Trump wants a 4th of July military parade on Pennsylvania Avenue? Good idea?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    President Trump witnessed the French military parade on Bastille day during his last visit to France, he was impressed by it; and now apparently he wants to do the same thing in the US.

I'm not sure if he was shocking or if he's really serious about it.

Lots of countries have military parade on their National Day (France, Russia, China, Belgium, even the UK with their Trooping the colours).

Should it be done in the US?

[video=youtube;bd1v26DraCw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd1v26DraCw[/video]

324b3b26-8f60-4a95-bfe6-fbb02807f7cc-AP17195339106984.jpg

263333.jpg

170714-bastille-day-mn-02_7a3abda18dca410d5c89300c0c0afdde.nbcnews-ux-1024-900.jpg

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He said that the day before his UN speech. As much as I think it would be awesome to see. This type of thing isn't in the character of our nation, and it's wasteful spending. I can see parades for returning troops, like what happened after the first desert storm, but doing it just for the sake of doing it, is wasteful.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    He said that the day before his UN speech. As much as I think it would be awesome to see. This type of thing isn't in the character of our nation, and it's wasteful spending. I can see parades for returning troops, like what happened after the first desert storm, but doing it just for the sake of doing it, is wasteful.

You can see it as large scale training/practice.
    It's not just for the sake of doing it.
    The soldiers who take parts in those parades are paid the same if they do practice drill inside their base or if they walk down the street with people cheering.
    Military schools could take part as well and they are already doing parades.Like West Point graduades.
    It's also a great way to honor the veterans and give people pride in their military and country.

160617-M-WQ808-022.JPG

size0.jpg

It's a great way to remember that we owe our freedom and independence to our military.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I am of two minds about it. I grew up on Marine Corps bases across the country and they were all sorts of awesome parades and demonstrations on the bases, but they were primarily for the families of service members. While I do think that such a parade would be really cool, I am also reminded that this country's Constitution basically was designed to discourage us having a standing army, much less the incredibly powerful standing military that we have today.

Because of those national roots, and because it isn't something really seated in our nation's traditions, I am a little bit hesitant about it. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with it or anything, it's just that it isn't something we have historically done that I am aware of, and our military is so powerful that I'm a little unsettled about showing it off in that fashion. It just doesn't seem consistent with our nations history and founding.

The militia was supposed to be our nations primary recourse for self-defense, not a standing army.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I am of two minds about it. I grew up on Marine Corps bases across the country and they were all sorts of awesome parades and demonstrations on the bases, but they were primarily for the families of service members. While I do think that such a parade would be really cool, I am also reminded that this country's Constitution basically was designed to discourage us having a standing army, much less the incredibly powerful standing military that we have today.

Because of those national roots, and because it isn't something really seated in our nation's traditions, I am a little bit hesitant about it. I'm not saying there's anything inherently wrong with it or anything, it's just that it isn't something we have historically done that I am aware of, and our military is so powerful that I'm a little unsettled about showing it off in that fashion. It just doesn't seem consistent with our nations history and founding.

The militia was supposed to be our nations primary recourse for self-defense, not a standing army.

The tyrants that attempt to push their way upon us all is the reason for the standing Military force we have. It is a seriously troubled world.

Bur we all already know this.

You are correct in your statement.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I think it would be an awesome event. Why not show case some of our military greatness. Our troops involved would get show how much we appreciate there work. Although I am sure there will be a few left wing loons booing them. Screw them..

I say do it!

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well from the guy who stood in more parade's ,funerals, dedication events, Change of Commands than I rember It sucks!
    As a spectator let's do it!
    KUT it won't cost much of your tax money!
    The old guard and ceremonial units are already there.
    Complete with horses.
    A full Divsion review that would be sweet.

Did I ever tell you guys about the time a ex wife and wife got in a fight at a dudes furneral?
    Or the wife who jumped on the coffin while we were carrying out?

Oh BTW it is our tradition for the US to have events like this!
    It just hasn't been a thing since the 50's

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...parade-through-the-capital-isnt-unprecedented

Oh and another thing this whole Militia or National Guard thing. Kinda went out the window after the war of 1812.
    The regular forces of today are actually closer to mercenaries than ever before do 20 years then work as a contractor or in the military industry?
    I encountered many persons who were less than patriotic wearing a uniform. But gladly got paid!

