• doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Be careful what you wish for!

I've only been around since May, but I have bought and sold several guns, and I check here every day for guns/ammo for sale, as well as Armslist.
    For those few who know me I announce our complication in life: moving.

I have lived around Lawrence North H.S. around 75th/Hague/Shadeland since the kids were starting H.S. and in elementary school, and they are 38 and 32 yrs. old now.
    We have had a love/hate relationship where I live for yrs.
    We live on a hill that forced me to buy a John Deere to mow b/c of arthritis, which I said I'd never do b/c I liked mowing grass for exercise for 2 hours: oh, to be young again. :laugh:

We got it into our minds to move down to the South Franklin/Edgewood/Thompson/Southport area b/c of personal reasons.
    Our house we have has been updated outside with the usual siding, gutters, soffits, roof, windows over the years, and inside with new paint, carpet, bathroom vanities and counter tops.
    The only real weakness is the kitchen, which is small, and the 1960s heavy wood cabinets I had painted white yrs. ago (which is popular now), but the counter tops (which I had sprayed to make "newish" since it had the old butcher-block design (that was popular in the 60s :dunno: we had that in our 1st house in 1975).
    The countertop needs replaced and is coming unglued in a couple of places, and I hope to reglue it and sell it with everyone knowing it needs to be updated rather than do it myself. Perhaps my realtor will make me do it though.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I have been on vacation working 2-4 hours a day to clean out closets and taking furniture and tons of bags of clothes and etc. to Goodwill in preparation of someday moving.

We started looking this summer and even put in a bid on a couple of houses, but we soon learned that we couldn't just sell out house and buy another w/o expense b/c housing prices are higher in the "below Wannaker" area.
    We even got into a bidding war over list on one house, but didn't lose control.
    The type of house we wanted was $30k more than we were willing to spend.

I actually gave up on the idea b/c we weren't willing to incur spending much money (besides selling our paid off house) and we weren't able to face downsizing.
    We needed that "extra" den or bedroom or whatever, to put the treadmilll, computer bookshelves, and etc.
    So, we quit looking for the 1700 sq. ft. that we "needed."
    Oh, did I mention I "must" have an "outbuilding/shed?"
    Anything in the 1200, 1300, 1400 sq. ft. would not get it done.
    $1500ish: maybe, depending on layout.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Oh, and as someone who has built houses and remodeled in another lifetime, the mechanicals and roof and etc. were paramount in my mind.
    I simply added the price of a new HVAC system, roof, water heater, carpet, kitchen appliances to the prices of the house, which means if we found the right price, I would add $10, $15k or even $20k to it b/c that is the real price to get it to where my present house is.

Since my house is ready for my retirement (in 2-6 yrs. depending on health), I didn't want to buy a 20 yr. old house needing everything updated since the house I'm living in has had all that done, and I don't want to take a "pile" of money out of my retirement.
    We don't have to move: we can simply drive an extra 30 minutes - 1 hour everyday we go down to that area for business/pleasure/church-related activities.
    Inconvenient, but doable.

The only real downside is our son (32) got married this summer and he is 15-20 minutes away from us and will now be 30--40 minutes away depending on the bad traffic.
    If/when grandkids we might wish we'd never have moved. :laugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    My wife walked into the living room excited b/c I had sent her a "realtor.com" listing (sent automatically to me, and I had quit looking at them everyday) 4 days ago b/c the price on a house was so low, and it read well (1545 sq. ft) with basics of what we needed, and had new roof and carpet and some other nicities.

We looked at it the next day and were so excited b/c it had adequate room in the kitchen (w/island wife has always wanted), a real dining room, and living room (all open).
    Bedrooms, average size, but Master Bath seriously smaller (lack of counter space and vanity storage), but my wife didn't reject it.
    We put in a bid 7k lower than asking, countered with $4k less than asking (houses were going over asking, in our price range as much as $10k).
    It has original HVAC and water heater, but at the price we got, I think I can sell my house and pay for it.

