Outboard not run since 2008 - now what ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I just bought back a small boat with an outboard I sold to a friend in 1987. He said the last time he used it was in 2008 and the motor ran just fine. BUT - 9 years since the motor's been run and now it surely must need something besides just dusting it off, filling the tank, and pulling the starter cord. It's a 15 hp 2 cycle Mariner (Mercury).

The motor turns over freely and it feels like it has good compression. Besides putting in a couple of new spark plugs and perhaps adding some Sea Foam to the gas mixture and trying to start it, what else should I either try to do on my own - or consider having done ? Water pump impeller replacement, replace lower unit oil, rebuild carburetor ? I have some mechanical ability but I've never worked on an outboard motor. I'd do a You Tube search, but not sure what to look up.

Any advice appreciated - thanks in advance.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Pretty sure that uses a water pump impeller. I'd definitely change it if it were mine. Make sure to pull the drain plugS on the lower unit and replace the grease/lube. Once you take it to the lake I'd drain the lower unit again and check for water in the lube.
    Check fuel lines and all connections.
    I make sure my gear runs. I don't like to work an oar.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Even if he used stabil and didn't run it dry the carb will be a mess. Id take it off and rebuild it or have it done. I have had good luck googling the part number of items like carbs and finding new ones on ebay or craigslist at prices that made it a easy decision to not mess with the old one.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    New plugs. Couple drops of oil in the cylinders to lube the rings. Pull/clean the carbs and if needed replace any parts that look bad. Fresh gas.
    You should be off to the races as far as the engine goes. Then address the lower unity as in oil change and inspect/change the impeller.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    I think I'll do the minimal items ( new gas with sea foam, new plugs, put a little oil in each cylinder) and see if I can get it started. I did find some YouTube videos about do it yourself water pump impeller replacement and it looks pretty straightford so I think I could accomplish that as well as changing the lower unit oil.

However, I don't think I would want to tackle trying to rebuild the carburetor. Anyone on here know of an outboard mechanic ? I would prefer not to take it to a dealership as my perception is the price would be pretty high.

Again, thanks all for the comments/suggestions.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I think I'll do the minimal items ( new gas with sea foam, new plugs, put a little oil in each cylinder) and see if I can get it started. I did find some YouTube videos about do it yourself water pump impeller replacement and it looks pretty straightford so I think I could accomplish that as well as changing the lower unit oil.

However, I don't think I would want to tackle trying to rebuild the carburetor. Anyone on here know of an outboard mechanic ? I would prefer not to take it to a dealership as my perception is the price would be pretty high.

If and when you get it started you will know if the carb needs attention. If it acts wonky do not run it lean as you will hurt it.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We run some mighty old outboards up in Canada each year, most are still all original parts. I’d do the fresh gas, fresh lower unit juice, oil in the cylinders and fresh plugs and see how she runs. There’s at least a decent chance the carb is just fine if it ran well last time it was used.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    New plugs. Couple drops of oil in the cylinders to lube the rings. Pull/clean the carbs and if needed replace any parts that look bad. Fresh gas.
    You should be off to the races as far as the engine goes. Then address the lower unity as in oil change and inspect/change the impeller.

This. If the engine isn't stuck (lucky you), it's not too hard to get a sleeping engine going again. I had a motorcycle that sat for 12 years and my current tractor project say for 6 or 7 (not running yet).

CM is on the money.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

IF it runs you can always spray some 2 CYCLE carb cleaner in it. Merc Quick Silver is good 2 CYCLE carb cleaner. Remove the fuel line and spray enough in the engine to keep it running.
    The carb isn't that difficult to rebuild. Just lay it out in order as you disassemble it. There's very few parts in it.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    1979 Mariner Outboard 15 [EL] [ 7015529] - Parts Lookup - Crowley Marine

I use this all the time to find parts and to assemble said parts.
    Friend of mine has a Mariner, forget the hp but an older 2 stroke. He needed a new impeller, and even with the old one in hand was having a hard time finding what he needed. Finds a guy finally that knows a bit and it turns out that the motor was actually a design from Yamaha that Mariner, or maybe it was Mercury, had bought from Yamaha and just labeled it as their own. So, to get the impeller, he actually had to go to a Yamaha dealer. For what its worth.

