• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    My suggestion would be to shop the likes of Home Depot in about two weeks when they normally have the pre-Holiday appliance sales. I'm certain there must be something a Viking is capable of that my Whirlpool isn't; whatever it is, I apparently have yet to need that feature.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

Assuming you have the money and the space - their 30" models aren't worth the extra, IMHO.

But a more down-to-earth range is a Frigidaire. The oven has very little hot spotting, the broiler is scorching, and the convection is a very useful feature (esp for a big turkey).

The cooktop had some serious burners and they're positioned wide apart, allowing for a center burner; I keep the included griddle replacement there all the time - I do love my grilled cheese sammiches.

The downside is the knobs are easy to bump on (my parents' complaint, not mine), so test that out. And the stainless steel matches Frigidaire appliances, not traditional stainless steel (it has a "smudge-proof finish").

Full disclosure: I own this one.

The other brand I looked at was Kitchenaid. They looked very well built. I can't remember what pushed me to the Frigidaire, I think price was a factor. Although, I first started to look at DCS and Subzero - I was ready to shell out $$$$, but it turned out I didn't need to!

PS - Did you know Frigidaire was founded in Fort Wayne?

Oh, and if sky's the limit, dual fuel and a combo of gas and induction burners would be amazeballs, a la Wolf.

PPS - GE is one brand that I won't ever buy. Ever. Whirlpool and Kenmore are currently on that no-go list as well.

Last edited:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Assuming you have the money and the space - their 30" models aren't worth the extra, IMHO.

But a more down-to-earth range is a Frigidaire. The oven has very little hot spotting, the broiler is scorching, and the convection is a very useful feature (esp for a big turkey).

The cooktop had some serious burners and they're positioned wide apart, allowing for a center burner; I keep the included griddle replacement there all the time - I do love my grilled cheese sammiches.

The downside is the knobs are easy to bump on (my parents' complaint, not mine), so test that out. And the stainless steel matches Frigidaire appliances, not traditional stainless steel (it has a "smudge-proof finish").

Full disclosure: I own this one.

The other brand I looked at was Kitchenaid. They looked very well built. I can't remember what pushed me to the Frigidaire, I think price was a factor. Although, I first started to look at DCS and Subzero - I was ready to shell out $$$$, but it turned out I didn't need to!

PS - Did you know Frigidaire was founded in Fort Wayne?

Oh, and if sky's the limit, dual fuel and a combo of gas and induction burners would be amazeballs, a la Wolf.

PPS - GE is one brand that I won't ever buy. Ever. Whirlpool and Kenmore are currently on that no-go list as well.
    This is more of what we are looking to get. Sitting on the fence if we need to get a convection oven or the regular one. Griddle is a nice touch. Money is a factor with the purchase. Needs to be self cleaning per the wife/boss. Thanks for all your information. INGO is always great for getting info. :bowdown:

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    My suggestion would be to shop the likes of Home Depot in about two weeks when they normally have the pre-Holiday appliance sales. I'm certain there must be something a Viking is capable of that my Whirlpool isn't; whatever it is, I apparently have yet to need that feature.
    Thank you for the pre-holiday sales info. Fun part is what features the wife wants to get.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I don't own a Viking. I have a GE Profile "gas on glass" range. My wife loves it because it's easy to clean.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    This is more of what we are looking to get. Sitting on the fence if we need to get a convection oven or the regular one. Griddle is a nice touch. Money is a factor with the purchase. Needs to be self cleaning per the wife/boss. Thanks for all your information. INGO is always great for getting info. :bowdown:

My parents got one that I believe didn't have true convection, and didn't include the griddle.

The latter was a Xmas gift from me, because pancakes & sausage matter.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    We've got a GE "Slate" finish 5-burner convection. It's absolutely fantastic.

When we were appliance shopping, more than one salesman said that their most often returns are the Korean-manufacture appliances. Samsung and LG - for what that's worth. (Could be that for the prices they ask, anything less than perfection results in a return whereas someone who spends considerably less is willing to live with less than perfection). We went with a whole suite of GE Slate appliances.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    And bacon? :bacondance:

Well, not for me.

I do bacon in a cast iron skillet and start with a 1/2" of water. As the water boils, the fat starts to render, so when the water evaporates, there's fat ready to fry.

Afterwards, any leftover fat goes into a contain for later - bacon fat is the only way I can get my wife to eat brussel sprouts.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    Well, not for me.

I do bacon in a cast iron skillet and start with a 1/2" of water. As the water boils, the fat starts to render, so when the water evaporates, there's fat ready to fry.

Afterwards, any leftover fat goes into a contain for later - bacon fat is the only way I can get my wife to eat brussel sprouts.
    Mother-in-law made pop corn with bacon grease and real butter. The taste was great but bad on the arteries.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

What about induction? I think them are pretty cool...literally.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I've never had a stove last less than 15 years...so sure, if you want to wait for 50 or so years to get the payback on a Viking...assuming it lasts that long. Go for it. Better yet, but a nice stove for around $1,000 and a set of Viking badges to get the primary immediate benefit.

Top Bottom