• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I know in this group, they'll be people into old tractors. I am now one.

Short background. My Grandpa started farming in the early '40s, so my Dad grew up on what would be a small to average sized farm for Michigan in the '40s and '50s (Grandpa added acres as money allowed). The first tractor Grandpa bought when he started farming was an Allis Chalmers B. A small row-crop tractor for farms of 100 acres or less. Eventually, the farm outgrew the tractor, but my Dad had a soft place in his heart for Persian Orange model Bs.

Fast forward to the early '90s- Dad spied a B for sale at a nearby equipment dealer and impulse bought. Dad hadn't lived on a farm since the late '50s and had spent a good career as an electronic and software engineer in missiles first (Nike and Talos) and the biotech...but always loved that he came from the farm. Dad used this tractor with a 6' Woods finishing mower for several years, babying it, up until about 3 or so years ago when he encountered carb trouble and parked it in the barn, planning to get around to it, then he offered it to me. Well, I never found the time to pick it up and haul it home (cue: "Cat's In The Cradle"). Dad passed away in March, and since then I have determined to get it home and running. The carb is all cleaned up and is in the middle of getting painted. After doing all the regular maintenance stuff, hope to get it fired up within a week. Eventually, i will do a full restore, but for now, just cleaning it up and getting it going.

Here's a pic my Mom took of Dad mowing, and another of the tractor after I got it home last Saturday and powerwashed:

View attachment 59390

View attachment 59391

What can I say- I'm my father's son.

Anyone else into old tractors....give a newbie some pointers? If it's mechanical, I can tear it apart and fix it, but I'll always listen to good advice.

Last edited:

tjh88

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 4, 2013
    Vallonia
    I've got a good friend that got one set up almost identical to yours. He uses it around his farm mainly for mowing lanes and such. He has a Farmall F12 that was his grandfathers. It needs gone though as it's not been running for 30+ years. It has been kept under roof. He has a Cockshutt Blackhawk 35 his grandfather bought new. Stilll uses it for hay and bush hogging. Enjoy the family history. Sorry for the loss of you father. Mine's been gone about 2 years now. Not much fun but smile in his memory more often than crying for the loss. That's the way they would want it.

Tim

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    Sorry to hear about your dad but happy he can live on thru you and the tractor. Local clubs and internet forums are a good start. If you have any questions just ask. My best advice would be go a at a pace to enjoy working on it. No reason to hurry and get it done to soon. Seem to recall you have a couple of sons, good way for them to learn, tractors are very forgiving.

Funny, just thinking the other day I used to mow with my dad on a little allis, been 50 years or so but still brings a smile to my face. I have 8 or so in different states of despair (or at least that's what others tell me) but like me they still work. I kind of like my tractors with their history showing, nothing wrong with their work clothes.

Again any question just ask, or even if you just want to talk im here.

Enjoy your tractor, your dad will be right there with you.

91FXRS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    NWI
    HoughMade, I am sure you know but the harvest fest is this weekend. Seems like something you would enjoy.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    HoughMade, I am sure you know but the harvest fest is this weekend. Seems like something you would enjoy.

I'll be there tomorrow afternoon. Minneapolis-Moline featured. My Dad had a MM model U when I was real little, so it will be fun seeing those. Strangely, we have the hand crank for the U, but not the AC B, and the U has been gone for 25 years. I'll be looking for a crank at the flea market.

Thanks, all, for the encouragement. I just flat-out love old machines. My younger son is right there with me puttering around. the older one probably would, but he's off to college. There's an outside chance he may come over for the Fall Festival.

It's always a little sad to know Dad won't be there working with me, but I'll see him again some day. This I know.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Great story. I love old tractors and would like to get one. Working on a farm is the best job I ever had.

With a tractor like that I'd just clean it up well and fix what needs fixed. I'd want it to stay just how grandpa and dad left it after being used.

jasonh31

Marksman
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    North Manchester
    I farm and my newest tractor is a 1971 ih 1456. I own a 1949 John Deere B that my grandpa bought new and a 1951 farmall m that my great grandfather bought new. Both still get used for various jobs. Old tractors are fun.

HubertGummer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 7, 2016
    McCordsville
    Personally a fan of Farmall H's and M's. Grew up around them at my grandpa's house. Would love to restore one but don't have the place, time or money.

I love all old machines though...something about simple, computer-free mechanics.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Personally a fan of Farmall H's and M's. Grew up around them at my grandpa's house. Would love to restore one but don't have the place, time or money.

I love all old machines though...something about simple, computer-free mechanics.

Agreed. Heck, this tractor doesn't even have a coil....or 12 volts.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    The GF's family is into oil pulls; they have several Rumley's including the one that belonged to their great grandfather after they found it at auction several years ago!

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    The GF's family is into oil pulls; they have several Rumley's including the one that belonged to their great grandfather after they found it at auction several years ago!

Excellent. Rumely was bought by Allis Chalmers in 1931, so they're part of the family.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We had an old Farmall H that was the first tractor I ever drove. Push the starter button, three cranks and it fired up every time. It had an air hose that you could remove a spark plug, screw in the end of the hose in in it's place and use it to air up a tire. It worked!! I always thought it was 35 HP, it was maybe 21 HP at the drawbar but it could pull anything.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Not as cool as yours, but I mow and snowblow with a 1968 Bolens 1050. Bought it 4 or 5 yrs ago from a buddy of mine. Came with the deck, snowblower, push blade, and a roto-tiller

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    So sorry to hear about your dad Hough. Having that tractor and keeping it going is a great legacy for your family.

Check out smokstack.com. They have an awesome sub forum for tractors. They will be able to help you with any info and give you awesome tips. It's a great forum.

Please post about your progress with the tractor. What an awesome gift to have.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    Stacked a ton (several, actually) of hay behind an old farmall m that was then conveyed to the hayloft under the power of a super c. We never owned any farm land, but my stepdad was always into wheel horse lawn tractors, I think he's up to seven of them now.

eta. County line orchard has a fleet of old farmalls for wagon rides to the fields, beautiful old workhorses.

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    3637a170.jpg

Swapped a large Simplicity towards this 8N from Smith's (Edwardsburg, MI) some years back for the sole purpose of grading our private road and moving trailers on the property. Was Still 6V, smoked a little and desperately needed brake work; but while going thru old pics just now to find this, realized I miss it more than the exwife. Guess in spite of all it's problems, it was just more dependable than she was. Think the guy that bought it from me when we moved to the city talked his neighbor into driving all the way from down around Delphi to haul it for him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom