Is there suppose to be smoke coming out of my alternator?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So we loaded up to go to church today, a loud whining was coming from under the hood , popped it open at church and smoke was just rolling out of the alternator.....so not what I wanted to do today, but $228.95 later, 3 bolts, a spilled cup of coffee, and a burnt finger.....we are back on the road.......

And silly me I thought all we smoked was ribs......smoked auto parts......hhhmmmmm

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    At least it's easy to R&R it. Some vehicles just plain suck. My wife had a Olds Cutlass Calis with the quad 4. Once you finally got it loose, the motor had to be jacked up so you could get it out.

rkwhyte2

aka: Vinny
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Sheridan
    At least it's easy to R&R it. Some vehicles just plain suck. My wife had a Olds Cutlass Calis with the quad 4. Once you finally got it loose, the motor had to be jacked up so you could get it out.
    Had a Z-24 with that motor. Loved the engine until it went boom.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    $228 with a $55 core

07 jeep commander.....weirdest v8 the spark plugs are on the top of the heads....easy to get to.....the hi po engine has a set of plugs on both top and borrow of the heads.....I so wanted a hemi, but we got the truck for about $6500 under book 3 years ago....

My standard luck is 100 miles from anywhere, k mart tools, raining, side of the road at dusk.....so in my garage with no tow bill.....I'm a happy man....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    That may include the core charge. Rockauto.com has them from $107 to $282 for a new one. But when you're on the side of the road or a parking lot, what is available is usually cheaper than a tow and down time.
    This^^^ The brick & mortar stores are usually 70% higher than rockauto on exact same part (same brand, same part #), but when it the difference between getting home and not, you pay the convenience "fee" of the brick & mortar place...

Of course, when they say, "I can have it here in 2 days" I say "No thank-you" because rockauto usually gets parts to me faster than that.

Top Bottom