Fusing a dog's front legs. Any experience here?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    My 11-year old Belgian Sheepdog has arthritis and broken down tendons in both front legs. She is at the point that she walks on her front wrists, which causes her pain and open wounds at times. I have tried a couple different types of braces and she is too high strung to accept them. The last set caused such a commotion that I didn't know what was going to happen first, her having a heart attack, her breaking a leg, or her breaking something in our house.
    The vet says she needs to have her front legs fused to prevent that joint from moving. But, while she doesn't do that kind of operation, she says it is very expensive.
    My wife thought going to the Purdue veterinary school would be a more economical route. But, along with being a five-hour round trip, they also want to charge $158 to see her and another $400-$800 to check exactly what needs to be done. So, we're already at $1,000, not counting lost wages for the days off, just to see how much the actual operation will cost.
    Has anyone else had this operation done on their dog? How much was it?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    No help here, but that sounds so sad to have to make that decision. I wish you and your buddy the best.:)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    One of our dogs was hit by a car when she was only about a year old. Pretty much shattered her right front leg. Our vet recommended orthopedic surgery (involving rods and such I think), and it was going to be around $1500. We just had him splint it and fortunately it healed okay although now, at 11, she's got a little arthritis in the leg and moves a little slow in the mornings. Critter surgery ain't cheap for sure. Hope you are able to get it worked out!

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't have any experience with that specifically, but I've had 2 dogs to Purdue to see orthopedic surgeons... I try and keep a $2k limit, but it's hard. My last Belgian Sheepdog they could not do anything for. He had some kind of muscular degenerative atrophy in his rear end from about half way down the spine through his legs. Didn't even figure it our from the necropsy. :( My current Belgian is 10 and I totally understand your challenges trying to get a brace on your dog. No way mine would do it either. Where did you get yours if I may ask? Feel fee to PM me. Not many of them around.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I don't have any experience with that specifically, but I've had 2 dogs to Purdue to see orthopedic surgeons... I try and keep a $2k limit, but it's hard. My last Belgian Sheepdog they could not do anything for. He had some kind of muscular degenerative atrophy in his rear end from about half way down the spine through his legs. Didn't even figure it our from the necropsy. :( My current Belgian is 10 and I totally understand your challenges trying to get a brace on your dog. No way mine would do it either. Where did you get yours if I may ask? Feel fee to PM me. Not many of them around.

We bought her from a breeder near Detroit, MI. I don't remember exactly without digging through our files.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I don't have any experience with that specifically, but I've had 2 dogs to Purdue to see orthopedic surgeons... I try and keep a $2k limit, but it's hard.

The frustrating part is I would have to spend a grand just to find out how much more money it will cost. I would assume they could give me a ball park number, but they seem reluctant to give me a number which leads me to believe it's pretty high.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Ok, admittedly a dumb idea but for the dog's sake I wont be afraid of being stupid. How about nonsurgical efforts? Shoes? maybe modify some baby shoes to hold the joint immobile? Perhaps the leather guy at the flea market can make some custom sleeves to immobilize the legs? Laced up like python boots? maybe softer leather would be better tolerated.

Even ace bandages would tend to immobilize while still minimizing irritation.

Last edited:

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    We once found a feral cat that had a badly messed-up leg and it cost $800 just to have it amputated. Yours sounds considerably more difficult than that, and presumably more expensive.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I hate to say it but I'd put the dog down. Recovery and healing from that procedure sounds like it would be miserable.

just because you can doesn't mean you should. And I don't think the $$$ has anything to do with my rec :(. Sorry you guys are facing this

Gary119

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2015
    Southern Indiana
    I would highly recommend taking the dog to Briarcrest Animal Hospital over by Bargersville. We have a Min Pin that broke her front leg. Took her to two Vets and talked to Purdue also they said she had to have a pin put in it, at a cost North of $2000.00. Took her to Briarcrest and Dr.Brichler said it would heal with just a cast. He was right its been 4-5 years and she's just fine.

We have had a lot of animals for over 30 years (we have fostered, plus have our own) Seems some Vets are "in it for the money." Dr. Brichler isn't that way, he is the best Vet I have known. Before you spend big bucks get a second opinion.

Wish your dog the best.

Last edited:

Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Just a thought, but are their any dog owner forums similar to what we have here? If they exist, that may be the place to find folks with actual experience with this sort of sad situation who can give better advice.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Just a thought, but are their any dog owner forums similar to what we have here? If they exist, that may be the place to find folks with actual experience with this sort of sad situation who can give better advice.

There are, but I'm guessing people who've been here a while like asking people they feel like they know and trust first. I've gone here: The Dog Forum - A friendly online community for dog lovers.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I would highly recommend taking the dog to Briarcrest Animal Hospital over by Bargersville. We have a Min Pin that broke her front leg. Took her to two Vets and talked to Purdue also they said she had to have a pin put in it, at a cost North of $2000.00. Took her to Briarcrest and Dr.Brichler said it would heal with just a cast. He was right its been 4-5 years and she's just fine.

We have had a lot of animals for over 30 years (we have fostered, plus have our own) Seems some Vets are "in it for the money." Dr. Brichler isn't that way, he is the best Vet I have known. Before you spend big bucks get a second opinion.

Wish your dog the best.

Thanks, I will give him a call.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    fwiw, when I had my Belgian at Purdue, after the first analysis the doctor point blank asked me how long I wanted to keep him alive and what I was willing to pay because it was going to be costly. While there is some compassion at that place; it is a teaching vet hospital foremost.
    The only guy I know south of me that I trust for an honest opinion is Greg Keeker at Lafayette Road Veterinary Hospital - Veterinarian In Indianapolis, IN USA :: Meet Our Team
    but I know that's still pretty far north for you.

Top Bottom