Anyone familiar with and/or machine Acetal?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm in need of some Acetal/Delrin sheaves and cannot find what I need online. Figured it would be worth a shot to ask here and see if anyone works with the stuff regularly and might be able to spin me up a few pieces.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The raw material isn't difficult to locate, the finished product has proven to be. Hoping someone with a lathe can lend a hand. It'll require 1" - 2" Acetal rod, maybe 4" long to spin what I need if anyone has some on hand.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    The raw material isn't difficult to locate, the finished product has proven to be. Hoping someone with a lathe can lend a hand. It'll require 1" - 2" Acetal rod, maybe 4" long to spin what I need if anyone has some on hand.
    Honestly, I've no freaking clue what you're asking about, but I do know one of the owners of Mission Knives knows about at the very least, Delrin. I've bought several delrin products from Mission, and he's at least ok with prototyping stuff if that helps? All have been machined cylindrical items/tubes made of Delrin.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    lovemachine works in a machine shop and has done small run sort of lathe craft projects to sell. I bet if he cannot do it he knows who can.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    As for an explanation....

I need to build a zipline type trolley but I need it to be quiet, we'll be using it to cross a creek to deer hunt. Steel sheaves/pulleys on a steel wire rope is noisy as all get out, I'm hoping a plastic will be much quieter. We're using 5/16" wire rope and they would need to be made from 1" - 2" OD rod. Width only needs to be as wide as required for them to be strong enough to withstand the load (figure 250lbs spread between two sheaves). I'm thinking an internal diameter should be whatever size would allow rollerblade bearings to be pressed in for smooth operation, we will be pulling ourselves back and forth rather than allowing gravity to do the work.

The plan is to bolt them up between a couple sections of angle iron with a bolt between them to hook a carabiner to. We will hook in via a short section of climbing rope or tubular nylon run to the loops built into our safety harnesses. If anyone has a better option I'd be thrilled to find something readily available that would work, time is short on this project unfortunately.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield

I need to build a zipline type trolley but I need it to be quiet, we'll be using it to cross a creek to deer hunt. Steel sheaves/pulleys on a steel wire rope is noisy as all get out, I'm hoping a plastic will be much quieter. We're using 5/16" wire rope and they would need to be made from 1" - 2" OD rod. Width only needs to be as wide as required for them to be strong enough to withstand the load (figure 250lbs spread between two sheaves). I'm thinking an internal diameter should be whatever size would allow rollerblade bearings to be pressed in for smooth operation, we will be pulling ourselves back and forth rather than allowing gravity to do the work.

The plan is to bolt them up between a couple sections of angle iron with a bolt between them to hook a carabiner to. We will hook in via a short section of climbing rope or tubular nylon run to the loops built into our safety harnesses. If anyone has a better option I'd be thrilled to find something readily available that would work, time is short on this project unfortunately.
    Rope bridge?

ETA: If you have to zip in, how do you remove the dead deer? Zip lines tend to work one way?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

If this is what I think it is it should not be difficult to machine it. I believe we used it before or I have making some parts for the front end of a Springer.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I have lathe/ milled a bit of Delrin. It's not bad to work with. I have turned a lot of 1 inch diameter stuff in to insulators and spacers. Do you have a drawing of what you want? I think I have a bit of 3/4 left (I think). I have bought what I needed off of Ebay.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Delrin is a lot of fun to machine.

I’d love to help Phylo out. But we are swamped right now. All my lathes are tied up with other jobs.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Rope bridge?

ETA: If you have to zip in, how do you remove the dead deer? Zip lines tend to work one way?

Correct, a wire rope bridge. This will be to get to a food plot and the stands and blinds we have set up on it. Getting a vehicle in there to pick up a deer isn't a problem, getting in there to hunt without spooking the deer is impossible along the same route. The only way in and out without spooking them and with the typical west winds is to cross the creek which has become a huge PIA.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I would think McMaster-Carr would have plastic pulleys. Might not be as hard as Delrin which if I remember is used in gears. HDPE and or various Nylon materials might work as it's not going to see the sort of continuous duty a gear will. Back in the past a lot of cars used Nylon timing gears.

Top Bottom