• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    This idea of racist film tropes is pissing me off. Yeah, thought about putting this in the SJW thread, but I might actually be committing an act of SJWness with this.

First, let's examine the "White Savior" trope.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_savior_narrative_in_film

It is considered racist because it stands for the proposition - explicitly or implicitly - that non-white people are incapable of solving their own problems. Ok. I can kinda see that. Except it isn't just non-white people. The list includes aliens. And non-humans. Ok. Whatever. I might disagree, but I can see the point that there are films that do suggest non-white people just aren't smart or good or capable. That would be racist.

But wait. One of the modern movies is Million Dollar Arm. Which is based on an actually true story about a baseball scout that goes to India to find talented pitching. That's not racist. That's the profit-motive. He didn't go to India because that's where the brown people are. He went there to find pitchers who also happen to be brown. He's not trying to save them. He's trying to make money on them.

And wait again. Lincoln. The movie about Abraham Lincoln. The president who... ended slavery. Now, it may be an interesting intellectual exercise to sort out if Lincoln was any more racist than any other slave-liberator or slave-holder of his day. But that dodges the issue in terms of the movie: the man actually did it. In real life. In a documented way. Liberated (predominantly) black slaves. As in, saved a bunch of them. Actually. For realz.

How can that be an example of a racist trope?

But hold up. That's not all. If a black character is the hero, that's a different racist trope.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magical_Negro

The racist idea here is somehow equivalent to the "noble savage" convention, which itself is the contrary assertion of the "white savior" proposition: that non-white people are able to achieve goodness, sophistication and effectiveness in the absence of white-ness. Then, they help white people. I'm not completely clear on how that's racist - elevating a non-white person to be subjectively better than white people, but... ok. It does hearken back to stereotypes associated with blackface and minstrel shows. So, within that context, I can somewhat understand it as racist.

But look at Bruce Almighty and Evan Almighty. God was black, among other things. How in the world does that count as racist? Portraying an all-powerful deity (THE all-powerful deity for some of us) as non-white seems like a positive image.

And that's the start of what gets me peeved. Elevating people/aliens with admirable qualities should be ok regardless of what color their skin is.

Otherwise, things become overly simplistic: a black character saving white characters is racist. White characters saving black characters is racist.

All we're left with is white characters saving white characters or black characters saving black characters. That seems a lot like separate-but-equal.

And it stifles creativity.

If I were to start a literary/creative project (not saying I might have in the past), how in the world can race even be a part of it? Not even overtly - how can anyone cast anything without falling into one of these 2 "racist" tropes.

Seriously, some of these things are really counterproductive to race relations. And entertainment.

And personally, I want to see Black Panther with my son because it looks like a REALLY good movie. I don't want to have to wade through the emotional baggage of ivory (or ebony) tower pundits.

Entertainment is for... wait for it... entertaining. A well executed story should transcend these kinds of things and not have to worry about them at all.

Rant mostly over.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I want to know what started you on this journey. :):
    Well, the start was several months ago, and I'm not even sure what movie description first raised it. But then, reading about The Last Jedi and the DC Universe and the Marvel Universe, some sites started bringing these things up. Fringe sites, at first, but then some places seemed to be bringing it up in a way that was intended to validate the tropes.

Pissed me off.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You just need to face the fact that no matter what you say, or do, or think.....or think about NOT saying, or doing, or thinking, is somehow racist or offensive to somebody. pretty simple.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I remember how shocked I was to find out the last Samurai was a white dude.....From Louisville no less...

image.jpg

Liberty1916

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2017
    Home
    Meh, racism has been so over played in the last 10 years that I'm tone deaf to it now. I could not care less what anyone considers racist. (frustration not directed at OP)

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I find this post offensive.
    I'm offended that someone else found my words offensive and offended someone else for being offended by your words, which I don't find offensive but since someone else does, then, obviously, I'm offended yet again because apparently I'm insensitive, and the mere fact that anyone was offended means we should all take up the cause and be offended, strictly in support of someone else's offense. Holy crap! It exhausting being offended!:D

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Comic’s and sci-fi have always (well with the gov’ment out) been in the front lines of social issues. Discrimination, drug abuse, sexual abuse, teenage angst, fighting for powers that be, vigilante lifestyles ect.

Some would say for good some would say for bad. Like only serving coke products at the children’s museum get children into it and it stays with them a lifetime. Or the camel joe cigarette ad’s ect.

Do do I care about tropes? Not one bit. Many of my favorite movies could never be made today. (Blazin saddles) Yet some new movies could not have been made in the past. (The help, pulp fiction) I like what I like and I sure don’t sweat over what anyone else thinks.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Accurate chart is accurate:

4ceChNe.jpg
    I am offended by this chart. It's not inclusive of all several dozen genders, and all cultural, religious or ethnic identities. Yet another example of White Supremacy for having such a chart for only whites.

John

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    I read the Wikipedia article originally cited and an enormous part of it references one heavily slanted Daily Beast article in which the author did not do her homework. One exampe is "The Last Samurai".
    [SPOILER ALERT]
    Tom Cruise doesn't "save" Feudal Japan, or much of anyone for that matter. He fails. If anything his character comes to appreciate the samurai culture for which he had a disdain when he arrived in Japan, becoming a renegade.
    [/SPOILER ALERT]

There are numerous others cited in which the narrative is very correct for their historical and geographic context such as "To Kill a Mockingbird". Atticus Finch didn't succeed; he didn't "save" anyone. Including "District 9" in the list of White Savior tropes was ludicrous. Spielberg's "Amistad" is based broadly on true events. We're supposed to change the narrative about the courage a number of people had to fly in the face of the sitting president and the political power of the slave states?

This is an example of critical thinking. I started seeing the same reference being used and dug further. As compared to nearly all other Wikipedia articles it's poorly written, hinging itself very heavily on the opinions contained in a single editorial that was just as badly researched by its author.

John

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I'm offended by Drama.

No, not films.

You know how someone (typically that person of the other gender that you've exchanged vows with) will walk around the house sighing? And those sighs are meant to elicit a "What's the matter?" from you so they can respond "Nothing"....and then sigh?

That's the drama I'm tawkin 'bout.

JAL

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2017
    Indiana
    Well, the start was several months ago, and I'm not even sure what movie description first raised it. But then, reading about The Last Jedi and the DC Universe and the Marvel Universe, some sites started bringing these things up. Fringe sites, at first, but then some places seemed to be bringing it up in a way that was intended to validate the tropes.

Pissed me off.

I don't put much stock into the shrill noises regarding what Hollywood chooses to back financially, produce and release. All too often it's by pundits and sideline observers who have nothing better to do than throw darts at people who are actually doing something. I'm reminded of what a crusty old U.S. Army colonel once remarked to some fellow cadets who were whining and taking jabs at a project some other cadets were doing for the benefit of the Corps of Cadets:
    "If you don't like how the wagon rolls, then get out and help change the wheel. Otherwise, don't complain about the ride."
    My message to those shrill whiners would be to write scripts, procure the financial backing required and produce the films they want. Otherwise, don't complain about what's offered up in the theaters. If you don't like them, don't pay to see them. Nobody is forcing anyone to go to a theater. I vote with my feet on a good amount of Hollywood's output.

John

Top Bottom