I couldn't understand IMPD Chief's recommendation of firing the 2 cops today.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Sure, an alleged criminal was shot dead, his family isn't happy, not you made the other side mad at IMPD, too.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The Chief is the ultimate authority. Sometimes people don't understand that and are upset by the decisions he makes. I don't necessarily agree with his decision, because I don't have all the information he was given that I wasn't. But I accept his decision because he is my boss.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I trust this Chief more than I do some of our previous ones. At least he has been a street cop and knows the dept. God only knows what kind of circus poo show Straub would have turned this in to.

The fact the Firearms Review Board was unanimous that the officers violated policy would also make it hard for the Chief to not recommend they be terminated.

I'm extremely thankful that I'm not involved in this in anyway, not as a participant, investigator, or decision maker. Tough row to hoe all the way around.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Firing their guns wasn't the best option(in their minds), but was it An option?

What the chief did was pretty much guaranteed the per's family gets a fat check.

Pay to go-away, I guess.

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    There is a few things the public doesn't seem to consider. Criminal vs internal investigations. And also garrity rights. Always more to it then you are told. And the ones making the decisions have the information they need that you don't.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Well the public/tax payers(myself included) will pay the price of his decision. It would be nice to know.

Also it's a good way to **** off the mass behind the law enforcement.

The criminal community and their families will not like you no matter what you do for them.

The whole thing smells like kissing up the wrong crowd, just because of the feelings.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well the public/tax payers(myself included) will pay the price of his decision. It would be nice to know.

Also it's a good way to **** off the mass behind the law enforcement.

The criminal community and their families will not like you no matter what you do for them.

The whole thing smells like kissing up the wrong crowd, just because of the feelings.

Your 1st sentence was my thoughts.
    Man was a career criminal. His last act was his best one as it will steal from everyone of us.
    It cost his life but in the end his biggest heist.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Seems like the chief is allowing the system to work. I have no inside information, but from the outside, it appears that he let the investigations proceed objectively. Now that the reports are in, he would prefer that these officers not be in the department. He's the boss. He's getting paid to make those kinds of decisions. There's a system for that, too, so he's allowing that system to play out.

Part of being an effective police force is having credibility in the community. I can't fault the guy for considering that. It shouldn't be the primary driver of decisions, but it also can't be ignored. Same for SOP. Not all violations are created equal. But, it is up to him to balance as he sees fit.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    After watching almost all of the hearing, I am ashamed I reacted out of emotion when this first broke last year. From the sound of it, it sounded like a bad shoot. However, I could not have been more wrong. A lesson I will not forget. Not happy about the conduct of some decision makers in the PD either.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The big lesson that I see is the importance of being able to articulate your thoughts, and reasoning for the actions.
    I don't know all the details by any means. Juat what has been in the news and what I have heard from other officers who responded. It all comes out in the wash. Just glad they came out clean. I always felt the chief and some deputy chiefs were awful quick to throw them under the bus. In this case the merit board shows its importance for balancing power and not just serving at the will of the chief

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    John Kautzman's a pro.

I'll tell you what - Hogsett's later statements about "changing" the Merit Board reflect a dangerous rationale. They did what they were supposed to do. Just because he doesn't like the result doesn't invalidate the process.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    John Kautzman's a pro.

I'll tell you what - Hogsett's later statements about "changing" the Merit Board reflect a dangerous rationale. They did what they were supposed to do. Just because he doesn't like the result doesn't invalidate the process.

Exactly. This case exemplifies exactly why merit law is the way it is. Mike and CJ were cleared in every inquiry they were placed in front of. That in itself speaks volumes about the case. That the mayor wants to wield basically unlimited power over merit law shows that the rule of law falls second to the politics of any given situation and that is very dangerous.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I am glad to hear this.

On the other hand, Mayor Stinky Shoes didn't even wait until tomorrow. Not having control over the board to allow for influence in politically motivated decisions seems to be a problem for Stinky Shoes.
    [h=1]Hogsett calls for Merit Board system to be changed after officers in Bailey shooting are cleared[/h]
    In a statement released shortly after Civilian Police Merit Board announced its decision, Hogsett said the system must be changed “if we are to continue building bridges of trust between our brave police officers and the communities they proudly serve.”

The Merit Board is made up of seven members, who are appointed to serve four year terms. Unlike many boards and commissions, they do not serve at-will and cannot be removed or replaced from office by newly elected officials.

Hogsett calls for Merit Board system to be changed after officers in Bailey shooting are cleared | FOX59

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I am glad to hear this.

On the other hand, Mayor Stinky Shoes didn't even wait until tomorrow. Not having control over the board to allow for influence in politically motivated decisions seems to be a problem for Stinky Shoes.
    Hogsett calls for Merit Board system to be changed after officers in Bailey shooting are cleared

In a statement released shortly after Civilian Police Merit Board announced its decision, Hogsett said the system must be changed “if we are to continue building bridges of trust between our brave police officers and the communities they proudly serve.”

The Merit Board is made up of seven members, who are appointed to serve four year terms. Unlike many boards and commissions, they do not serve at-will and cannot be removed or replaced from office by newly elected officials.

Hogsett calls for Merit Board system to be changed after officers in Bailey shooting are cleared | FOX59

The guy is a turd. Guys like hogsett and the council majority and the 10 point coalition will turn Indianapolis into chicago.

Something I didnt know till recently was that the city actualy pays the 10 point coalition. Does anyone besides me think that seems like extortion?

So does anyone know if the officers get to keep their jobs? I hope so

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    The guy is a turd. Guys like hogsett and the council majority and the 10 point coalition will turn Indianapolis into chicago.

Something I didnt know till recently was that the city actualy pays the 10 point coalition. Does anyone besides me think that seems like extortion?

So does anyone know if the officers get to keep their jobs? I hope so

I don’t know the inner workings of it all, but they seem to claim their program as a big success, all while actual violent crime is increasing.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OK I'll ask: any Intel on BLM, ANTIFA, ETC showing up over this?

Top Bottom