• ...and so much more!
  • indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    You were just awoken from a nap because the a**hole driveway sealcoating salesman rang your doorbell despite the "no soliciting" sign at the front of the neighborhood. So you're standing in your doorway behind the security door, dogs behind you. He wants to talk about driveway sealcoating, and you chase him off because... well, you're a real American, and real Americans hate solicitors.

You watch as he and his big fat white passenger back down your driveway in their big fat white (unmarked) Honda minivan and then drive out of the neighborhood.

You return to the couch with the dogs.

As your nap fog starts to clear you realize that he didn't stop at any other houses on his way out of the neighborhood. Odd. Other houses need driveway sealcoating, but he didn't stop at any of them.

Crap, he was casing your house.

What would/should you have done differently in this case, if anything? (For example, having his picture and license plate might come in handy in the future).

Asking for a friend, of course.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Clearly the answer is simple. Pour a concrete driveway. :)

Really though, game cameras are a great resource. I'd be happy to help you get one or two bought and mounted up. The other option is full blown camera system for the house which I'm not much help on.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This just occurred to me....go to the door with your phone and if it's a solicitor, as he's winding up to give his spiel, take his picture. As he's backing down the driveway, take a picture of his vehicle too. If anything does happen, at least you have a lead, maybe.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Clearly the answer is simple. Pour a concrete driveway. :)

Really though, game cameras are a great resource. I'd be happy to help you get one or two bought and mounted up. The other option is full blown camera system for the house which I'm not much help on.

I am interested in inexpensive game cameras with truly invisible flash for covert survielance around the house. Can you suggest any?

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Had this happen once! Hit the remote opened my gate which has purple stripe and beware of dog and posted no trespassing sign. The brain child follows me in my drive. He gets out I tell him to NO leave now! He continues on by this time my shirt is untucked finger on release he says he is going to get a flyer out of his truck. Now I tell him no your not, you have got two seconds to get off my property or I am calling 911 and 1911 in that order, till he goes on now I am shirt off and facing him he got the hint real fast and sprayed gravel out of my drive.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Unfortunately the signs at the entrances to neighborhoods don't do any good. If you want to take any kind of legal action (file a complaint), you must have the sign on your house by the door. WTHR did a story about this subject just a couple of months ago. Also, I believe all solicitors are required to have a license, so ask them to see it. If they're legit, they'll have one. If not, they'll probably leave (if they have a lick of sense that is).

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I am interested in inexpensive game cameras with truly invisible flash for covert survielance around the house. Can you suggest any?

I don't know what your definition of inexpensive is, but you get what you pay for in game cams. A cheap one may work great for a year and then just quit.

I suggest starting here for your information search. You will want a black flash aka no glow camera for this application.
    Chasingame.com discussion forum View forum - Trail Camera Forums

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You were just awoken from a nap because the a**hole driveway sealcoating salesman rang your doorbell despite the "no soliciting" sign at the front of the neighborhood. So you're standing in your doorway behind the security door, dogs behind you. He wants to talk about driveway sealcoating, and you chase him off because... well, you're a real American, and real Americans hate solicitors.

You watch as he and his big fat white passenger back down your driveway in their big fat white (unmarked) Honda minivan and then drive out of the neighborhood.

You return to the couch with the dogs.

As your nap fog starts to clear you realize that he didn't stop at any other houses on his way out of the neighborhood. Odd. Other houses need driveway sealcoating, but he didn't stop at any of them.

Crap, he was casing your house.

What would/should you have done differently in this case, if anything? (For example, having his picture and license plate might come in handy in the future).

Asking for a friend, of course.

Only house in the 'hood with an asphalt driveway?

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I wouldn't give it much thought and would do the same thing you did. If I thought every door to door salesman was casing my house, I would never get any sleep. Last week alone I had Kirby salesman & a roofing contractor (with my truck in drive that says roofing & siding in big letters on it)..........I usually try hiring them guys because they are a devoted bunch. I think door to door sales is coming back, there are a lot of big companies doing cold calls now days.

Lot of them people are just trying to make an honest living. Society and thugs have made us all not trust one another....where in reality 98% of the population are good people, it's the other 8,000,000 who give the rest of the country a bad name. I am lucky enough to have some great neighbors who are busy bodies and a little nosey....they are the best security a guy can have. No one visits my home when I am gone unless I know about it. They miss very little.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    I have day/night cameras covering all approaches to the abode that record on motion, additional ones that cover the entranceways close up. I consider them a good investment.

Top Bottom