• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    Screwed up this year.. havent collected a lick of firewood yet and didnt buy and while prices were down. The lady just asked me for the first fire of the season and now ive got to go to work or shuck out the cash,
    anyway this will be the second year for us in this home. When we moved we had the fireplace inspected and cleaned. I dont know about you guys but when my fire place starts up the heater goes off and the fire will continue to burn as long as im around or their is wood to keep it fed.
    Growing up in my familys home we had a HUGE fireplace, unusually large for the size of the home. I cant remember us ever cleaning the chimney. So, to the point, after keeping a fire running consistently for a season how long should i wait before having the chimney swept? Am i good to go this year??

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    Nope. Get it swept. Chimney fires are not worth guessing if it needs swept or not. Creosote forms faster than you think, especially if you are burning wet wood or keeping flue temps below 400 degrees or so. The top of your pipe will be the worst, so inspect it there if you want. Don't just look from the bottom....it won't look bad. If it does, your top is severely built up.

I burn 2 to 3 full cords (6 to 9 ricks) of wood a year, and sweep every fall before burning season. Lots of restarts means lots of sub 400 flue temps.

If you have a round chimney, look into a sooteater from Amazon and clean it yourself. This tool allows you to do it from your living room and not rooftop. It goes in a drill. You can make the thing for any diameter pipe. Rtfm or you will make a mess inside and the lady will be pizzed.

As to getting wood yourself this time of year, it will just furthur your creosote production by burning stuff that isn't seasoned. It also takes more wet wood to make the same amount of heat as dry wood.

Last edited:

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    It depends a lot on your stove also. The newer more effient stoves burn a lot cleaner. I did mine last year at the end of the season and there was nothing. Edited to add I burn several cords a year also. All hard woods that is seasoned

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2016
    Bloomington
    This place is smaller and so our fireplace is also pretty small, i purchased 2 ricks before first snow last year. We used every piece but some of it was used for firewood in the pit outside during summer. Id say we probably roasted a rick and a 1/2. We were gone for a good section of last years winter as well. Id say if i start burning now id probably use 2 full ricks this year and none for outside fire pit.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    This place is smaller and so our fireplace is also pretty small, i purchased 2 ricks before first snow last year. We used every piece but some of it was used for firewood in the pit outside during summer. Id say we probably roasted a rick and a 1/2. We were gone for a good section of last years winter as well. Id say if i start burning now id probably use 2 full ricks this year and none for outside fire pit.

If it got cleaned last fall, and that's all you burned, and all you will burn this year..... you are probably ok but why chance it is my point. A sweep is around $125 or so depending on roof height. Or buy the brushes to Do it with that $125.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    If it got cleaned last fall, and that's all you burned, and all you will burn this year..... you are probably ok but why chance it is my point. A sweep is around $125 or so depending on roof height. Or buy the brushes to Do it with that $125.

Do you know who is doing the sweeps for $125? At the old house, I would have it done every two or three years (we don't burn that much, and we burn hot). One guy said there was almost no build up when he cleaned it once. I usually paid maybe $100, if that. There were cleanings and inspections and they were both different. We've been in the new home two years now and I want to have it cleaned just to see what the build-up is like. Now all the same companies are charging anywhere from $199-$225 and all are claiming that they tie in cleanings with inspections, thus the higher prices. Don't mind paying the extra for the inspection really, but it sounds like the industry standard is now to combine a cleaning and inspection.

Top Bottom