Any flashlight experts out there? My light won't turn on.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    So I recently got a new light a week or so ago.
    It's a USB rechargeable flashlight, Klarus XT2CR.

It worked fine for a few days, I recharged it a few times without any issues.Now it won't charge or turn on now matter how long I keep it plugged in.

The light on the side is supposed to be a solid green light when charging, then solid red when fully charged.
    It's now blinking (I assume it's yellow) and not charging.

The light wasn't dropped or abused in any way.
    The battery is inserted the right way since it worked just fine before the battery got so low it stopped working.

It takes one single 1850 battery and I don't have any other to test if it's a battery issue, just the one that came with the light so it's the proper one and it's brand new.

I tried a different USB charging cable but the result is the same.Light blinking and not charging. :scratch:

20170731065542423.jpg

The manual says the blinking light means "inspection required" but I have no idea what I'm supposed to inspect or do.
    Or if it's some kind of inspection that needs to be done at the factory.
    I assume the light is still under warranty so I don't want to take it appart.

I contacted my dealer about the issue but I have not heard back from them yet.

I figured some INGO folks might know what to do.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Battery could be shot, if it sat for a long time before being used (as in several years) could be that. At work we had some radio rechargeable batteries that sat on a shelf for several years (we forgot that they were there) and when we tried to charge them only got a blinking red light and wouldn't take the charge. We lost about 8 batteries that way.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Battery could be shot, if it sat for a long time before being used (as in several years) could be that. At work we had some radio rechargeable batteries that sat on a shelf for several years (we forgot that they were there) and when we tried to charge them only got a blinking red light and wouldn't take the charge. We lost about 8 batteries that way.

But the battery is brand new and it worked last week.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Why did you need to recharge it so many times if you've had it a week? That would be a red flag for me. My Fenix UC35 gets carried/used daily and only needs charged every 3ish weeks or so. I'd send it back.

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    So I recently got a new light a week or so ago.
    It's a USB rechargeable flashlight, Klarus XT2CR.

It worked fine for a few days, I recharged it a few times without any issues.Now it won't charge or turn on now matter how long I keep it plugged in.

The light on the side is supposed to be a solid green light when charging, then solid red when fully charged.
    It's now blinking (I assume it's yellow) and not charging.

The light wasn't dropped or abused in any way.
    The battery is inserted the right way since it worked just fine before the battery got so low it stopped working.

It takes one single 1850 battery and I don't have any other to test if it's a battery issue, just the one that came with the light so it's the proper one and it's brand new.

I tried a different USB charging cable but the result is the same.Light blinking and not charging. :scratch:

20170731065542423.jpg

The manual says the blinking light means "inspection required" but I have no idea what I'm supposed to inspect or do.
    Or if it's some kind of inspection that needs to be done at the factory.
    I assume the light is still under warranty so I don't want to take it appart.

I contacted my dealer about the issue but I have not heard back from them yet.

I figured some INGO folks might know what to do.
    Plug it in, then turn on. Will tell you if the charger is good.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Why did you need to recharge it so many times if you've had it a week? That would be a red flag for me. My Fenix UC35 gets carried/used daily and only needs charged every 3ish weeks or so. I'd send it back.

It wasn't that many times.
    Well I charged it fully when I first got it since it didn't come with a fully charged battery.
    That's what the manual recommended.
    Then I used it a few times and charged it after to keep it fully charged.Each time the battery was still above 70% when I charged it so it didn't take long to have it fully charged.
    I guess it depends on how long you use it each day.
    Last time I used it was was close to an hour in turbo mode so the battery got pretty low.

I don't think you can over charge it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It wasn't that many times.
    Well I charged it fully when I first got it since it didn't come with a fully charged battery.
    That's what the manual recommended.
    Then I used it a few times and charged it after to keep it fully charged.Each time the battery was still above 70% when I charged it so it didn't take long to have it fully charged.
    I guess it depends on how long you use it each day.
    Last time I used it was was close to an hour in turbo mode so the battery got pretty low.

I don't think you can over charge it.

The dealer's website says to charge and discharge the new batteries a few times.

• New batteries come in a discharged condition and must be fully charged before use. It is recommended that you fully charge and discharge the new battery two to four times to allow it to reach its maximum rated capacity.

• Keep the battery healthy by fully charging and then fully discharging it periodically. Exceptions to the rule are Li-Ion batteries, which do not suffer from the memory effect.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Yeah your battery probably took a set. Since you never discharged it fully. It may have ruined the battery. A lot of chargers these days will actually drain the battery first before recharging it.

Good news is you can buy 18650s all.over the place and they are pretty inexpensive.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Yeah your battery probably took a set. Since you never discharged it fully. It may have ruined the battery. A lot of chargers these days will actually drain the battery first before recharging it.

Good news is you can buy 18650s all.over the place and they are pretty inexpensive.

Not over here.
    I went to 3 different stores that sell batteries.
    I couldn't find a single 18650.
    One employee said he never even seen that model before.
    They had over 70 types of batteries but no 18650.
    No luck finding CR123A either.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Still no luck finding a 18650 today. :faint:

I was told I could use two CR123A instead.But apparently just as hard to find around here. :scratch:

All the flashlights I see in stores take AAA or AA batteries.

Jaredjosh

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2009
    Indy
    The vape shop idea is a great one as many vape mods take 18650's. You will more than likely need to find a real vape shop and not just a tobacco shop. Looking at Google your selections are not far and wide but I did find one. I have no idea if this shop has what you need or if it's still open for business but hey, at least you can let your fingers do the walking.

396 Route de Dieppe, 76770 Malaunay, France smoke2vape.fr

+33 9 81 71 35 67

Note. Some 18650 batteries are protected and some are button tops. Be sure the 18650 you get is compatible and safe to use in whatever device you intend to use it for. Do your research before buying due to the hazards that miss-using a 18650 can cause.

Last edited:

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Still no luck finding a 18650 today. :faint:

I was told I could use two CR123A instead.But apparently just as hard to find around here. :scratch:

All the flashlights I see in stores take AAA or AA batteries.

be careful with 2 cr123A. I believe they are 3 volts, so they'll be 6 volts in series. 18650s are 3.7 volts. Make sure your flashlight will handle it.

Top Bottom