My present house is about 1700 sq. ft. with a big extra family room add-on off the living room, with lots of room for stuff, so we have to get rid of a whole room, plus we are losing about 10 ft. of closet space and another 5 ft. of storage next to the fireplace: tough to downsize.
    In one closet it is mostly filled with Comic Books that are worth a little money that I was going to sell when retired when I had time to mess with it (left over from my son's youth we had fun collecting), and it is one example of not having room to put in our new house.

Our present house has built in the 60s the new hone in 2004 or 2007.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Spent the day switching screens, buying garage cement floor sealer/paint and some drywall mud for patching and the kind of stuff you do before you sell your house.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Maybe iI missed it but have you bought your new home?

1. Wednesday, saw it in Realtor.com (sent to me b/c been looking
    2. Looked at it Thursday and put in a bid $7k lower than list.
    3. Owner countered at last minute Friday evening with only coming down $2k from list (trying to intimidate us, but we didn't really care).
    4. We countered immediately with $4k under list: accepted.
    5. We would have been fine paying full list, but it had original (2004) HVAC and water heater) mechanicals, so we wanted to get $5k off, but we got $4k off.
    6. After looking since this summer and finding out what was there and losing a bidding war, we knew exactly what we could settle for: not perfect, but most of the "must-haves" or wish list.
    7. We had made up our minds that it wasn't going to happen since we weren't willing to mortgage my retirement to relocate. We're hoping that my present house will cover costs or w/i a few thousand (needed to update our kitchen anyway).

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis

We were no way close to that pricing. We did fall in love with a $169k house with a den and a coveted 4 seasons room.
    Also found a $150k home that ended up selling for $158k in a bidding war that we bid on.
    We originally wanted to find a home to downsize to in the $140s (including updates if not done), but it wasn't happening: wrong neighborhoods or 1200 sq ft houses.
    The one we got was 1545 sq. ft. (down for our 1700 sq. ft we now have) and losing alot of storage, and it listed for $139k, and with a new HVAC unit when it needs it, will bring it up to our $140k range.
    Did new carpet and roof, and great outbuilding, and ceiling fans in every room.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Going to contact inspector Monday, and my "financier."
    Get the ball rolling with a possible closing date of Nov. 10th.
    Debating whether to put my house on the market before winter to see if I can get lucky, or whether to wait until March.
    In the fortunate position that I don't have to be in a hurry.

My daughter, who is a lawyer in a Title company in Nashville, TN is going to be sent papers so she can get her "cut" of the pie, and my realtor is a guy a work with at school.
    I'd rather my money go to friends and family as strangers. :laugh:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Realtor checked the house.

Pros:
    curb appeal = house looks sharp
    good space and storage inside
    new carpet, paint, bath counters and vanities
    newish HVAC (best Carrier heat pump), roof, 6-inch gutters with gutter guards and soffits,
    big room addition, family room/sunroom flowing off the living room.
    great yard in back

cons:
    cut trees back too much in the fall (butchered them so they'd be fine in 5 yrs.
    garage floor could used resealing (bought primer and paint already)
    garage back door needs some trim, etc (been wanting to do that for 20 yrs.)
    need to scrape paint on brick in front of garage/driveway, but in front of house fine
    washer and dryer off of kitchen behind a door.
    pantry in garage needs removing (so people don't think there's not enough room in pantry where W + D are in kitchen, which there isn't :laugh:)
    put new door knob / lock on outside furnace / water heater / water softner room (not in garage but in separate room--a 60s thing)

I'll have to sell my 1-year-old Deere tractor with only 20ish hours on it I bought for $1800 with expensive 4 yr. warranty.
    In a perfect world, the buyers of my house would want it.
    My new house had little yard space: wonderful.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Congratulations and welcome from down here in God's Country! :) Grew up on the southside (currently back in my childhood home which I bought from my mom after she couldn't take care of the yard anymore), but have lived on all sides of Indy and the southside is still my favorite.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    Glad you found a place. I live in Wanamaker and the prices have gotten nutty. I think the new homes being built and selling for $250k plus are driving up the prices. There have been some good deals but those have been auctions and the homes needed updating but had large lots and out buildings. Now way I could afford the place I have based on today's market. When I bought there was one down the road for $230k it's now selling for over $600k. Unbelievable.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Glad you found a place. I live in Wanamaker and the prices have gotten nutty. I think the new homes being built and selling for $250k plus are driving up the prices. There have been some good deals but those have been auctions and the homes needed updating but had large lots and out buildings. Now 1. way I could afford the place I have based on today's market. When I bought there was one down the road for $230k it's now selling for over $600k. Unbelievable.

