Home Furnace: Failure to light, fan safety switch?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Furnace Wouldn't Light:
    1) Cleaned Ignitor.
    2) Cleaned Flame Sensor.
    Watched what happened: Purge, Blower Start, Ignitor Activates, gas valve clicks, nothing happens.
    Gas Water Heater is working fine.
    3) Tried tapping on valve after click, nothing
    4) Called service
    They traced it back to low voltage to gas valve, traced back to two safety switches on fan. He jumped them out, system fired up. Pulled jumper off & it shut down.
    Said he wanted to confirm some things, then came back in & said it's working fine. Admitted he can't exactly explain why they were tripped, why they wouldn't reset, or why they started working again. Have part numbers for new if needed.

Any opinions of the above, anything I should do next? Seems odd to me, but I know almost nothing about HVAC.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Check your fresh air intake/exhaust for a wasp nest. Happened to me one time with similar symptoms. The furnace had sucked the nest all the way back into the furnace causing it to not get enough air. The vacuum side of my blower/vac sucked the nest right out and shredded it through the vacuum's impeller.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Check your fresh air intake/exhaust for a wasp nest. Happened to me one time with similar symptoms. The furnace had sucked the nest all the way back into the furnace causing it to not get enough air. The vacuum side of my blower/vac sucked the nest right out and shredded it through the vacuum's impeller.

yeah, or just leaves even. I've had snow drift around it also and lock out the system.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Furnace make.....how old....plastic or metal exhaust flu.....is there a circuit board on the blower. Whet fan, exhaust or main blower. If it was the exhaust the safety could be weak and needs replaced. It will open if the flu gets to hot. If it is the main blower those should be manual resets. They will trip if the furnace overheats for any reason mainly a dirty filter or a slow/no blower.

These are all unseen guesses at best. It could be something totally different.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Goodman, 4 years old (house was complete July 2013), dates on unit are Mar 2013. Plastic Flu, & now I show my ignorance, fan is one on top section with circuit board. Bottom section has burners, valve, etc. Tech., said he's not seen safeties on that fan before?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Goodman, 4 years old (house was complete July 2013), dates on unit are Mar 2013. Plastic Flu, & now I show my ignorance, fan is one on top section with circuit board. Bottom section has burners, valve, etc. Tech., said he's not seen safeties on that fan before?

Tech was a stooge.
    Filters clean...etc.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just changed it during it's no work time. 4" filter, old one wasn't that dirty. Did try turning Furnace on/off a couple times.

If he said the safety on the main blower was tripped most of those are manual resets. He could have well nudged the reset which is dead center on the safety.
    If this happens again do not do a hard reset on it as in cycling main power. There is a plastic peep hole in the blower door. If a safety opens it should give you a flash code on the board light. You can see this light through the peep hole. The code will steer you in the general direction of the failure. The reason may have to be discovered.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    Does that model have a test on the circuit board?? If so follow directions on the door. i am following for interest. Had one similar to the issues but it was a blocked drain for the condensate for the burner box. Might check all tubing for the drains

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    My mothers LP furnace had the same symptoms this pass weekend... Narrowed it down to jumping out a pressure(vacuum) switch on the exhaust fan and it fired up. Used a large paper clip straightened out to poke out what looked like soot in the port the hose attached to on the furnace. Did a manual (via mouth) vac test on the switch with continuity tester and the switch checked out. Re-attached everything and it fired up.

Basic troubleshooting minus actual part failure...

:ingo:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My mothers LP furnace had the same symptoms this pass weekend... Narrowed it down to jumping out a pressure(vacuum) switch on the exhaust fan and it fired up. Used a large paper clip straightened out to poke out what looked like soot in the port the hose attached to on the furnace. Did a manual (via mouth) vac test on the switch with continuity tester and the switch checked out. Re-attached everything and it fired up.

Basic troubleshooting minus actual part failure...

:ingo:

Bingo.
    On the OP's issue the ignition process will not start if the safety's on the flu are open. On the dual pressure safety's one will have to prove as in close in a set time period to prove to the board the exhaust fan is operating. Then the ignition cycle starts.
    If there is an open safety in the circuit with the gas valve the symptoms will be a described on some units.
    It should throw a code on the board.

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    So far it's still working, when it stops working, I'll check the board for sequence of flashes.

Thank You Churchmouse & others, much appreciated.

Amazing how I'm comfortable in house @ 67, but 60 was COLD!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So far it's still working, when it stops working, I'll check the board for sequence of flashes.

Thank You Churchmouse & others, much appreciated.

Amazing how I'm comfortable in house @ 67, but 60 was COLD!

Mentally, just knowing you had no heat makes you aware.

No worries. Love to help.

Top Bottom