• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I thought some of you may get a chuckle out of some of the screw ups and stories I have after about 7 months on the job.

#1. To start this out there was a new dispatcher and a super boot (me). I was just released from fto and was just a few days into riding solo. I hear a call come over the radio, "all units in the area of blank and blank report to blank" The two streets at that intersection have very unique names and i didn't think to check the call list. I call 10-76 and flip my lights on and head to where i thought i should be. Suddenly the veteran dispatchers are like WTF freekforge where are you and what are you doing. completely confused i look at the call list and see that call wasn't even in my town heck it was on the other side of the county. Then my phone blows up and guys are calling me robo cop. haha good fun. Here i was thinking i was sheriff john bunnell and everyone else was thinking i was an idiot. The 2 of us are still catching crap on our mistakes.

#2 My brand new uniform pants were torn by a really mean chicken. enough said

#3 I always try to stop by and say hi to the kids at the elementary school if possible. I noticed on one of these stops that one of the teachers was a girl i went to school with. Me being the smooth ladies man i am I decided i would stop and play kick ball with the kids to impress her and you know do some community policing or something lol. I get out and play a couple games. During one of these im running to first base and some little punk blasts me in the head with the ball knocking me off my feet. I get up brush off and look back to see the teacher laid back on the picnic table laughing. I was beet red and tried to play it all off and finished the game and went back on patrol. I got a friend request and message from her that night asking if i had a headache. (I did get her number btw)

# 4 i have about 3 hours of me horribly singing 90s country songs, countless bathroom breaks, and fifteen minutes of me staring at a bird and asking myself what kind of bird it was recorded on a body cam because i forgot it was running.

Anyway just thought it would be fun to share some mistakes and stories i found funny.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I thought some of you may get a chuckle out of some of the screw ups and stories I have after about 7 months on the job.

#1. To start this out there was a new dispatcher and a super boot (me). I was just released from fto and was just a few days into riding solo. I hear a call come over the radio, "all units in the area of blank and blank report to blank" The two streets at that intersection have very unique names and i didn't think to check the call list. I call 10-76 and flip my lights on and head to where i thought i should be. Suddenly the veteran dispatchers are like WTF freekforge where are you and what are you doing. completely confused i look at the call list and see that call wasn't even in my town heck it was on the other side of the county. Then my phone blows up and guys are calling me robo cop. haha good fun. Here i was thinking i was sheriff john bunnell and everyone else was thinking i was an idiot. The 2 of us are still catching crap on our mistakes.

#2 My brand new uniform pants were torn by a really mean chicken. enough said

#3 I always try to stop by and say hi to the kids at the elementary school if possible. I noticed on one of these stops that one of the teachers was a girl i went to school with. Me being the smooth ladies man i am I decided i would stop and play kick ball with the kids to impress her and you know do some community policing or something lol. I get out and play a couple games. During one of these im running to first base and some little punk blasts me in the head with the ball knocking me off my feet. I get up brush off and look back to see the teacher laid back on the picnic table laughing. I was beet red and tried to play it all off and finished the game and went back on patrol. I got a friend request and message from her that night asking if i had a headache. (I did get her number btw)

# 4 i have about 3 hours of me horribly singing 90s country songs, countless bathroom breaks, and fifteen minutes of me staring at a bird and asking myself what kind of bird it was recorded on a body cam because i forgot it was running.

Anyway just thought it would be fun to share some mistakes and stories i found funny.

:yesway:

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    Only 3 hours? Meh. I got entire shifts (different genre of music and I started a number of cat fights in various areas)!!

Big difference being el lobo solo, huh?

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Great stories. Thanks for sharing.

#3 really got me laughing, and maybe you didn't show her the image of you that you'd hoped - Policeman/Kickball Hero, but maybe she saw an image of you that she liked - Good Guy who likes kids, who has a good honorable career with a future, and who can take a punch and get up smiling.

Not long ago, I'd just left a voicemail for a fairly important man that I work with, and then one of my favorite Pink Floyd tunes came on the radio, so I crank up the sound (and there may or may not have been singing). When the song was over and I turned the radio back down, I saw the little button was still green on my Iphone.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    O.K. I'll play, but my story is in reverse.

I am a contractor by trade, and one of my customers is a local city police officer. A patrolman to be precise.
    His wife (at the time) was a school teacher.
    My brother and I were remodeling their kitchen one day when they both happened to be at home.

Shortly before lunch I got a call from my friendly neighborhood FFL telling me that my new Judge was in, so at lunch we went and picked it up.
    I carried my new toy into the house with me, still in the case.
    When I saw the officer I said, "Come look at my new toy", and I held out the open case.

He reached out and picked up my new Judge for a look. He opened the cylinder, dry-fired it, and generally fingered it from end to end.
    When he as done he held the gun out and I held out the open case. He laid the Judge back into the case and commented how much he liked my new revolver.
    I shut the case and looked at his wife standing on the other side of the counter and said, "See, that's what you want to do whenever you get a new gun. Get a cops finger prints all over it!"

SHE busted out in laughter. He turned white as a sheet, and I just grinned ear to ear.
    He realized that HE was the only person present to have prints on this gun...

We all had a pretty good laugh about it later, but sometimes he still gives me a side-ways look.

My dad used to say,
    "People are like water. If you don't stir them up now and again they turn stagnant!

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    O.K. I'll play, but my story is in reverse.

I am a contractor by trade, and one of my customers is a local city police officer. A patrolman to be precise.
    His wife (at the time) was a school teacher.
    My brother and I were remodeling their kitchen one day when they both happened to be at home.

Shortly before lunch I got a call from my friendly neighborhood FFL telling me that my new Judge was in, so at lunch we went and picked it up.
    I carried my new toy into the house with me, still in the case.
    When I saw the officer I said, "Come look at my new toy", and I held out the open case.

He reached out and picked up my new Judge for a look. He opened the cylinder, dry-fired it, and generally fingered it from end to end.
    When he as done he held the gun out and I held out the open case. He laid the Judge back into the case and commented how much he liked my new revolver.
    I shut the case and looked at his wife standing on the other side of the counter and said, "See, that's what you want to do whenever you get a new gun. Get a cops finger prints all over it!"

SHE busted out in laughter. He turned white as a sheet, and I just grinned ear to ear.
    He realized that HE was the only person present to have prints on this gun...

We all had a pretty good laugh about it later, but sometimes he still gives me a side-ways look.

My dad used to say,
    "People are like water. If you don't stir them up now and again they turn stagnant!

:rofl:

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Update to number 3 is we have had lunch and coffee a few times shes pretty cool. Our schedules are really getting in the way though.

kokomodave its funny you should mention el lobo solo, my grandpa had a picture of him and i wanted to be just like him when i was a kid. But yes its completely different when im all by my lonesome. the upside is all the vocal practice i get now that my fto isn't telling me i sound like a dying elk.

Heres another funny one. I got dispatched to a fight the caller stated it was a cat fight. I arrived on scene to find two actual cats fighting. The other officer that showed up thought it was a prank since he only has a week before he transfers. But it was a legit call, old lady called 911 because 2 cats were fighting.:)::rofl:

Top Bottom