1. Good to know!
    2. We knew from our looking that a 1350 sq.ft. house that was nice could cost $20k more than what we bought our 1545 sq.ft.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Guns & ammo are very heavy. You don't want to move that all the way to the Southside. Just leave it with me. You're probably just around the corner from me. I mean, what are neighbors for after all.

moosehead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The countertop needs replaced and is coming unglued in a couple of places, and I hope to reglue it and sell it with everyone knowing it needs to be updated rather than do it myself. Perhaps my realtor will make me do it though.

my Realtor had a list of things which "needed" to be done after I signed on with her. Finally I told her we would wait to see how it showed, and adjust. The house sold in 4 days, and everyone who saw it made an offer.

nra4ever

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    Indy
    my Realtor had a list of things which "needed" to be done after I signed on with her. Finally I told her we would wait to see how it showed, and adjust. The house sold in 4 days, and everyone who saw it made an offer.

If you are in a hot area you can do that or in a sellers market. My buddy in franklin township just put his home up for sale for $70k more than he paid for it 5 years ago. Realtor told him way more buyers than sellers right now. $70k over 5 years is a great return.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Why are you moving?

1. Wanting to downsize and get away from the hill we live on is the secondary reason. Wife hates kitchen and washer and dryer room location and layout.
    Primary reason is we want to be in that location closer to Indian Creek Christian Church (The Creek) since we don't want to be driving 30 minutes one way to be involved in things that we do in different days/evenings.

QUOTE=Hop;7262429]Guns & ammo are very heavy. You don't want to move that all the way to the Southside. Just leave it with me. You're probably just around the corner from me. I mean, what are neighbors for after all.[/QUOTE]
    3. Such a generous and helpful club member! :lmfao:

4. I got off easier than I thought I would, but things I need to do are things I have wanted to get done anyway and never got around to........
    Fortunately I have been doing some things, but things like painting the chimney b/c we put a different color roof on it 6 yrs. ago, and etc. are punishment for being lazy.

If you are in a hot area you can do that or in a seller's market. My buddy in Franklin township just put his home up for sale for $70k more than he paid for it 5 years ago. Realtor told him way more buyers than sellers right now. $70k over 5 years is a great return.

6. I wish. I've lived here 25 yrs., and I won't get but maybe $40 - $50k more, and I've put probably $30k in it in that time.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Overwhelmed by all the details to be done, especially since I want to put my old house on the market to see if we can get lucky before the snows come, or we'll have to wait until March (or whenever) to put on the market, and I'll lose $1100/mo. ($5500 total for 5 months, Dec.-April) in mortgage payments and utilities than if I could sell right away (therefore paying off new house and not having mortgage and both utilities).
    Originally, I thought I'd just wait to sell ours at our leisure after winter, but now I'm' counting every $1000 that I can save/spend.

I have to find an electrician to rework some things in the garage, but I was told it wasn't anything major.
    I don't want to get tagged by the inspector.
    The previous home-owner ran his own wiring for outlets for a workshop: functional but some things not up to code.
    An easy fix for an electrician.
    I want to take out some old lights and put in new ones, take some wiring out, hard-wire in garage door opener (now using an extension cord, ha!), and the like.

I'm up near Lawrence North High School and Crestview Elementary (71st/Hague; 75th/Hague) area.
    A good solid neighborhood for a family, so I'll have no trouble selling since out house will have good sq. footage (1700ish) and will be less expensive than most houses in the area, b/c they have more sq. ft. or a basement or 2 story.
    Can't wait to find out if we can list the house for: $145k, $155k or more if I'm lucky. I'll be surprised if it gets listed near $160k, but that is what realtors are for.
    It is hard to do comps in my neighborhood b/c there is such variety in types of houses that have sold.

Top Bottom