• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Of interest to me as my greatgreatgreatgrandfather served in the 18th Indiana Artillery (yes, the unit that Eli Lilly was in) as a wheelwright/articifer and I have GreatGrandpa George's 12 gauge percussion cap that he made (with hand carved checkering) after coming back from Selma, Alabama where he nearly died from some sort of "fever" (circa 1865).

How did it come to be known as a tire? TFB has the answer:

Gun Trivia: Why Is A Tire Called A Tire? - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Last edited:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nice etymology Sushi Boy....Thanks for posting...

My Great-Great Grandfather served with the 23rd Indiana Infantry out of New Albany.....Got shot in the leg at the battle of Raymond and he too, suffered from "swamp fever" which we believe to be malaria....He was the son of a Swiss immigrant and the southern lowlands did nothing for his health...He was chapter head of the New Albany G.A.R. until his death....

As a matter of fact YOU sir posted a picture of him I had never seen before...He's the tall guy standing on the far left with the awesome mustache.....

Lucy_Higgs_Nichols_Original.jpg

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well obviously we all know you wouldn't call it a wheel. . . .that's what the tire mounts on!!

I worked in a Goodyear plant for 11 years, I'm fairly certain this is accurate.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Of interest to me as my greatgreatgreatgrandfather served in the 18th Indiana Artillery (yes, the unit that Eli Lilly was in) as a wheelwright/articifer and I have GreatGrandpa George's 12 gauge percussion cap that he made (with hand carved checkering) after coming back from Selma, Alabama where he nearly died from some sort of "fever" (circa 1865).

How did it come to be known as a tire? TFB has the answer:

Gun Trivia: Why Is A Tire Called A Tire? - The Firearm BlogThe Firearm Blog

Great story...

if only....

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'll have to go back and check, but I had forebears in various Indiana musters in the War Between the States. I'll have to dig out that info.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    When you do please share....
    Alrighty. :) Had some luck with the browser history search (which is, in itself, kinda creepy).

Have strong indication of southern Indiana forebears (2 different branches that came together at my great-grandparents generation) in: 22nd Indiana Infantry, Company H (recruit), 38th Infantry, Company C (officer), 53rd Infantry (unassigned). That last guy I picture as a, "Oh yeah, sure, I'll hang out with y'all." :D

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Alrighty. :) Had some luck with the browser history search (which is, in itself, kinda creepy).

Have strong indication of southern Indiana forebears (2 different branches that came together at my great-grandparents generation) in: 22nd Indiana Infantry, Company H (recruit), 38th Infantry, Company C (officer), 53rd Infantry (unassigned). That last guy I picture as a, "Oh yeah, sure, I'll hang out with y'all." :D

I have the book "History of the Ohio Falls Cities" here in the shop and have the roster for the 38th infantry, Company C....What was your kin's name???

It has a list of all their engagements and they took a pretty bad loss at Perryville...They bebopped throughout Kentucky and also had a skirmish with Morgan's Raiders.....

It's a rare and expensive book and was printed about 1888...Mine is one of a hundred reprints the Howard Steamboat Museum did back in the 1990's...

Top Bottom