Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    Just heard their insurance company paid $100k, but yeah... not sure where the rest comes from. Probably... which would suck, since it's due to their own failures.
    Unfortunately, like other professions, IT people vary in how good they are at their job, how much passion they have for it, etc. plus the budget needed for some proactive measures.

The City of Indianapolis was hit by one of these ransomware viruses a few years ago. It never hit the news because the server, and storage teams had the issue fixed in a few minutes. The network team found the machine that was infested and shutdown that machines network access in minutes. The desktop guys took the machine away, got the person a new machine. All told, everything was back to normal within a half hour of it being found. So no news stories.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

User Info Menu

Major carriers, state AGs will work to combat robocalls

I guess I'll file this one under "I'll believe it when I see it."

https://www.wthr.com/article/major-c...at-robocalls-1

User Info Menu

Not sure what they can do. VPNs. VOIP. That number that keeps calling that says, Corydon Indiana, is not from Corydon. More likely from some ****hole country.
    -spreading the word to end the r-word is retarded
    -activism is retarded because, what if you’re full of ****?

User Info Menu

I thought there was some comparison between where the call says it is from and the switching pathway it is using that could flag some robocalls? The call isn't actually coming from the indicated number it is just spoofing caller ID
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

Yup, you have to prove who did it. And if it's in another country, you'd have to have some type of treaty agreement.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jamil View Post
    Not sure what they can do. VPNs. VOIP. That number that keeps calling that says, Corydon Indiana, is not from Corydon. More likely from some ****hole country.
    Quote Originally Posted by BugI02 View Post
    I thought there was some comparison between where the call says it is from and the switching pathway it is using that could flag some robocalls? The call isn't actually coming from the indicated number it is just spoofing caller ID
    Allegedly they have a way to detect spoofing too. I will remain skeptical until I see it start working though. And like actaeon said, since many, if not most of these originate in foreign countries, prosecution is going to be next to impossible, but I'd settle for an effective way to block them.

User Info Menu

It would present some problems for VPN for anonymity as opposed to security folks, but I'd be happy if the carriers just killed any call whose pathway didn't match its number ID - a call indicating its from Texas, say, but entering the US network via an international switch would be a fine place to start
    You may not be interested in war, but war is interested in you

User Info Menu

Reply All did a couple of podcast on this. (I'm too lazy to look it up)
    Quote Originally Posted by Abraham Lincoln
    Do I not destroy my enemies when I make them my friends?

KLB

User Info Menu

It would present some problems for VPN for anonymity as opposed to security folks, but I'd be happy if the carriers just killed any call whose pathway didn't match its number ID - a call indicating its from Texas, say, but entering the US network via an international switch would be a fine place to start
    National calls coming from an international source could work, but inside the US there is no longer any real correlation between a calling number's origination and a physical area. Our company has around 50 sites spread across the US. All of their calls go out the same connection to a carrier.

I would think that the carriers should know what numbers should be sourced from any kind of connection though, and they should therefor be able to block calls that are not showing legitimate numbers. Even when using a VPN, a VOIP call has to eventually get into the phone network. If they want to be that anonymous, they can send no number.
    They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

User Info Menu

There was a time, when the telco could "trace" a call a lot faster than they let on, AND they kept magnetic tape records of every connection that was made. It was literally possible for them to trace a call even after it had been terminated. They did not admit to this capability because they were afraid of people finding out about it and demanding access. They would have been overwhelmed with such demands from law enforcement and the courts, at the very least. I don't believe for a second that they can't spit out the actual origin of the call using the out-of-band control data, even faster than the in-band CLASS caller-ID. There's just more money to be made keeping that to themselves.
    Geeking out on ancestry; 17th great grandson of Geoffrey Chaucer, and a bunch of dukes, knights, princesses, kings and stuff. Of course, once you turn over a rock and one king crawls out, you're pretty much infested with them. And what did I tell you? Charlemagne, Holy Roman Emperor, Charles "The Hammer" Martel, and a truckload of others. This is getting better: "The Bonny Earl O'Moray" was an ancestor, and the origin of the term mondegreen: They slew the Earl O'Moray and Lady Mondegreen

Page 93 of 98 FirstFirst ... 43 83 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 ... LastLast