• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    I don't know if anyone has noticed the new trend of gas station pumps equipped with smallish TV monitors that blast advertising at you while you are pumping gas. I'm often at Marathon stations and they are using these more and more (Marathon pumps seem to use "Gas Station TV" or GSTV).

I find these pumps EXTREMELY irritating. I don't need to see/hear advertising for whatever it is they're trying to sell while I'm pumping my gas.

These GSTV equipped pumps would be tolerable if they had a MUTE button clearly marked on the pump. Most (if not all) in my experience don't.

I've found that swiping down on both columns of buttons will put the pump into "diagnostic" mode and mutes the sound. After I discovered this "feature", I double-checked that my cc payment went through inside the "quickie mart" and it always has. I still feel a little uneasy putting the pump in "diagnostic" mode to avoid listening to yet more advertising, but since the gas station apparently can't respect my desire to pump my gas in silence I don't feel too bad about putting the pump in "diagnostic" mode.

Anybody else find GSTV (and similar "services") at the as pump annoying?

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    It's simple. Go to another station.

It is that simple (if it is that simple)--tell the manager that because of their obnoxious televisions (really, I'm pumping gas for two minutes--can't we enjoy silence for two minutes??) that you're going to their competition across the street.

If a bunch of people do it, maybe the gas station will care.

Maybe they're getting enough revenue to offset your loss of business and they won't care.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The first time through the reel doesn't bother me all that much but I drive a truck and if I have gas cans too, it might roll through 3-4 times...by the time I'm done pumping, yeah it's pretty annoying.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't like music, tv or other noise at a gas station so I avoid those places. It interferes with my SA and at gas stations these days you need SA.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I hate any type of ad, audio or video while pumping. Only station I've found around here that has it the newer BP at 96th. I avoid it and all Circle K's because they have audio ads at the pump and "swipe you tag!" at inside checkout.

I have noticed Popeye's and now McDonald's have a prerecorded greeting/sales pitch that plays when you pull up. I figured it out right away by the noxiously cheerful tone of voice, but I noticed on later visits this causes people to start ordering before the order taker is ready.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    That's a reasonable response when you know that the station has GSTV-equipped pumps. When you don't know before pulling into the station or you're in a location without nearby alternatives, that isn't such a workable solution.

It's not like you won't need to pump gas again. Just remember which ones have it.

It's stupid and I don't like it and I can't believe they'd actually make enough ad revenue to make it worthwhile except they already have the screens for "modern" CC readers and whatnot so it just ends up being unused electronics 98% of the time.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    On a totally unrelated note, anyone else slightly paranoid about hitting the "no receipt" button? After all, if they decide to fudge the rounding (or worse), you have no proof.

Last edited:

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    Yeah, I find these things very annoying.

It makes it difficult for me to enjoy the loud fender rattling booming noise coming from the still running hoopty parked on the other side of my pump.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    On a totally unrelated note, anyone else slightly paranoid about hitting the "no receipt" button? After all, if they decide to fudge the rounding (or worse), you have no proof.

ALWAYS get a receipt.
    It doesn't hang up for some reason, next thing you know you're getting a $$$$ bill.

Top Bottom