• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Anyone drive to Orlando on a regular basis? We are going to leave out after school. So we will miss Atlanta traffic.

Anyone have any suggestions where to stay? I don't know anything about Georgia, other than we want to stay away from Atlanta.

Thanks

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We stayed in a nice Fairfield inn in Ackworth, pretty decent area, and quite a few restaurants and a grocery store right across the street. Stayed at another Fairfield a couple weeks ago on the way home from Florida, in Warner Robins. That one was nice, but a couple miles off the interstate, and not as new and up to date as the one in Ackworth, but still plenty of restaurants and stores nearby.

FYI: Ackworth is an hour or less North of Atlanta, Warner Robins is maybe 2 hours south of Atlanta.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We just drove it a couple weeks ago, heading south, we went through on a Saturday morning without a problem, coming home, we hit Atlanta around 8:30 Sunday morning, once again, zero traffic. It can be done, but it takes a little planning.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    We stayed in a nice Fairfield inn in Ackworth, pretty decent area, and quite a few restaurants and a grocery store right across the street. Stayed at another Fairfield a couple weeks ago on the way home from Florida, in Warner Robins. That one was nice, but a couple miles off the interstate, and not as new and up to date as the one in Ackworth, but still plenty of restaurants and stores nearby.

FYI: Ackworth is an hour or less North of Atlanta, Warner Robins is maybe 2 hours south of Atlanta.

Sound like Warner Robbins might be just the Ticket.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Add me to the 'middle of the night' camp. Construction to the north, like fattie said up above, and cops out the wazoo to the south will be your biggest issue if you hit ATL any time after about 9pm. When we've gone, we usually leave at a time to blow through late and either press on all the way through or stop south of the city. Macon, Cordele, or Valdosta (if you're feeling froggy) all have good places to stay to get a few hours of shuteye before the 2nd leg of the journey.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Leaving right after school + the drive-time (with usual potty breaks etc) puts him in Atlanta aroun 2-5 am... I've never had any problems with ATL traffic at that hour.

Ugh! I may decide to deal with the traffic!:n00b: Reading all of the other comments though it does sound like it's possible to get thru relatively unscathed with a little advance planning though.:yesway:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Agreed, done it many times from Indy to ATL, and even on down into North East FL. It is not a bad trip.

I went north through Atlanta from St. Augustine a few weeks ago in the early afternoon and it wasn't that bad even with a significant number of Floridians fleeing north from the hurricane.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I always tell everyone would you rather be miserable one day or two? Rather blow one day or two of vacation, just knock it out and be done.
    We drove home from Orlando On Christmas Eve 2015, we left the parking lot of our Disney resort at 5:30 am, and pulled into our driveway in Clarksville Indiana at 5:30 pm! I told my wife as we were unloading the car that if I knew the drive would be that easy every time, I'd go down there every 3 months.:):

Top Bottom