• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We have not one, but TWO of the recalled fire extinguishers. Not to painful, new ones coming in 15-20 days. Thanks Spear Dane!

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the heads up. I have 2. Submitted the information and it says they'll send me new ones within 20 business days.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Please spread the word on this. Millions of these things are out there and people have been hurt/killed when the handle broke when someone tried to use it.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    STORY TIME!! Back in the day (20 years ago, 1997) when I was stationed in Iceland we were having the annual fire extinguisher training. It was winter, so it was pitch dark outside even though it was maybe 0930-1000. Now the Fire Chief (that's who always came out) would light a big pan with jet fuel and somebody would put it out with an extinguisher. We still had some old CO2 extinguishers back then, so that was a choice along with the ABC-type. I'd used an ABC dry chem, but never a CO2. So I raised my hand and grabbed the old beer cooler/CO2 fire extinguisher. For about 2 seconds it only made the fire angry, then it went out.

Next time: Halon cylinders in Korea tried to kill me in 1993. I know they tried to kill me because everything went into slow motion.

Check those fire extinguishers INGOers!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I work in the industry and we have known about the threat for years. Our techs wont touch them when somebody wants it inspected. (commercial requirement) There was a story out of Huntsville 7-10 years ago that I have video of. (unfortunately not on youtube) A middle aged couple was watching TV and heard a loud pop from the other room. Then their room started filling with dust.

The plastic head extinguisher that was sitting on the table suffered a catastrophic failure of the threads and it launched the head through the ceiling, sending ABC powder throughout the entire house. That stuff is a PITA to clean up. I bet they are still cleaning that dust up.

Some tips:
    For residential applications, you dont need to have them serviced/inspected. As long as it is newer than 12 years, the tamper seal is intact, and the needle is in the green, You're good.
    Replace them every 10 years or so. (12 years is where the tank needs to be pressure tested or disposed of)
    Dry chemical extinguishers should be periodically turned upside down and shaken. The powder can solidify if it sits for many years undisturbed. (e.g. under your sink at the back of the cabinet) I shake mine when I replace the batteries in my detectors.

Also, if you can afford a clean agent extinguisher, they are worth the money. As I said above, the dry chemicals are hard to clean up. The chemical isnt toxic, just annoyingly messy and covers every flat surface in the place you use it.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Saw two on the way out the door this morning. Will have to check the other extinguishers in the house. The one in the truck is not a Kidde.

Kidde must have some pretty deep pockets to replace this many extinguishers and not go out of business.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Saw two on the way out the door this morning. Will have to check the other extinguishers in the house. The one in the truck is not a Kidde.

Kidde must have some pretty deep pockets to replace this many extinguishers and not go out of business.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Dry chem might not be toxic but it sure sucks balls if you get it in your eyes, nose, mouth, lungs, etc.
    Years ago, there was a controlled thermal event in my garage (high school kids being high school kids :rockwoot:). Rule 1 of having fun with fire: have an extinguisher and an exit plan. Rule 2: don't leave the fire extinguisher in the hands of the most unlucky, panicky, and accident prone member of the group.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I bought three new units earlier this year. Thankfully I got the models with metal valves and handles.

Fire suppressant story. In high school and college I worked as a chef at a steak house. One night the vents above the grill caught fire. Didn't look that bad at first. My BA walked over and grabbed an extinguisher and came back to douse said flame. Unbeknownst to us, the fire had shot up the vent and the roof unit was ablaze. Just as he was about to hit it, the Ansul system let go and I, standing 2' from a nozzle, got covered head to toe. The entire restaurant was clouded and we had to evacuate the full dining room. Got outside and saw the roof, the roof, the roof was on fire. I suggested we let the MF burn but the manager called the FD.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Dry chem might not be toxic but it sure sucks balls if you get it in your eyes, nose, mouth, lungs, etc.
    Years ago, there was a controlled thermal event in my garage (high school kids being high school kids :rockwoot:). Rule 1 of having fun with fire: have an extinguisher and an exit plan. Rule 2: don't leave the fire extinguisher in the hands of the most unlucky, panicky, and accident prone member of the group.

Having fought MANY fires, yes the powder sucks.
    sucks
    sucks
    sucks

Top Bottom