Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast

User Info Menu

The General Technology Thread

I often run into stories and articles I want to post, but they probably aren't worth making their own thread over.

So, here's the General Technology thread. Computing, software, business tech, Q&A, Security, etc...

Starting off with this story from today:

CCleaner Compromised to Distribute Malware for Almost a Month

On September 13, Piriform released CCleaner 5.34 and CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 that do not contain the malicious code.
    The threat has now been resolved in the sense that the rogue server is down, other potential servers are out of the control of the attacker, and we’re moving all existing CCleaner v5.33.6162 users to the latest version. Users of CCleaner Cloud version 1.07.3191 have received an automatic update. In other words, to the best of our knowledge, we were able to disarm the threat before it was able to do any harm.
    Seems to have only affected 32-bit systems, which is a big plus.

Also, apparently due to excessive lobbying from FPL, Florida residents without power due to the hurricane are not permitted to use their own solar panels.

Miami Frustrated With FPL After Hurricane Irma | Miami New Times

Have a hard time imagining that being strictly enforced.
    We are Homo Ludens. We are those who play.

User Info Menu

Good idea for a thread.

Now I'll have a place for ArsTechnica cross-posting.
    Resident Warning Shot Statist.

User Info Menu

Let's see. The article kept locking up on my computer.
    But, when they made the claim that the storms were likely climate change fueled.....
    Also, power companies are a bit worried about idiots that don't open breakers and feed power to the main, harming there linemen.
    And, all the hand wringing over people still don't have power. I want to choke the reporter. Get off his ass and go down there and do some work then. Maybe see how much work is involved. I swear the human race is one major disaster away from dying off because people don't know how to exist without electricity or Big Brother Government.

To me, the article seems written by someone that never left their desk... EVER.
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

I Care...Really

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by actaeon277 View Post
    Let's see. The article kept locking up on my computer.
    But, when they made the claim that the storms were likely climate change fueled.....
    Also, power companies are a bit worried about idiots that don't open breakers and feed power to the main, harming there linemen.
    And, all the hand wringing over people still don't have power. I want to choke the reporter. Get off his ass and go down there and do some work then. Maybe see how much work is involved. I swear the human race is one major disaster away from dying off because people don't know how to exist without electricity or Big Brother Government.

To me, the article seems written by someone that never left their desk... EVER.
    What........you mean they actually have to go "OUT" among them and see what is going on and not just fish and grab off the interwebs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by churchmouse View Post
    What........you mean they actually have to go "OUT" among them and see what is going on and not just fish and grab off the interwebs.
    How would they get all the revenue-generating click-bait garbage articles full of typos an misinformation written if they have to go out and research/experience stuff?

KLB

User Info Menu

They shouldn't just drop a hellfire missile on your café experience...Rand Paul

User Info Menu

Is this just tech, or can science in general be added?
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kutnupe14 View Post
    Is this just tech, or can science in general be added?
    I'd say both go hand-in-hand for the most part. By all means.
    We are Homo Ludens. We are those who play.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GPIA7R View Post
    I'd say both go hand-in-hand for the most part. By all means.
    10-4, good idea for a thread.
    I Have the Worst Crew Ever

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 4 5 11 51 ... LastLast