• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Hope this is not a dupe. Just saw a "news" story on national TV that the Boy Scouts have decided to allow girls to join the Boy Scouts. And . . . . the spokesperson from the Girl Scouts said they don't like it ! Girls may join the Cub Scouts as well, but must have their own all girl Den. ( Doesn't it then make it a Girl Scout troop with a Boy Scout moniker ?)

Regardless, how long before the line is completely greyed ? I read where California Governor Brown recently signed legislation that will enable authorities to jail folks who won't adhere to guidelines requiring them to refer to others by whatever gender identity they have.

We are, indeed, in a Mad Hatter world and find ourselves down the rabbit hole.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    This is all weird to me. Pretty soon they will all be sleeping in the same sleeping bag. What could go wrong??

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The Boy Scouts of America died the day they dropped the Lifesaving Merit badge as an Eagle Requirement.

Since then it's just been more pussification of the American male.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm an Eagle Scout. I think this shows how badly the girl scouts need to rethink their program opportunities. My daughter was bored to death with it. She saw some of the stuff my step son was doing with boy scouts and she wanted so badly to go along. I remember hearing rumors of the possibility of this happening back in the early 90s. Yes I see some of the pussification that has taken place. But really, I think it has been driven by societal changes. This won't go well.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This is all weird to me. Pretty soon they will all be sleeping in the same sleeping bag. What could go wrong??

JUST BECAUSE YOU'RE A RAGING PERVERT DOESN'T MEAN YOU CAN PROJECT ONTO OTHERS!!!!!:xmad:

We will be responsible for raising our sons to be girls and all will be well!:rolleyes:

Apply purple if needed.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The death spiral started with the LBGTQ acquiescence and this is just the next step. I see BSA and GSA merging at some point as membership and leadership numbers continue to dwindle. Within a generation they will both be gone or at least unrecognizable.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    As the parent of a girl who tried GSA, and a boy who did cub scouts for a while (until dad got tired of being the only adult to attend all the meetings), I can see good for the girls in this...

IF...

the BSA program returns to its roots so to speak. I truly boiled on the inside giving kids belt loops for things like video games and doing chores around the house. Bring back the outdoorsy scout. When I was a young kid, the older scouts, and especially eagle scouts, were complete badasses. Now, or at least a few years ago, watching the older scouts made me shake my head. Half these kids probably couldn't complete the Hiking merit badge anyplace that wasn't flat as a pancake, and some of those probably couldn't even here in Indiana.

My son was bored and didn't like doing the crafty indoors activities, so we dropped out. Since then, he's been on the Appalachian trail, hiked into and out of the grand canyon, been ziplining all over the eastern US, hunted, fished, traveled abroad, explored caves, the list goes on and on.

The scouts have to get back to that place. If, by bringing girls in, all it does is add more time spent in front of Kroger hawking snackfood, then they're doomed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'm an Eagle Scout. I think this shows how badly the girl scouts need to rethink their program opportunities. My daughter was bored to death with it. She saw some of the stuff my step son was doing with boy scouts and she wanted so badly to go along. I remember hearing rumors of the possibility of this happening back in the early 90s. Yes I see some of the pussification that has taken place. But really, I think it has been driven by societal changes. This won't go well.
    Congratulations on being an Eagle Scout. I think you have hit the nail on the head. My wife was a Girl Scout leader for many years in Texas. She kept complaining about the watering down of programs, activities and basic values. The GSA is more about cow towing to the liberal agendas and inner city ideas. They want "inclusion". That means acceptance of girls who are of all religions and beliefs. That makes certain things, like the pledge a no no. After all these years (25) my wife still has former girl scouts keeping contact with her. If the BSA can offer a program that is (back to the roots) then I think it will be a great option for the girls who are outdoorsy. That being said, the scouts aren't for every kid. My oldest daughter absolutely loved scout camp and the outdoors. My youngest would just have well been as happy in a labor camp. The youngest daughter did learn respect for others, the flag and country, so all those years did have positive results. I was only a cub scout, but enjoyed molding those heads and painting them and other crafts. I really liked the "Pine Wood Derby". Shooting, camping, trapping, hunting and love of the outdoors were taught by my father and other adults. The scouts shouldn't be thought of as a replacement for fun activities with parents or guardians, but a supplement. It seems to me that every troop has its own personality and primary focus. I hope this works out for the BSA and girls.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    My background in scouting in in the late 80's was as a cub scout and I was bored with it because all we did was make paper airplanes and stuff like that without ever really doing anything outdoors.

Today, I have a kindergarten son in the Lion Scout program and I'm the den leader. At the last den meeting one of the kids little sister tagged along and she did better making a birds nest out of the jute twine than all the other boys (had about 15 there that night). I don't think that little girl harmed the boys, she didn't impede their experience at all, and she had a great time learning something.

