• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My neighbor has some large trees just inside his property line that are big enough that the branches hang over my yard and when the wind blows I can hear his tree branches hitting my house.

Am I out of line trimming the branches over my property or do I have to ask him to take care of it?

Any advice would be super.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Courteous neighbor asks and is rewarded.
    Homeowner gets no satisfaction and trims along the property line.

Just like the leaves that fall off, whats on your side belongs to you.

Okra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    It would seem prudent to ask the owner to take care of the problem first.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Anything that crosses the fence is fair game, I would have trimmed them back long before they ever touched my house.

If your neighbors tree is close enough to touch your house you live to close...

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Anything that crosses the fence is fair game, I would have trimmed them back long before they ever touched my house.

If your neighbors tree is close enough to touch your house you live too close...

I certainly can't argue with you on this. But I prefer living in the city, and thats one of the things you have to live with. Its an old neighborhood, my yard is long front to back but very little side to side. All the houses are like that here. The neighborhood is full of huge old trees so they kinda do what they want.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I see more neighbors become enemies over trees than anything else. I have seen driveways, sidewalks, houses, electrical risers & fences destroyed by neighbors trees.

I had one guy who his neighbor had big pine trees and the roots were growing under my customers drive and busting the asphalt....that went on for years before courts got involved.

The biggest fight is usually when a neighbors tree falls and destroys the neighbors property, such as house and cars. I have seen $60,000+ insurance claims on people who had neighbors rotten tree fall on their house and cars. A lot of people don't realize you are responsible for your damage whether it was the neighbors tree or not. The only way to avoid this is to ask them politely to take care of it, if that don't work notify them with a certified letter.........that way you can at least try to recover any losses in court that will make you whole again, if anything ever happens. If you have a car in your drive with no full coverage and neighbors tree falls on your car, if you can prove negligence, you have a good chance at recovery....that certified letter can become your proof(insurance).

I would ask the neighbor if it is ok if you trim them back, chances are they will care less and heck, they may even offer to do it.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

If your neighbors tree is close enough to touch your house you live to close...

:yesway:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...If your neighbors tree is close enough to touch your house you live to close...

HoughMade endorses this assessment.

* Not legal advice for anyone. Check with your own lawyer.

There is an old case that says this:
    As for trees that grow so close to the line that their branches extend over the adjoining premises, there is no doubt that, if injury is shown, the adjoining owner may have his action in damages, or he may cut off the overhanging branches so far as they extend above his soil. He may not, though, cross his neighbor's line, and cut down the trees.
    Toledo, St. L. & K.C.R. Co. v. Loop, 39 N.E. 306, 307 (Ind. 1894).

Whether it is currently law or not, I cannot say. It was cited as recently as 2011, but like I said, I'm not giving legal advice.

As for neighbor advice- it's always best to work things out with a neighbor...especially when you live this close.

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I would ask the neighbor if it is ok if you trim them back, chances are they will care less and heck, they may even offer to do it.
    I agree, let the neighbor know that the branches are hitting your house and bothering you and that you would like them trimmed, and if they did not want to have them trimmed then you would be happy to do it.
    More than likely they'll be happy for you to do it so they will not have to pay someone to do it, but I would mention first that you would like for them to have the branches trimmed, this makes you trimming them seem like the better option for them.
    This also depends on your relationship with your neighbor. My neighbor appears to dislike us.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I agree, let the neighbor know that the branches are hitting your house and bothering you and that you would like them trimmed, and if they did not want to have them trimmed then you would be happy to do it.
    More than likely they'll be happy for you to do it so they will not have to pay someone to do it, but I would mention first that you would like for them to have the branches trimmed, this makes you trimming them seem like the better option for them.
    This also depends on your relationship with your neighbor. My neighbor appears to dislike us.

What has INGO ever done to your neighbor???

Top Bottom