• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Asking for a friend of course.

What are the chances of having a speeding violation (IC 9-21-5-6) converted to non-moving violation(s) (parking, light, etc.) of equal monetary value? The goal is to avoid points assessed; the state can have their money. Not interested in deferral. Any tips or advice? This is the first hearing at night court; no lawyers involved.

What about dress code? Is a suit too much?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Depends on your history, and the willingness of the prosecutor. And, short of wearing a tux with tails, one is never overdressed in court.

Last edited:

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My experience is limited to Hamilton County and specifically Carmel City Court (and even that's getting further and further into the rear view mirror).

1. Chance of getting reduced to non-moving violation? A number mathematically approaching zero, unless you have a REALLY good defense to the speeding.

2. If you're a dude, sportcoat and tie would put you in the top 1 percentile of attendees (who aren't lawyers). That's probably a good place to be. If you're a woman, then whatever you'd wear to a professional job interview, like a nice skirt and jacket. These days, that might work if you're a dude, too.

Tips? I'd say to do the deferral, but for some reason you've already ruled that out. If you already have active points, then your chance in answer #1 dropped even lower.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Hamilton Superior.
    I do not know the prosecutor in that court (I don't think).

Just generally, in Hamilton County, the deferral is the best option to avoid points.

Wait.

Is a CDL involved and that's why deferral isn't an option? That would add a layer of complication to this that makes the already remote chance of a non-moving violation even smaller.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    I do not know the prosecutor in that court (I don't think).

Just generally, in Hamilton County, the deferral is the best option to avoid points.

Wait.

Is a CDL involved and that's why deferral isn't an option? That would add a layer of complication to this that makes the already remote chance of a non-moving violation even smaller.

No CDL.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Not at the same time. You didn't think was a once in a lifetime thing, did you?
    Was told that by a Vigo county attorney/former prosecutor? Haven't had a speeding infraction since the early 90's but it was a doozie, never needed to find out if you could have more than one!

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom