Changing / posting lower speed limit signs on roadways?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Is there state code that spells out what a municipality has to do in order to legally change the speed limits on a roadway? Is there a way to determine that IF there's state statute that must be adhered to - if it was followed or not?

Reason I'm asking: There's a new roundabout near my house. They've put up 25mph speed limit signs leading into the R.A. on a normally 40mph road.

Not slowing for the R.A. is dumb... But the signs are set far enough away from the R.A. that I'm afraid that they may be able to zap people who are coasting down / aren't really close enough to be on the brakes before getting to the R.A. 25mph from the placement of the sign to the edge of the R.A. is quite a while.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I read an article one time about various speed traps around the country where the speed went from 55 to 25 without any prior warning. In most of those instances they were required to post signs indicating the lower speed ahead as well as incremental speed drops if the differential exceeded a certain number. Sorry more anecdotal than specific but the issue has been addressed in other parts of the country so probably a valid issue here as well.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Several years ago Car and Driver magazine did an article about the 10 worst cities for speed traps. Good ol' round-about Carmel made the top ten!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I emailed the mayor about that roundabout before they had the new speed limit signs up. You hit that at 40mph and you're in trouble. A few weeks later the flashy light signs went up. I probably had nothing to do with it, but I feel good about my civic action.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    IC 9-21-5-6 is what you are looking for regarding local control.

Thank you!

I emailed the mayor about that roundabout before they had the new speed limit signs up. You hit that at 40mph and you're in trouble. A few weeks later the flashy light signs went up. I probably had nothing to do with it, but I feel good about my civic action.

So YOU'RE the one to blame!

And 40 mph would be OK in SOME vehicles and a guarantee of no traffic....

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Is there a law that says you can't take 3-4 quick laps before you exit the RA? Other than the laws of physics associated with that 4480 lb Dodge, of course.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I dunno, but Plainfield, with abnormally low limits to begin with, just dropped all of Perry Road from 40mph to 35 mph? City must need some cash?

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Not directed at you. But, a pox on round-about drifters. My Dodge weighs 4,480 pounds........

There are two possible responses when one hears "Can't": Turn in the man card or "Challenge accepted". My wife has learned the consequences to telling me what a car can and cannot do.

Even my old 90hp S10 drifted if you asked nice enough. Fun fact, a 08ish Charger RT Hemi is pretty close to a 94 Firebird LT1 6 speed in both acceleration and handling. About a decade ago, I hung out with a guy that drifted a Durango without killing us.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    As long as you stay in your lane (for multilane RABs), go as fast as you can - I do.

If you try and straighten it out by going outside-inside-outside, then, yes, a pox on you and your livestock.

Top Bottom