From what I've seen and heard, yes the different packs have their own different personalities and cultures. That's fine with me. Some packs are more outdoorsy, and some are more academic. All I care is that I get to spend some quality time with my son as long as he's learning quality life lessons and making memories. I really like that we get to spend father & son time like this just the two of us and it's been a real blessing in our life and relationship so I can see the side of the argument that doesn't want to change anything.

On the other hand, every night when I get home and rush to get changed and get my son to the church I see the sad look on the faces of my daughters who don't get to go. One of my daughters in particular is more outdoorsy and I know she'd love scouts. I can see the side of the argument for letting girls in, especially if they aren't really into the girls scout program.

To be completely honest, I really don't care one way or the other and I don't feel like I have a dog in the fight. The decision wasn't up to me, but I'll be living with the consequences. All I care is that scouting gets parents some quality time with their kids. My life will continue with or without scouting, and I'll keep trying to teach and raise my kids with or without it. Scouting has a lot of great lessons that I can see benefiting young girls too. I don't think it makes boys weak if a girl can also make a campfire just like they can, I see it as now there's two people that will have a stronger base of skills they made need to rely on some day if they get in a bad spot. Just my two cents, but so what if they let girls in.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    A lot of the content of the scouts varies by the constituent scouts and leaders. My troop did nothing but outdoorsy stuff to the point that we neglected the measurables and didn't graduate a number of potential eagles (like myself) because we were off actually doing stuff until all of a sudden someone went "oh crap, you'll be 18 in a month and have 3 ranks, 20 merit badges, and a project to do". Meanwhile the troop in the church using the other half of the block graduated just as many eagles with 1/3 as many scouts because they were a bit more organized/regimented. They didn't have 55-60 activities a year though.

Not sure how I feel about having the girls in... on the one hand, internationally, scouts have both (all?) genders included and I'm somehow less uncomfortable with the idea of boys and girls than boys, girls, and other (explain _______) and having video-gaming merit badges. I can also see it as a natural extension of the recent LBGTetc inclusion... doesn't make sense to allow a girl who claims to be a boy but not a girl who admits it.

I've never heard someone say "Wow, I had so much fun in girl scouts, my daughter will love it" but I have heard a few womenfolk express a desire to do more boy-scouts-type activities outdoors.

Of course I'm also somewhat less worried about problems since my 4yo daughter's a head taller than the class and already has been in trouble a few times at daycare for defending herself rather than telling the teacher (other kid tried to take some toy, she declined, escalated, escalated, escalated, he head butted her, she reciprocated, he ran off crying, she resumed playing). She isn't like some kids that run to the teacher or parent when they get a booboo, she gets angry.

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Then your daughter was in the wrong troop. My wife and I were heavily involved in The Girl Scouts for about 12 years (wife was more like 16 years).
    The girls have the choices and opportunities to do just about anything they want. Camping, hiking, traveling, boating, rock climbing, canoeing, archery(I don’t think they had anything for firearms), etc.. Also, with the money saved up from cookie sales, they could vote as a troop, to do whatever they wanted with that money. Amusement park, charity, whatever.
    We had one troop of young girls (about 10-11 years old) who actually earned the Boy Scout badge for sleeping outside in sub-freezing temps. (Polar bear badge, maybe?) they spent the whole weekend outside, and loved it. We had some pretty tough girls.
    Just a side note: to earn the Girl Scouts “Gold Award”, the Girl has to put in the required hours herself, the Boy Scout can combine all of his volunteers hours with his to earn his Eagle Award.
    I doubt the decision to let girls into the Boy Scouts had anything to do with the program opportunities in the Girl Scouts! Just another inch down the slippery slope that started with gay leaders, transgenders, etc.. There is no stopping point. I won’t be surprised when they will have to drop the “Boy and Girl” off of Scouts.

Last edited:

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    22406429_10210355687304283_9143457267941177951_n.jpg

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    There are many issues I don't agree with in our society.
    Though I do believe in equality I also believe in boys are boys and girls are girls. They're not the same physically. I hope my limited ability of explanation is enough here.
    I choose to live as I believe is right.
    I can not change a lot of these new idealisms so I'll not let them bother me.
    I do miss "the good old days" as I'm sure every generation before me did.
    The Boy Scouts should drop their name since they're no longer "BOY" scouts.
    Scouts?
    Damn..... Does this signal the end of "Girl Scout Cookies" now?

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I don't mind girls going on outdoor trips or learning similar life skills as the boys, but if this threatens my ability to get thin mint cookies in any way I can justify pulling my support.

Top Bottom