• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Anyone have any experience with this one? Is $20.00 a day too cheap? We have someone that we trust, he is good with the dogs animals etc. Plus it puts him about 20 minutes closer to work. We asked what he charges and he set rate so I was just wondering.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    What would it cost to board the animals ? Figure at least that.

And is the dog easy to take care of (i.e. go to work and the dog is fine all day, or the dog needs to be walked a good bit, and a person's schedule changed quite a bit to accommodate?)

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The animals dictate the price IMO. Boarding is expensive. House sitting is one thing. Animal sitting is another. My house doesn't need to be sitted so to speak. My belgain does. I prefer him not to be boarded, so I gladly pay a trusted person a majority of what I would have paid to board him to take care of him. $20 is way cheap. If he set the price so be it. I'd definitely tip if all is good on return.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Yes, first requirement is trust and reliability. Having found that, I would not cheap out on the price, and even then I would pay a bonus when I got back (as long as there wasn't a catastrophe caused by the sitter). If this guy is good you are going to want his services again, and good help is hard to find and generally not cheap.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    The animals dictate the price IMO. Boarding is expensive. House sitting is one thing. Animal sitting is another. My house doesn't need to be sitted so to speak. My belgain does. I prefer him not to be boarded, so I gladly pay a trusted person a majority of what I would have paid to board him to take care of him. $20 is way cheap. If he set the price so be it. I'd definitely tip if all is good on return.

At our place its really let them out before going to work, then at the end of the evening. Live stock is just a matter of opening closing gate. He lives in the suburbs and so he really enjoys getting away. For the most part its just a matter of being there and calling someone if the need arises. The last time he sat for us he wouldn't take any more money so I am thinking of maybe a gift card or something.

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Or just write him a check for the $20/day plus whatever extra you want to tip. That way he has to cash the check if he wants paid and will have to take the extra tip money.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ... The last time he sat for us he wouldn't take any more money so I am thinking of maybe a gift card or something.

Bring him a special gift. Something unique.

The last "house sitting" I done was not house sitting at all. I babysat an irreplaceable firearm. No money involved (wouldn't have taken it) but I loved the quart of local maple syrup my friend handed me when he picked up his rifle. Hint; no one turns down expensive food and they always remember the gift.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    We do 10-20 a day depending on who's doing it and stuff.

Young relatives who wanna stay there and have a place to bang their boyfriend/girlfriend drink etc (i assume that's why they're eager to do it) get $10/day

If a friend/neighbor lets the chickens and dogs out twice a day, $20 and the eggs, and I'll cover them when they go away for the same.

Top Bottom