To add: not sure if that is your particular motor in the link above, but it likely will have what you need.

Last edited:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    UPDATE:

As I stated I would -I pumped a little oil into each cylinder (as CM suggested) and put in the new plugs, picked up some fuel line from NAPA and installed, got some new gas and added the 2 cycle oil. Pumped the bulb on the gas line, closed the choke and set the tiller throttle to "start." On the third pull the motor fired up. I immediately turned it off as I hadn't hooked up the garden hose/ear muffs - just initially wanted to see if it would start.

I did notice some smoke coming out of the lower unit that continued to escape (like vapor) after I turned the motor off but I'm crossing my fingers and guessing that was the result of my pumping some oil into the cylinders. If it's more serious I guess the rings could be stuck but thinking that's not likely since the compression seems to be good and the motor fired up. I'll see if this god away when I hook up the garden hose and let it run for awhile - with the assumption the impeller is working, at least a little, and it's peeing a stream of water.

I found several You Tube videos on how to remove/replace the impeller and a quick check on eBay and Amazon revealed good availability of just the impeller or a whole kit including gaskets. I plan to replace the lower unit oil at the same time. Re: the carburetor, if the motor runs fine I'll leave it alone. If not, I'll probably look for a tech to do that job. I have too many bad memories of taking apart a four barrel Holley as a teenager and having some parts left over when I put it back together.

Got all winter to do this I guess - but my continuing curiosity will result in sooner than later. Keeping my fingers crossed about the "smoking" issue.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    The smoke was most definitely a result of you putting oil in the cylinders. I wouldn't worry about that at all. Perfectly normal. When you fog them to winterize, they will puke smoke and run you outta the shop quicklike.

Glad you got it running. Just In time to learn how to winterize it :)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    UPDATE:

As I stated I would -I pumped a little oil into each cylinder (as CM suggested) and put in the new plugs, picked up some fuel line from NAPA and installed, got some new gas and added the 2 cycle oil. Pumped the bulb on the gas line, closed the choke and set the tiller throttle to "start." On the third pull the motor fired up. I immediately turned it off as I hadn't hooked up the garden hose/ear muffs - just initially wanted to see if it would start.

I did notice some smoke coming out of the lower unit that continued to escape (like vapor) after I turned the motor off but I'm crossing my fingers and guessing that was the result of my pumping some oil into the cylinders. If it's more serious I guess the rings could be stuck but thinking that's not likely since the compression seems to be good and the motor fired up. I'll see if this god away when I hook up the garden hose and let it run for awhile - with the assumption the impeller is working, at least a little, and it's peeing a stream of water.

I found several You Tube videos on how to remove/replace the impeller and a quick check on eBay and Amazon revealed good availability of just the impeller or a whole kit including gaskets. I plan to replace the lower unit oil at the same time. Re: the carburetor, if the motor runs fine I'll leave it alone. If not, I'll probably look for a tech to do that job. I have too many bad memories of taking apart a four barrel Holley as a teenager and having some parts left over when I put it back together.

Got all winter to do this I guess - but my continuing curiosity will result in sooner than later. Keeping my fingers crossed about the "smoking" issue.

Left over parts are viewed as profit.....:):

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    UPDATE:

Don't worry about the smoke. Mostly exhaust I'm guessing and 2 cycles smoke.
    Get it running right and run the heck out of it. Sounds like it's doing what it's supposed to be doing at this point.
    IF you get it running smooth, idling, taking throttle, starting easy, and pumping a solid stream of water then you should be good to go.
    Make sure you check the lower unit for water in the lube.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom