• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Friday night a lady swerved out of her lane to avoid a car that pulled out in front of her, side-swiping my wife. That car is the only car we have that can get the whole family around. The small-time insurance company out of Indy, Geneva Insurance, doesn't have any after-hours claims etc. The door is sprung badly enough that there is a large gap at the top so we couldn't go anywhere with the kids in the rain (or we would get water in the car). So we beared with it through the weekend and filed a claim this morning. Their 2-person adjuster department FINALLY got back with me this evening. I requested a rental car & replacement car-seats. He said he can't authorize that because of the "sudden emergency doctrine". Upon looking it up, it seem like a cop-out to avoid paying on a claim. Their insured swerved out of her lane of travel, striking my wife's car, how can they use this crap as a cop-out to screw over people that weren't at-all at fault?

My wife bears no fault, yet we're likely going to be screwed. If I file a claim with my insurance I lose my no claim discount and deductible, all because a lousy, no-name insurance company cares more about the bottom line than doing the right thing.

Screw 'em...

Just ranting. Going to file the claim with my company tomorrow...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Why are you dealing with them?
    Any time I've needed to, I've talked to my insurance agent and let them deal with it.
    Trying to avoid the "claim hit" on my record... I know that's an option, I just figured in a cut-and-dry fault situation it would be easier to deal directly with them and my agent recommended that as the best approach until they become non-cooperative. They've become non-cooperative so here we are...

The company is Geneva Insurance Company...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Trying to avoid the "claim hit" on my record... I know that's an option, I just figured in a cut-and-dry fault situation it would be easier to deal directly with them and my agent recommended that as the best approach until they become non-cooperative. They've become non-cooperative so here we are...

The company is Geneva Insurance Company...

Maybe I've been lucky. But I've never been penalized for someone else's fault accident.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    What about the person who pulled out, causing the swerve?

Not trying to be a d*ck, but what if the other option was T-boning the car that pulled out at speed, maybe the sideswipe of your wife's car was the better option, in which case, it may not have been negligent. The person who pulled out, that would seem to be where the true fault lies given the way you described it. The way this works out in court (which is the basis they use in determinining liability for the accident) is that the accident may have more than one cause and no party involved is supposed to be held liable for more than their portion of the fault.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Always get your people involved regardless. As you were trying to avoid a small hit it cost you a lot of time.
    Of course the fly by night company will duck and avoid. I have been through this multiple times with people running into my vehicles while stopped at lights or signs. Every freaking time we were dead still and got smacked. Their insurance (my uninsured once) always sucked and I had to sue 2 times to get relief.
    I have always hated insurance companys until I went with AAA. They are the real deal.
    You insurance is there to fight for you. Use them. Regardless.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    What about the person who pulled out, causing the swerve?

Not trying to be a d*ck, but what if the other option was T-boning the car that pulled out at speed, maybe the sideswipe of your wife's car was the better option, in which case, it may not have been negligent. The person who pulled out, that would seem to be where the true fault lies given the way you described it. The way this works out in court (which is the basis they use in determinining liability for the accident) is that the accident may have more than one cause and no party involved is supposed to be held liable for more than their portion of the fault.

Bet you lunch they disappeared.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I used to sell insurance and always dealt the the at fault company (ie. NOT mine.)

I never had any real problems. I had to sue Allstate, and got into an argument with another company, but all were resolved fairly easily.

I would never want to involve my company unless I was at fault. Just unnecessary. However, it seems that we each have our own experiences with the system that teach us to move in certain directions. C'est la vie...

Doug

PS - Mention filing a complaint with the Insurance Commissioner and see how quickly they move. That will move most folks.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I was broad sided almost 3 years ago. Almost 5000 dollars damage. Not my fault. The gal had no insurance and a suspended drivers license. I called my agent and they took care of everything. I told them I was afraid that my insurance was going to go up because of the claim. They said don't worry. It's not your fault. I got a check in a week or so. No problems and my rate did not change. Because I had uninsured motorist so I didn't even have a delectable.

If you are having an issue, you need a new agent! And or a lawyer.

This was State farm.

