• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I drink it straight off and on, don't know of other brands besides the Saveurs. The ritual takes too long for me.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Dancing with The green fairy. Much different oversea's than imports. Had the Czech and Spanish style before the ban lift. The Spanish was clear. Grande wormwood grows in the backyard and is a very good insect repellent. Most likely drank the PBR of absinthe. The clear had the taste of grass flavored moonshine.

I think enough time has passed since the bottles were consumed that all I can say it is a very different intoxicatingly beverage. We lit it on fire the first few times like they did in Czech but then started doing like Ernest Hemingway would have. Sugar cubes and the glasses watching the clouds float around.

Of the now legal small distillers which one is the classic French style. Might be well worth the expense to taste some mething better than PBR.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I only drink it in Europe...but I drink lots of it when I'm there. I prefer the orange over the green.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've been known to partake. I make it a point to visit Jean Laffite's Old Absinthe House every time I visit NOLA. Get to know the folks, and they will "find" some of the "good stuff"!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Long wanted to give it a try, but rumor is that the "real thing" is not readily available in "The States"- comments thus far seem to support that.

A buddy of mine brought some back from Russia, and it caused us to do some research. What we found is "real" absinthe is available in the US and most of the cheaper/touristy European stuff is actually vodka and food coloring.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/inde...tems/187-yes-real-absinthe-is-legal-in-the-us

https://www.liquor.com/articles/biggest-absinthe-myths/#gs.TjkIDKk

“A few exceptions aside, the quality and authenticity of absinthes found in the US market is very good,” Breaux says. And that means they’re made with Artemisia absinthium, AKA grande wormwood, the herb that gives the concoction its name and its flavor. “In contrast, the EU market remains heavily contaminated with offerings that amount to flavored vodka and green dye posing as absinthe, many being offered at prices well beyond their value,” he says.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    A buddy of mine brought some back from Russia, and it caused us to do some research. What we found is "real" absinthe is available in the US and most of the cheaper/touristy European stuff is actually vodka and food coloring.

http://www.wormwoodsociety.org/inde...tems/187-yes-real-absinthe-is-legal-in-the-us

https://www.liquor.com/articles/biggest-absinthe-myths/#gs.TjkIDKk

"Real" green absinthe isn't really all that easy to find in Europe. It's easiest to find in central and Eastern Europe. I've typically seen it clear and orange. And anyone who tries to pass off vodka as absinthe is really dealing with tourists. That would probably be in Western Europe. In Hungary for instance, they ry to pass off Palinka as absinthe (fruit-typically plums, brandy) Absinthe has a flavor similar to jager.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    This is the only experience have with the stuff. I don't drink but I'm sure the "real" stuff is better than what Lance tried to make!!
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BQLdPD_k47s[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is the only experience have with the stuff. I don't drink but I'm sure the "real" stuff is better than what Lance tried to make!!
    [video]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BQLdPD_k47s[/video]

All I'll say, is that I've gotten into trouble after a night of drinking that stuff in Potsdam. I'm very careful now, when I drink that stuff.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I one was looking at USA purchase could one give a recommendation of a classic. The green with a nice louche. Maybe something compatible in beer terms to a craft over the PBR I have had from Spain in the past.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I often use it in cocktails, such as the Corpse Reviver #2 & 100 Year Old Cigar, but rarely drink it on it's own anymore. At 1/4 oz per cocktail, it does last a long time.

Stay away from any brand that "plays up" the bad boy image, a la Lucid.

PapaScout

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 30, 2008
    Live in Wilbur, Work in Indy
    Thanks for the perspective, All!

I've tried greens, blues, reds, and clears across US, German, Czech, French, and Swiss mostly. Some sucked and most are delicious (to me) when the absinthe:water ratio is right.
    Each one changes based on the water ratio/dilution due to releasing the herbaceous oils and aromatics trapped in the alcohol.

Top Bottom