• ...and so much more!
  • ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I often run into stories and articles I want to post, but they probably aren't worth making their own thread over.

So, here's the General Technology thread. Computing, software, business tech, Q&A, Security, etc...

Starting off with this story from today:

CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month

On September 13, Piriform released CCleaner 5.34 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 that do not contain the malicious code.
    The threat has now been resolved in the sense that the rogue server is down, other potential servers are out of the control of the attacker, and we’re moving all existing CCleaner v5.33.6162 users to the latest version. Users of CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 have received an automatic update. In other words, to the best of our knowledge, we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm.

Seems to have only affected 32-bit systems, which is a big plus.

Also, apparently due to excessive lobbying from FPL, Florida residents without power due to the hurricane are not permitted to use their own solar panels.

Miami Frustrated With FPL After Hurricane Irma | Miami New Times

Have a hard time imagining that being strictly enforced.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Good idea for a thread.

Now I'll have a place for ArsTechnica cross-posting. :D

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Let's see. The article kept locking up on my computer.
    But, when they made the claim that the storms were likely climate change fueled.....
    Also, power companies are a bit worried about idiots that don't open breakers and feed power to the main, harming there linemen.
    And, all the hand wringing over people still don't have power. I want to choke the reporter. Get off his ass and go down there and do some work then. Maybe see how much work is involved. I swear the human race is one major disaster away from dying off because people don't know how to exist without electricity or Big Brother Government.

To me, the article seems written by someone that never left their desk... EVER.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let's see. The article kept locking up on my computer.
    But, when they made the claim that the storms were likely climate change fueled.....
    Also, power companies are a bit worried about idiots that don't open breakers and feed power to the main, harming there linemen.
    And, all the hand wringing over people still don't have power. I want to choke the reporter. Get off his ass and go down there and do some work then. Maybe see how much work is involved. I swear the human race is one major disaster away from dying off because people don't know how to exist without electricity or Big Brother Government.

To me, the article seems written by someone that never left their desk... EVER.

What........you mean they actually have to go "OUT" among them and see what is going on and not just fish and grab off the interwebs.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What........you mean they actually have to go "OUT" among them and see what is going on and not just fish and grab off the interwebs.

How would they get all the revenue-generating click-bait garbage articles full of typos an misinformation written if they have to go out and research/experience stuff?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Top Bottom