• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Anyone know where i might be able to find a good amount of slate in/near Cass County? We are setting up a 125 gal tank for our 2 map turtles, mollies, and plecos. I understand that no substrate is preferable with turtles, but we prefer to have something. Possibly some sand as well. We have lots of quarries nearby, but most of those are limestone, i believe. I'd like some larger pieces of slate. Thanks!

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Can I ask why not limestone?

Granted - not all limestone is created equal - and some of it won't be suitable...

But some good dimensional limestone (Think limestone building blocks - not the stuff used for crushed stone) will be A-OK as well.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Can I ask why not limestone?

Granted - not all limestone is created equal - and some of it won't be suitable...

But some good dimensional limestone (Think limestone building blocks - not the stuff used for crushed stone) will be A-OK as well.

I'm kinda leery of using limestone, i read it is not recommended, and we already have pretty hard water with plenty of lime deposits. I wouldn't know what would be safe to use.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If using limestone be sure the tank inhabitants can tolerate the effects it will have on the water chemistry. You can probably find what you're looking for at a better pet store or landscaping center but it will be pricey.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I didn't even think about how it'd affect water chemistry. :n00b: I was just going on a water clarity standpoint.

Never mind me, then. :D

It may be easier to find granite than slate, too. Or even sandstone.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Granite should be ok, but i prefer slate, i may want to build some stuff up with it. Sandstone isn't recommended either, at least some types. There is a landscaping place in Walton that has slate, but it looks like smaller pieces. I think it's .98 per lb. I might try some of it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We had looked into building a faux rock formation for our 180 gallon tank but when we looked a little further into it they recommended flushing and filling the tank at least 10 times allowing it to sit for a few days full each time. This allowed most of the calcium and other bad things in the concrete to leach out without killing expensive (or cheap) fish. We're on a well so the thought of flushing 1800 gallons out the window wasn't particularly appealing.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    We had looked into building a faux rock formation for our 180 gallon tank but when we looked a little further into it they recommended flushing and filling the tank at least 10 times allowing it to sit for a few days full each time. This allowed most of the calcium and other bad things in the concrete to leach out without killing expensive (or cheap) fish. We're on a well so the thought of flushing 1800 gallons out the window wasn't particularly appealing.

My theory is, "If the fish can't handle the tank, get different fish. ":rockwoot:

Haven't had the time to fool with one in years.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    My theory is, "If the fish can't handle the tank, get different fish. ":rockwoot:

Haven't had the time to fool with one in years.

we got rid of our tanks years ago, when we thought we were going to move out of state. always kinda missed them, though, and would still stop at pet stores to look. husband said never again. then i got a small tank for my office at work, but it didn't work out, so i brought it home. hubby got bored one winter day and decided to set it up, and it just slowly snowballed from there. we are staying with low maintenance fish, no more salt water or discus.

Last edited:

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    It may sound crazy but check with some roofing contractors. Some of the best slate I ever used came from an old house with a slate roof that someone had redone.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    we got rid of our tanks years ago, when we thought we were going to move out of state. always kinda missed them, though, and would still stop at pet stores to look. husband said never again. then i got a small tank for my office at work, but it didn't work out, so i brought it home. hubby got bored one winter day and decided to set it up, and it just slowly snowballed from there. we are staying with low maintenance fish, no more salt water or discus.

When my son moved out from home, he asked if I wanted to keep his reef tank in his old room, which was going to be my new home-office. I really enjoyed having it, and I ended up getting more live rock, soft corrals, and various fish and invertebrates. But man, that reef tank required more maintenance than any aquarium I've ever had. At one point, the filter system overflow got stuck and about five gallons of salt water overflowed onto the floor, and that was it for me and I gave it all away.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    When my son moved out from home, he asked if I wanted to keep his reef tank in his old room, which was going to be my new home-office. I really enjoyed having it, and I ended up getting more live rock, soft corrals, and various fish and invertebrates. But man, that reef tank required more maintenance than any aquarium I've ever had. At one point, the filter system overflow got stuck and about five gallons of salt water overflowed onto the floor, and that was it for me and I gave it all away.
    That is one of my fears with using a sump. My husband just bought a nice used one, but I'm still figuring out how to set it up. I definitely do not want water all over the floor!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had a leaky powerfilter (one of those that hang over the edge of the tank) and didn't discover it for awhile. I had a moldy spot start showing up on the carpet and the subfloor was separating.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I had a leaky powerfilter (one of those that hang over the edge of the tank) and didn't discover it for awhile. I had a moldy spot start showing up on the carpet and the subfloor was separating.

Had that happen under our refrigerator on wood laminate. :( With this tank, i think i would notice it leaking, but not if I'm sleeping or not home!

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Bet you don't have any slate. ;)

Unless, of course, it's small pieces in glacial outwash.

You are correct...It crumbles and the slate colored rock I was referring to has Trilobite tracks in it so I am thinking sandstone...

I KNEW you were going to correct me!!!!!!!

I just wanted to help CindyE so bad because...I don't know...She just seems so dang nice on here....She's like Mom and Indygal that way...

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    You are correct...It crumbles and the slate colored rock I was referring to has Trilobite tracks in it so I am thinking sandstone...

I finally have a reputation!

And I do believe that you're confusing slate with shale. You DO have lots of shale.

Slate is metamorphosed shale - and the only metamorphic rocks we have here in IN are ones that have been transported in via glaciation (and subsequent outwash) and on train cars/trucks for rail-beds. :D

Slate will "tink" when struck with something metallic, shale will "thunk" when struck. Not a fool-proof test, but it holds true. Kind of like how leaded glass will "ting" all purdy-like when tapped, but soda glass doesn't.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN

I just wanted to help CindyE so bad because...I don't know...She just seems so dang nice on here....She's like Mom and Indygal that way...

:)

Top Bottom