• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I been doing some work for an electrical engineer and he was talking the other day about NK using EMP to knock out our grid. Then today I read an article where some Dr.s say it would kill 90% of population in 1 year. Then that led to me looking at some book called "one second later". Guess I have a couple of questions. How real is this stuff?

And the more important question. If our power grid failed today, where or how would we harvest ice? Serious question. Where did ice come from in August in Indiana in 1800?

chocktaw2

Home on the Range
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 5, 2011
    Mayberry
    I been doing some work for an electrical engineer and he was talking the other day about NK using EMP to knock out our grid. Then today I read an article where some Dr.s say it would kill 90% of population in 1 year. Then that led to me looking at some book called "one second later". Guess I have a couple of questions. How real is this stuff?

And the more important question. If our power grid failed today, where or how would we harvest ice? Serious question. Where did ice come from in August in Indiana in 1800?
    That would be the least of your worries.:)

Good read, thanks.:)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

A total grid failure would result in chaos on a major a scale. The infrastructure as in lights water natural gas would grind to a halt when the diesels ran dry. IWC has some seriously huge diesel powered pumps to back up in case the power fails. When the tanks run dry so do the taps.

Ice........least of your worry's man. Those who live hand to mouth with no reserves, who stop at McD's every night to feed the family will be freaking out.
    Stores would empty like a blizzard was coming. Then everything stops. No gas as the pumps will not run. Dead dark at night. Chaos. Dogs living with cats....real old testament kind of stuff.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I love witnessing a fresh epiphany.

It is pretty neat. Most folks never give any of this a second thought. When they do realize things go go south pretty easily it is an Epiphany of sorts.

1 small switch in the grid put the NW sea board in the dark for near a week. Imagine what an orchestrated attack on key grid components would do.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    A total grid failure would result in chaos on a major a scale. The infrastructure as in lights water natural gas would grind to a halt when the diesels ran dry. IWC has some seriously huge diesel powered pumps to back up in case the power fails. When the tanks run dry so do the taps.

Ice........least of your worry's man. Those who live hand to mouth with no reserves, who stop at McD's every night to feed the family will be freaking out.
    Stores would empty like a blizzard was coming. Then everything stops. No gas as the pumps will not run. Dead dark at night. Chaos. Dogs living with cats....real old testament kind of stuff.

This is not normal??

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yeah.....I’ll be screwed.

We won't.
    Usj16IV.jpg

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Im sorry, I dont mean to poke fun at you or your post.... But Im quite curious as to why your first thought was "how do i get ice?"
    I mean, at the thought of a major power failure my thoughts are do I have enough food/water and fire wood to last long enough for the city to clear out? Also do i have enough ammo, to ward off any looters? Having a nice cold drink is pretty far from my concern.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Much truth spoken here, and very good reasons to get rid of that little bastard from North Korea before he does any real damage.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons

I have seen **** that will turn you white!!

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

Why would people even need fuel? Our cars won't start and most people won't be able to get money for fuel anyway..........since they need to use a debit card and have no cash, gold or silver. Most generators will be destroyed by the EMP. Diabetics will suffer. Nursing homes and hospitals would have serious issues. I have no doubt I can hunt deer and fish to survive but my problem would be keeping the meat from ruining, hence wondering how ice would be supplied. I really was never taught how to survive without power, how to preserve meats, etc. I doubt if dad or grandpa ever gave that a thought when they were teaching me how to feed myself.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    The West coast will be the target. Enough concentration of people there to disrupt the entire nation. Assuming a near nationwide total outage were actually possible, anyplace that maintained power would be quickly overrun unless martial law and barricades keep people out. Anyone in an affected major city not receiving outside (Foreign) aid would die off quickly due to rapid decline in food supply, crime, disease, and contamination. Gangs and cliques would form instantly and pillage for whatever they can amass. Assuming the 2A is not suspended, anyone with a stocked food supply and the means to defend it would survive for longer. Those with the ability to leave (wealthy and private aircraft owners) will. Those who stay must have connections and or a steady and replenishable food supply to survive. However those locations will have to fight against those who survive the initial die off. Factory farms/ranches will be the first causalities, without a constant supply of fuel, operable equipment, labor, chemicals, fresh water, a they will dry up, over grow, rot, or be consumed by pests. Small rural farming communities and Amish will hold out the longest assuming they can muster defenses long enough to establish order and seek resupply and trade. Lets face it, Mexico and Canada cannot feed 360 million extra people and the other Continents cant ramp up production and get it here in time.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom