great. I haven't seen him lately. He was there for a long time. I hope he hasn't quit. He always new where stuff was and how to order stuff.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

If you had said this a few years ago I would have disagreed, but it seems lowe's is improving and menards is getting worse, so they're more evened out today. I don't usually go to Lowe's anymore but yesterday I needed a box of nails and was in Bedford (no menards) so I stopped at Lowe's. For the FIRST time in history, I was asked if I needed help. The guy did leave the isle and do an about face at the end before coming back and asking me if I needed help, but it's at least an improvement of prior experiences (employees were like cockroaches scattering when the lights come on if a guy that looked like he may need help finding something came near them).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    My issues with Lowes:
    - They rarely have what I'm looking for (maybe I need to adjust my expectations)
    - They rarely have a good price
    - Employees are super friendly, but rarely know any more than I do

Pretty much my experience at every large retailer.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    MTD owns Troy-bilt, next time check Tractor Supply for the parts, if you still have a Sears near by, you can also try there, but the price
    may be higher.

When I had to fix a spindle on my Craftsman, I picked up the parts from Amazon. I got both spindles, blades, maybe a belt (I don't remember what all I received) for less than 1 spindle from Tractor supply.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Lowes doesn't pay enough to get quality employees for anything but managers. Most of the normal workers in Lowes are the equivalent of a fast food worker.....not paid enough to give a ****, and likely a teenager at their first job. It's a chain big box store. Same as buying a gun at Dics sporting goods instead of the LGS.....you want quality service, buy your mower at a mom and pop shop.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Meh, parts purchases are primarily online any more. I've tried the "buy local" thing for our Ferris mower and after having had to bow down and kiss the less than customer oriented parts guys ass a couple of times I've gone to 100% online. Last time I went in to purchase a new belt for the deck; I had the old belt, I had the model number of the mower, mower deck and engine, I had photos of the unit over all and yet w/o a serial number for the sales unit it was a best guess issue!!! When I asked him why he couldn't just measure the belt it became apparent it was heading towards ugly I bailed. And yes the frustration in my voice was apparent as was the smug smirk from hero parts guy!

Fortunately for me I am in a position where I can influence where my employer purchases $10K lawn mowers and it WON'T be from this vendor and yes I did contact the owner over the situation so he is aware of the lost sales. (Insert **** you emoji here)

Top Bottom