• ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    https://www.cbssports.com/college-b...es-hit-with-federal-fraud-corruption-charges/
    Jim Gatto, director of global sports marketing for Adidas, was among those arrested. He's accused of helping funnel approximately $100,000 to the family of an "All-American high school basketball player" to secure the prospect's commitment to a school Adidas sponsors. According to documents, the prospect committed in June. The only "All-American high school basketball player" who committed to a school Adidas sponsors in June is Brian Bowen. He's now enrolled at Louisville.

Louisville coach Rick Pitino was asked about Bowen's commitment in June.

"We got lucky on this one," Pitino said. "I had an AAU director call me and say, 'Would you be interested in a basketball player?' I said ... 'Yeah, I'd be really interested.' But [Bowen and his people] had to come in unofficially, pay for their hotels, pay for their meals. So we spent zero dollars recruiting a five-star athlete who I loved when I saw him play. In my 40-some-odd years of coaching, this is the luckiest I've been."

We'll see what the FBI digs up to see how involved Pitino was and how much "luck" was actually involved.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    of course he will. I am so tired of seeing him in the news. I guess I live in the wrong region because he cannot be avoided.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    DKp7udZUIAAK1xl.jpg

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    UofL is obviously "university-6" and Bowen is obviously player-10.

FBI and wiretaps on U of L coaches. Pitino has a teflon ass, and maybe he was careful not to say anything over the phone or write anything down. But even if he's not directly implicated, I just can't see the University, plagued with scandals outside of sports, can tolerate yet another scandal involving UofL Basketball.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I didn't believe Pitino didn't know about the strippers, he's a total control freak and would know everything to the nth degree of detail. He's going down on this one.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    The successful coaches know when to zig and when to zag.
    He may go down depending on the pressure from the top of the administration.
    U of L Basketball is a money making machine.
    It's going to have to be clear evidence Pitino was directly involved to can his tail.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't keep up with UL sports...I saw a headline this afternoon on of the beat writers was saying the NCAA ought to give them the death penalty. That really killed SMU football. I wonder what it old take for the NCAA to uncork that particular punishment again...

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    He will be gone in the morning.

Maybe not tomorrow, but yeah, he probably will be gone. That prostitute scandal some years back ain't gonna help him.

Probably not by morning. Maybe end of the week. But the more that comes out, the harder it is to believe his teflon ass acans save him. Public opinion has been steadily declining with each scandal. Sportswriters are shredding him.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I don't keep up with UL sports...I saw a headline this afternoon on of the beat writers was saying the NCAA ought to give them the death penalty. That really killed SMU football. I wonder what it old take for the NCAA to uncork that particular punishment again...

I saw that headline.

I remember the SMU thing. Alumni boosters were paying players. They weren't even trying to hide it.

Acording to NCAA rules, the head coach is responsible for their program obeying the rules. Pitino is playing astonished. I ain't buying it. But even if he didn't know, he's responsible. And if he didn't know, he's got to be the dumbest NCAA head coach in the history of ever.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I saw that headline.

I remember the SMU thing. Alumni boosters were paying players. They weren't even trying to hide it.

Acording to NCAA rules, the head coach is responsible for their program obeying the rules. Pitino is playing astonished. I ain't buying it. But even if he didn't know, he's responsible. And if he didn't know, he's got to be the dumbest NCAA head coach in the history of ever.

Yes, generally speaking. I have seen instances where assistants were doing stuff without the HC's knowledge. But it's sounding like there's a pattern of disregard of the rules and the NCAA usually really hates that.

I'd forgotten about the stripper/prostitution thing until this thread. What else has happened down there?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The successful coaches know when to zig and when to zag.
    He may go down depending on the pressure from the top of the administration.
    U of L Basketball is a money making machine.
    It's going to have to be clear evidence Pitino was directly involved to can his tail.

It doesn't matter. People are getting tired of his scandals. He's used up his allotment of ignorance. If he wasn't involeved, then he must be too stupid to keep, for not knowing.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I saw that headline.

Roy Williams has made a career out of playing dumb. Just keep confessing to more minor violations in the women's lacrosse program and you can delay punishment for decades.

sparky32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 5, 2013
    Morgantown
    Pitino will not be coaching Louisville if this all holds true. Once the feds get involved those arrested will sing like canaries. It might bode well for IU as one of the top recruits in the nation for 2018 is down to Louisville or IU for commit.... I can only hope.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    There will be "student athletes" claiming victim status before this is over. Victims my @$$! Big time NCAA basketball has been NBA prep for a long time. AAU coaches and scouts are probably as dirty as anybody. Who is it here that always says "follow the money"?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Pitino will not be coaching Louisville if this all holds true. Once the feds get involved those arrested will sing like canaries. It might bode well for IU as one of the top recruits in the nation for 2018 is down to Louisville or IU for commit.... I can only hope.

When you have sportswriters saying Louisville Basketball deserves the death penalty I imagine that's going to weigh heavily on the minds of recruits, especially those on the fence.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Yes, generally speaking. I have seen instances where assistants were doing stuff without the HC's knowledge. But it's sounding like there's a pattern of disregard of the rules and the NCAA usually really hates that.

I'd forgotten about the stripper/prostitution thing until this thread. What else has happened down there?

"University of Louisville basketball coach Rick Pitino told police that he had consensual sex with Karen Cunagin Sypher at a Louisville restaurant where he'd been drinking on Aug. 1, 2003.

He also told police that he later gave Sypher $3,000 to have an abortion, according to Louisville Metro Police reports The Courier-Journal obtained under the Kentucky Open Records Act.

But Rick Pitino denied Sypher's allegations that he raped her at Porcini, after the restaurant closed, and again a few weeks later at a different location, police records show. And prosecutors who have reviewed Sypher's claims say Pitino won't be charged.

Karen Sypher has been indicted by a federal grand jury on charges of conspiring to extort money from Pitino in exchange for her silence about the alleged crimes, and with lying to the FBI. She has pleaded not guilty.
    She reported the alleged rapes to Metro Police on July 9, about two months after she was indicted.

The Metro Police records show that the commander of the sex offense unit, who investigated Sypher's claims and interviewed her twice in July, found problems in her accounts of both incidents — which he said raised questions about her credibility."

Rick Pitino told Louisville police sex with Karen Sypher was consensual not rape

The woman was eventually convicted of attempting to extort money and sent to prison, while he kept his job and his wife.

Note: because someone always manages to get bent out of shape. This is provided as information to answer the man's question. It is not meant as an invitation to argue about any of the details of the story.

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Normally I would agree with those that believe Pitino is safe but in with this scandal coming while UL is still on probation for the prostitution scandal and in the middle of appealing the removal of their championship, even the inept NCAA will have to come down hard on them and Pitino. Pitino and likely the AD will be fired in an attempt to mitigate some of the NCAA's ire if nothing else. It also sounds like fans and students are turning against him as well and that support has been what saved him in the past.

This is likely only the tip of the iceberg, I expect many more schools and coaches to be in jeopardy before this is over.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    If Penn State football didn't get the Death Penalty, then the University of Louisville (which really is a cool campus) won't either.

Hopefully that slimeball Pitino will be fired.

And I hope the investigation also ensnares Calipari.

Top Bottom