• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    We're at our farm now for hunting season and all of the corn is still standing. This isn't particularly unusual for our place but the condition of the corn doesn't appear to be very good. It looks like quite a bit is starting to break off and hit the ground. The farmer (who we unfortunately don't get along with very well) hasn't started picking on any of his ground that we know he farms but all of the beans are gone.

We're curious about what may or may not happen. Are there any scenarios where simply leaving the corn standing might happen? If the crop is considered unusable for one reason or another would the farmer be likely to still pick it or maybe just knock it down and till it under?

I know nothing of farming, just looking for info from those who make their living this way.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    We're at our farm now for hunting season and all of the corn is still standing. This isn't particularly unusual for our place but the condition of the corn doesn't appear to be very good. It looks like quite a bit is starting to break off and hit the ground. The farmer (who we unfortunately don't get along with very well) hasn't started picking on any of his ground that we know he farms but all of the beans are gone.

We're curious about what may or may not happen. Are there any scenarios where simply leaving the corn standing might happen? If the crop is considered unusable for one reason or another would the farmer be likely to still pick it or maybe just knock it down and till it under?

I know nothing of farming, just looking for info from those who make their living this way.

I'm no farmer first off, but I'm pretty sure that if he claims it on crop insurance, it's supposed to be destroyed aka bushhogged. Whether he decides to actually spend the money on fuel and time to do so remains to be seen. If he claims it, he can not still pick it and sell it.

I'd guess ( wag) he's waiting for it to dry on the stalk and does not have a grain dryer.

Otoh,

The deer will love that being mowed down, especially late season, but it obviously removes their cover and sense of security. If it gets mowed, it probably won't be tilled, disced, or cultivated. Beans will be drilled in next spring.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    That corn can stand all winter, have seen some corn shelled in the spring, when it freezes solid he can she'll it this winter.

No stress.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    That corn can stand all winter, have seen some corn shelled in the spring, when it freezes solid he can she'll it this winter.

No stress.

Leaving it standing will cause all kinds of stress for us, I'm hoping that is not the plan.

Thanks for the info

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Corn can still be harvested in the spring. You will not have a stellar harvest. Heavy snow and wind will put a fair amount on the ground. And when it gets cold, deer will pig out on it. Helps keep them warm.

We had a neighbor who never got this one field picked until spring. He was old, had old equipment, wasn't hurting for $$$. I think he kept farming because he didn't know what else to do. It sucked for us hunting because that 80 acre field held every deer for miles once the temps stayed below freezing.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Leaving it standing will cause all kinds of stress for us, I'm hoping that is not the plan.

Thanks for the info

It could get to the point it is more profitable to leave it stand. This is a late year for harvesting around here. We never have crops in the field in November, but are not 1/2 way done yet. There just has not been that "2 solid weeks of harvest weather" around me, and the next couple weeks don't look promising.

The good news for you is if he leaves it, you will have the best late season hunting you have ever had. The corn will break down especially in a big snow, and you will be able to shoot a good bit across it, and your farm will have every deer in the country. The down side is, you wont see much rut as it will happen in the corn.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I spend three weeks hunting from around Halloween on every year, it's tough for me to get out late season. I'm hoping it comes down soon, corn standing through November basically ruins a lot of money and a lot of time for us.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    With the lower temps it takes longer for the field to be dry enough. If there is a heavy frost/dew or a rain the night before it makes it hard to harvest. You might see that corn come down the next sunny day.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I ran up to Indy Saturday. Couldn't help but notice a lot of late standing corn, especially the small fields surrounded by woods. Thought it seemed odd.

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Because a lot of corn was planted late this year some is not drying down like it should. He may have left it for a while hoping it will dry naturally and not have to spend as much money on LP gas to dry it himself. It's not a great decision this year because LP gas is not expensive and field losses could cost more than the drying expense.

Last edited:

awames76

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2016
    kendallville
    it will be atleast 2 or 3 weeks before we can have our4 acre field taken out, not because its not dry but because we have 1 more week for our corn maze, and part is haunted so there is stuff in there. then the next weekend to take said stuff out. was planted early june. its our 15th year doing it.

PGRChaplain

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Waynedale (FT Wayne)
    The problem here is some Crops had to be replanted resulting in the Late Harvest. Beans mature before Corn, so they are first harvest. Largest Problem this late is Wet Ground, Combines get stuck real easy.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    None of the fields on our place were replanted. To be honest it all looked dry and ready to be harvested a month ago. Found out the field off of our northwest corner was harvested today. That may help a little but I'm not too optimistic.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    None of the fields on our place were replanted. To be honest it all looked dry and ready to be harvested a month ago. Found out the field off of our northwest corner was harvested today. That may help a little but I'm not too optimistic.

Different varieties of seed mature and dry down at different rates, guessing the guy is behind or waiting for the corn to get under 12-14% moisture so the elevator doesn't beat him up on dry down fees.

On the bright side he will most likely plant beans there next year and have them out at least a few weeks before hunting season starts...

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    You ever try slow stalking standing corn on a windy day? It is pretty fun and you can get right up on them.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    You ever try slow stalking standing corn on a windy day? It is pretty fun and you can get right up on them.

I have not but I'm sure its a great technique. The problem I (we) have is that we have to get video for the TV show, stalking through the corn isn't going to produce quality footage unfortunately. If it would I'd love to try it, haven't seen it done before (on a show).

Top Bottom