• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    So . . . I had the misfortune (actually legendary bad decision making) of driving through Chicago on I-90 in the early afternoon on Friday. I was expecting heavy traffic, but I didn't expect a complete disregard for turn signals of such frequency of cutting people off with inches to spare, apparently out of spite given the finger displays.

I've driven a lot in the San Francisco Bay Area, the South Bay, Los Angeles and Orange County, Atlanta, and a few other metro areas. I have never seen so many total a**holes in one afternoon in any of those places.

Also, why do packs of cars in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin move along at a steady 80 mph, then suddenly all jam on their brakes for no apparent reason . . . over . . . and over . . . and over . . . and over . . . and over. Why???

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    So . . . I had the misfortune (actually legendary bad decision making) of driving through Chicago on I-90 in the early afternoon on Friday. I was expecting heavy traffic, but I didn't expect a complete disregard for turn signals of such frequency of cutting people off with inches to spare, apparently out of spite given the finger displays.

I've driven a lot in the San Francisco Bay Area, the South Bay, Los Angeles and Orange County, Atlanta, and a few other metro areas. I have never seen so many total a**holes in one afternoon in any of those places.

Also, why do packs of cars in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin move along at a steady 80 mph, then suddenly all jam on their brakes for no apparent reason . . . over . . . and over . . . and over . . . and over . . . and over. Why???

It IS Chicago!:dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Radar detectors going off.

That makes sense. But why do they follow less than a car length behind each other the whole time? If they'd allow more room, it would be less of a traffic jam each time they did it. I left plenty of room, which is a good thing.... I had to decelerate carefully so the vehicles behind wouldn't smash into me. Over and over and over.

It IS Chicago!:dunno:

That pretty much says it all.

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    My brother-in-law grew up in Chicago and instructed me in the proper Chicago driving etiquette. It's complicated. I think I don't understand it all that well. But as much as I can tell, everyone expects everyone to be a dick. So, drive like you're a dick, and expect everyone else to be a dick, and that's how it works. At least I assume it works. We made it to our destination in one piece and no dents, so...

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    That makes sense. But why do they follow less than a car length behind each other the whole time? If they'd allow more room, it would be less of a traffic jam each time they did it. I left plenty of room, which is a good thing.... I had to decelerate carefully so the vehicles behind wouldn't smash into me. Over and over and over.

Efficiency. If everyone drives the same speed and everyone follows close as possible, then more traffic can flow through a given point in a given period. According to my BIL, if you leave a car length between you and the car in front of you, you're effectively giving cars in other lanes permission to take that space.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    The panic stops and NHRA starts completely confound me. After a panic stop I didn't floor the accelerator because I wanted to leave some room for my heart rate to return to normal. I counted 4 soccer moms in minivans give me the bird. The last one nearly rear ended the car ahead because she was so busy gesturing to me that she didn't see the next panic stop coming. When driving in Chicago in a minivan pack, don't make eye contact and don't let them smell fear.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    My brother-in-law grew up in Chicago and instructed me in the proper Chicago driving etiquette. It's complicated. I think I don't understand it all that well. But as much as I can tell, everyone expects everyone to be a dick. So, drive like you're a dick, and expect everyone else to be a dick, and that's how it works. At least I assume it works. We made it to our destination in one piece and no dents, so...

Efficiency. If everyone drives the same speed and everyone follows close as possible, then more traffic can flow through a given point in a given period. According to my BIL, if you leave a car length between you and the car in front of you, you're effectively giving cars in other lanes permission to take that space.

So the process is dick-centric and dick-driven. Got it!

The panic stops and NHRA starts completely confound me. After a panic stop I didn't floor the accelerator because I wanted to leave some room for my heart rate to return to normal. I counted 4 soccer moms in minivans give me the bird. The last one nearly rear ended the car ahead because she was so busy gesturing to me that she didn't see the next panic stop coming. When driving in Chicago in a minivan pack, don't make eye contact and don't let them smell fear.

Exactly! WTF?!!! How does that help anything?!! IT DOESN'T!

Hi! Welcome, you must be new to planet Earth.

Good point. I had successfully avoided that area of the world since the early 1980s. Never going back again!

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ... but I didn't expect a complete disregard for turn signals of such frequency of cutting people off with inches to spare...

But why do they follow less than a car length behind each other the whole time?

Asked and answered. If you leave a car length gap behind the vehicle in front of you it is an invitation for someone to put a car in that empty space.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I always thought if there was more than 3-4 feet between cars in Chicago it was an invitation for someone to start wedging their way in (in slow/stopped traffic). Just have to remember not to signal or they'll notice their mistake and close the gap.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Asked and answered. If you leave a car length gap behind the vehicle in front of you it is an invitation for someone to put a car in that empty space.

I always thought if there was more than 3-4 feet between cars in Chicago it was an invitation for someone to start wedging their way in (in slow/stopped traffic). Just have to remember not to signal or they'll notice their mistake and close the gap.

So why the heck does it matter if someone goes in front of you???

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    So why the heck does it matter if someone goes in front of you???

0b0e28c2b2606d30b9e8527405a721bd7e10599f729134cdd14d3cab4420b852.jpg

Top Bottom