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    A couple years ago I got into an accident not my fault (idiot turned left from the right lane of a one way with me in the left lane next to her) and tried to file with her insurance company as there was no way I would be at any fault. They came back with I was 10% at fault of the accident. Went through my insurance company, no fault of mine, over a year later from that accident I got my deductible back. This summer, someone didn't see me and pulled out in front of me. Not my fault, filed a claim, got an estimate the same day. My car was at least driveable from that one (same car as the other accident). My car insurance went up after that accident, but that is to be expected when you go from a 2009 Honda Accord to a 2016 Chevy Equinox. My car wasn't totaled but I didn't fix it, sold it to a car dealership with a body shop. Got almost 11k out of the car (4k for wrecked car and almost 7k for damage).

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    132   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    If your car is 5 years old or less you will be better off to go through your insurance, you will get your deductable back after your insurance goes after the other insurance company once fault as been officially determened.

If you have a newer car, by Indiana parts law the other persons insurance is not required to use factory new parts to repair your car. They can write for used or aftermarket even if the car is less than 1 year old.
    On the the other hand if it is 5 years or newer your insurance company, by Indiana parts law has to use more factory new parts without a fight to repair your car.
    This does not apply to every part but it is signifcant.

If it is older then 5 years then it is a free for all and quality of the repairs depends on the integrity of the repair shop to fight for and do what is right.

Having said that you need to make sure you have rental car coverage on you policy. Your insurance is not obligated to provide rental unless it s on your policy, but the persons insurance company is obligated to provide rental.

As a repair shop 9 times out of 10 everything goes smoother when the peron uses their insurance....... well maybe not 9 out of 10, I havent really kept track but more often then not

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Bet you lunch they disappeared.

Haha, you owe him lunch! She stopped, was profusely apologizing for causing the accident, then the responding officer told her to leave because if her car wasn't hit, she wasn't at-fault even if she was the true cause of the accident. I certainly hope that her information was recorded at least.

Allen, the repairs will be mostly paint. Cosmetic damage on all panels on the passenger side but physical damage only to a door. Only part that needs a full replacement is the passenger door and it will likely come from a salvage yard (local one has one for less than $1k).

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Haha, you owe him lunch! She stopped, was profusely apologizing for causing the accident, then the responding officer told her to leave because if her car wasn't hit, she wasn't at-fault even if she was the true cause of the accident. I certainly hope that her information was recorded at least.

Allen, the repairs will be mostly paint. Cosmetic damage on all panels on the passenger side but physical damage only to a door. Only part that needs a full replacement is the passenger door and it will likely come from a salvage yard (local one has one for less than $1k).

Next time you are up this way the burgers are on me....:)

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Why are you dealing with them?
    Any time I've needed to, I've talked to my insurance agent and let them deal with it.

This exactly! Similar situation several years ago although the lady that hit me had the same company for her auto insurance that I had for my homeowners. I called my agent and told her to fix it or they'd lose my business, she insisted it wasn't their problem since it was auto and not homeowners. I explained that I couldn't tell the difference, magically the problem disappeared an hour later! Take advantage of whatever leverage you have.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    This exactly! Similar situation several years ago although the lady that hit me had the same company for her auto insurance that I had for my homeowners. I called my agent and told her to fix it or they'd lose my business, she insisted it wasn't their problem since it was auto and not homeowners. I explained that I couldn't tell the difference, magically the problem disappeared an hour later! Take advantage of whatever leverage you have.

We have both property's, all the vehicles and 2 life policy's through the same agent. He takes care of anything that comes up.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I was broad sided almost 3 years ago. Almost 5000 dollars damage. Not my fault. The gal had no insurance and a suspended drivers license. I called my agent and they took care of everything. I told them I was afraid that my insurance was going to go up because of the claim. They said don't worry. It's not your fault. I got a check in a week or so. No problems and my rate did not change. Because I had uninsured motorist so I didn't even have a delectable.

If you are having an issue, you need a new agent! And or a lawyer.

This was State farm.

Progressive has treated me well in similar situations; a couple of no fault incidents that they had to pay, one over $6k, never saw a penny of rate increase!

Top Bottom