• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm a bit surprised this thread hasn't taken off. 29 now dead and 400+ missing. 3500 homes burned.

good news is 1000 reported missing and 600 have been located. Cell towers are out, hopefully just people who can't communicate.

a lady was on the phone with her daughter saying her room is engulfed in flames and then the phone died. Tragic.

California wildfires: Death toll, number of missing climbs

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    OG and I were talking about this tonight. She was browsing drone pics of entire neighborhoods burned to the ground, literally. She was telling me about how there were firestorms that raced through areas quickly, hence the number of missing. We would compare it to an F5 tornado in the middle of the night. Authorities are searching burned areas with cadaver dogs because all that is left is the skeleton. Pics of cars and other metal items melted.

Unprecedented hurricanes, unprecedented earthquakes, unprecedented wildfires. Let us pray.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yeah, the earth is pissed. We'd better drill a bunch of holes in it and suck out its black blood before it takes us out :):

cars were flipped over from the explosions. Just skeletons left? Ugh. I heard a 99 and 100 year old couple burned together. In that situation, do you offer to shoot your spouse? Is that moral? Christian?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've seen the pictures, looks like it was nuked. Everything scorched.

I live in the deep woods so when it gets dry we get wary, but CA is very different.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I lived in California through an earthquake (North Ridge), a wildfire (Topanga-Malibu), the annual drought, and a winter of mudslide that took out the canyon road I drove to work. (Wasn't mud covering the road - the road WAS the mudslide, several thousand cubic feet of earth just disappeared several hundred feet down into the canyon stream below).

BUILD THE WALL! Between California and the rest of us! It will be a sea wall soon enough.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Meh- every year in CA, same old, same old. Mudslides, drought, fires, repeat.
    Hurricanes in the gulf happen quite frequently too. Same old, same old.

Where i live i deal with rain, snow, ice, extreme heat and extreme cold.
    if you dont like the conditions where you live, move.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    By your logic is it safe to live anywhere? Can we not empathize with those going through their hardship?

The tales of this week are growing increasingly tragic. As the Redwood Valley fire swept through Mendocino County, the Shepherd family hurried to escape, first by car and then foot when the vehicles caught fire. Kai Shepherd, a 14-year-old who loved the San Francisco Giants and wrestling, did not make it out alive, his aunt Mindi Ramos said.

California wildfires: Death toll, number of missing climbs

now the deadliest fires in state history, 31 dead, 460 missing

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    California is a beautiful place, sunshine all the time when i was there. Must be a downside. Take the good with the bad.
    Same with gulf states with hurricanes and such. Take the good with the bad.
    Last few years where i live it has been bad with snow/ice storms. Flooding from rains this year. Extreme cold with propane companies running out of juice even for the prepaid customers three years ago.
    I am just tired of hearing about the poor people in "xxxxxx" that are dealing with weather and natural disasters that are known to occur where they live. Oh, and can you donate to help these people, by the way.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I spent some time helping fight the Silver Complex fires in Oregon back in 1987. That area is nothing like Indiana. I was amazed at some of the fire breaks the bulldozers had cut. Those guys must have had a death wish. Nearly straight up and down the mountains. It was something I will never forget.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    sonoma county decided to NOT activate the emergency notification system because they felt an evacuation would make it harder to get fire trucks in. It roared through at night during very high winds

Whoa! That's no bueno... that's damn near negligence.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    A good reminder why you keep your grab and go BOB packed and ready. Took the time to read and review my checklist:

< 1 min. Grab an Go and stay alive
    10 min. Gather some more stuff thinking 3 weeks rather than 3 days
    1 hour Fully pack the truck, secure the house, keepsakes...

As frustrated as I get with California you still have to feel for the individuals impacted.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    My brother moved to Santa Rosa from Tustin (Orange County) back in January. He had to evacuate back to OC (wife and kids are still living there). He thinks his apartment is still standing, but doesn't know for sure.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Had the pleasure of fighting fires on Ft Hood, TX in the early 90's. Learned an entirely new respect for those things, you could not have convinced me how hot they are and how fast they can move had I not seen it with my own eyes. Still not sure how we managed to find ourselves between a wall of fire and a wall of fire heading our direction but I thank God for a pilot who was paying attention with a load full of water, saved many lives on the side of that hill that day including mine.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    If you enjoy learning about wildfires and how they are fought you should look into "Fire Chasers" on Netflix. It's about Cal-Fire, how they fight them, and the men and women (some of them incarcerated inmates) that fight them. I just watched it a couple weeks ago and I found it interesting. I wished there were more footage of "in the fight" but I understand that getting that footage isn't the easiest thing to do without endangering the camera folks and the fire-fighters themselves.

Top Bottom