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You can see it as large scale training/practice.
    It's not just for the sake of doing it.
    The soldiers who take parts in those parades are paid the same if they do practice drill inside their base or if they walk down the street with people cheering.
    Military schools could take part as well and they are already doing parades.Like West Point graduades.
    It's also a great way to honor the veterans and give people pride in their military and country.

160617-M-WQ808-022.JPG

size0.jpg

It's a great way to remember that we owe our freedom and independence to our military.

Or to be reminded of the threat a large standing army has traditionally posed to freedom.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I am against it, only because I've done many change of command ceremonies. Wearing Alphas or Dress Blues in July in DC...no thank you.

I can't remember where I heard it, but I think I remember it being said that the soldier that actually do this stuff, hate it.

One thing I don't people consider, is the cost associated with such a spectacle. The 1991 Gulf Parade was $12 Million (not adjusted). It included ONE M1 Abrams. If Trump wants a parade that is comparable to all the other great military parades of contemporary times, that cost would be staggering... and for what? I would hope that Congress would step in and poo-poo that nonsense, if the president every tried to seriously enact it. And in today's political climate, you can bet that it certainly would not go over smoothly.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I can't remember where I heard it, but I think I remember it being said that the soldier that actually do this stuff, hate it.

One thing I don't people consider, is the cost associated with such a spectacle. The 1991 Gulf Parade was $12 Million (not adjusted). It included ONE M1 Abrams. If Trump wants a parade that is comparable to all the other great military parades of contemporary times, that cost would be staggering... and for what? I would hope that Congress would step in and poo-poo that nonsense, if the president every tried to seriously enact it. And in today's political climate, you can bet that it certainly would not go over smoothly.

That one tank is not very fuel efficient.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles

Practicing for something like this is a PITA !!!!!

YES, WE HATE IT !!!!!

They make us get up, EARLY, assemble on the Parade Field, several hours, before anyone shows up, then

we must stand at attention, or Parade Rest, till all the "idiots",

quit talking about how "great" someone or something is .....

Then we march around in front of a lot of "brass", and civilians,

and then we "stand around", until dismissed .....

Then we still have to wait for "CHOW" .....

Again, one giant PITA .....

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

Not saying im for or against, but if its all about the money, maybe we can use all the taxpayer funds that are wasted on frivolous studies by the .gov to pay for it. Hell, 20 trillion in debt, whats a few mill on a parade! Maybe we couls ask Killary to pay for the first year instead of funding Antifa. Maybe we could get Soros to pay for a few years worth of parades instead of funding BLM bulls**t! Maybe we could fund the parades instead of conducting studies on bs global warming. Maybe we could stop paying taxpayer money into welfare and supporting an assload of able bodied Americans who dont know who's their baby daddy, and fund it that way! Maybe we could hold big pharma responsible, instead of having a taxpayer paid court that pays for the fraud associated with vaccine related illness/death, pay for it. Maybe we could end the fraud of the Irs, fed reserve, dept of education, etc.,and use those funds to pay for it!
    Just saying, id rather see the money wasted ( if you call promoting our military wasted) that way than the above few examples.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    No. That sh** is for tyrants with armies that march funny. We are better than that.

We dont need parades to show our worth. We show our worth where the rubber meets the road; in combat. Just like you dont unholster to show your loaded weapon off in public, we dont parade. Wanna see how good we are? Do something to make us kick your ***. Parades are for those that cant fight.
    'Murica!

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Not saying im for or against, but if its all about the money, maybe we can use all the taxpayer funds that are wasted on frivolous studies by the .gov to pay for it. Hell, 20 trillion in debt, whats a few mill on a parade! Maybe we couls ask Killary to pay for the first year instead of funding Antifa. Maybe we could get Soros to pay for a few years worth of parades instead of funding BLM bulls**t! Maybe we could fund the parades instead of conducting studies on bs global warming. Maybe we could stop paying taxpayer money into welfare and supporting an assload of able bodied Americans who dont know who's their baby daddy, and fund it that way! Maybe we could hold big pharma responsible, instead of having a taxpayer paid court that pays for the fraud associated with vaccine related illness/death, pay for it. Maybe we could end the fraud of the Irs, fed reserve, dept of education, etc.,and use those funds to pay for it!
    Just saying, id rather see the money wasted ( if you call promoting our military wasted) that way than the above few examples.

I'm assuming this is a rhetorical rant.

Top Bottom