• To poke or not to poke

• Total voters

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    It's taken 39 years but I have finally manage to smash a finger in a car door. Blood under the nail was immediate and had the usual intense pain for about 1 1/2 hours. Took some ibuprofen a couple of hours ago it still hurts but it's not totally throbbing anymore. I've always heard of people using a hot paper clip to release the blood but never tried it. So a little while ago I made and attempt to do it. My wife the whole time was in my ear about infections and telling my not to do it. Mind you she is a nurse at a hand to shoulder surgery center but refused to help :). Anyway it's my right thumb and I'm right handed so it's quite hard to heat up a paper clip to glowing red and then try to stab it through my nail:):. I tried a couple of times without success. Contrary to what I was reading it felt damn hot when touching my nail.

In the past I've always just let it take it's natural course. But now I'm kinda curious about the hole in the nail idea. What you think should I or shouldn't ?

zmjqx3.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think that poking hot steel in wounds went out a long time ago, but it did look impressive in Braveheart.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    so many holes, which one would be best? LOL

Not sure if im brave enough to try the hot metal again. However the pain seems to coming back some. Wife still won't help, so much working at the hand center!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    When I attempted to drive out a wheel bearing with my thumb followed by a 10lb sledge, I opted not to poke it.

It did make a fun little bird shape before it healed though.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    Smashed fingers were common in college football and Rugby. My best solution was a the bent end of a paper clip heated up nice and hot (hold it with pliers). Push down on a table with the bunk fingertip. SQUIRT! feels sooooo much better. Play on.

ws6guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    westside
    When I attempted to drive out a wheel bearing with my thumb followed by a 10lb sledge, I opted not to poke it.

It did make a fun little bird shape before it healed though.

It's been a few years since I've lost a nail and figure this one is toast. Thanks for the pic to remind me haha. Did it ever grow back to be normal again? The last time the trauma was in the middle of the nail so i figure i have several weeks until this one heals

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I got one right now that is almost totally black....smacked the hell out of it about 2 months ago. Then about 2 weeks ago I smacked the same finger again. It's at the point now where it is about to get ugly. I think every nail on my left hand has been down this road before.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Drill it! I us a really small bit and a pin vise to turn it. Go slow. when you hit the pocket, ahhh so much better. It will squirt blood pretty well.
    Then soak in warm water for a bit. If blood build up again just push on it with a little pressure. You might have to open the hole again. Warm water and repeat.

It's going to feel really good when you get the pressure off.

Top Bottom