• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For those who don't know me, I'm 24 with a family to support. I'm currently a custodian at a large central-indiana college and the job is about as dead-end as it gets. There is no opportunity for advancement and skills and experience that I'm gaining are only good if I want to retire as a custodian, which I damn sure don't. I believe that I'm way too young to be hitting a ceiling just yet. I don't really have the financial means to go to college but I've been hearing about the new Workforce Ready Grant and have started looking into it. IT seems to be the most steadily growing field so I figure it'd be a good one to get into while I'm still young. The link at the end of this post contains a list of certificate programs that are available through the WRG. If you have the time, patience, and compassion, I'd appreciate some input as to which would be the most beneficial to opening the door to an IT career.

Before you ask:

I have a basic knowledge of computers. I'm a little more savvy than your average grandma but I'd be considered a beginner by anyone who could offer some insight here.

I don't know much about different IT careers so I'm not sure what I want to do. Network security *seems* interesting to me based on my limited knowledge. I'm not sure something like web design would interest me because I'm more of a "figure out how it works and learn how to fix it" type of person as opposed to making up new things.

Link: https://www.ivytech.edu/19511.html
    *Note: To see the options, select INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY & BUSINESS TECHNOLOGY from the dropdown menu under the ELLIGIBLE CREDIT PROGRAMS heading.

Thank you in advance.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Buckle up for a wall of text.......

First!

Get yourself an "A+ study guide". Put "Classes" in the back of your mind, only return to it if the following doesnt help. (This will save you time and cash)

Learn the things in the book, pass the test get the cert. Then apply for every low level IT job you see. While you're at it study what ever the low level Microsoft cert is and get that. Then if your feeling confident and motivated get yourself a raspberry pi and a "Linux + study guide" learn Linux at very least a little bit. Once you have those three bases covered. Pick a favorite and double down hard on it. Live it breathe it, become passionate about it.

Networking and Network security, can be very lucrative fields. I actually went to college for networking, got my degree and discovered that is incredibly tedious and not near as rewarding as one may think. BUT hey thats me, im pretty sure you are not me, so maybe you will like it... My best advice would be learn a little networking.... Maybe not the cisco technician route, but at least learn the basics about how it works.... learn about DHCP, DNS, Nat'ing, ports, forwarding, subnets (not subnetting, but learn about what subnets are and how they work/what they do) also learn about vlans, routing, bridging, firewalls, ACL's, Arp. etc. Learn how data moves through the network. You don't need to be hardcore to understand those basics.

If security is a passion already, then feed off that. I suggest learning all you can about linux, and networking (as stated above) and learn about "Pen Testing"
    if this is a road you take, get the book "The Art of Deception" read it, or grab the audio book. This book is about social engineering. This is something you should have and understanding of for pen testing. Also, for me personally, I very strongly feel that in this day and age of network breeches, credit card fraud etc. every one should read this book. As far as pen testing, goes, if you got yourself a raspberry pi and are learning linux, get the kali linux OS on your pi, and then start learning the tools, hell if you have an old PC at home, hack it from the pi. While you are at it, learn all you can about intrusion detection/prevention systems. Also learn everything you can about bash scripting and Python.

Learn about what a hypervisor is, and fully understand the concept. Read about VmWare, and Hyper-V. Watch videos, again you don't need to be an expert, but make sure you have a firm grasp on what this is. Hypervisors and storage are what the "Cloud" is made of.

For years and years and years. Microsoft was the top dog. If you wanted to accomplish anything in a corporate environment you needed to know windows.
    Things are changing. Its becoming a linux world now as well. 40% of VM's spun up in Hyper-v are Linux boxes as reported by microsoft. Hell they are even partnering with linux in many ways. Linux is becoming too powerful for even microsoft to hold back in the enterprise world. Bottom line if you want to really make it you will need to know and understand linux. You dont need to be linux guru, just understand enough to get by, but I hightly suggest you strongly consider it for a career.

There are a few big companies in the city soaking up all the linux guys and programmers it can. So everyone else is struggling to find them. This is the part where I have to say, I'm super bias'd bc I'm a linux admin. I was recently poached from one company to a better bigger much better paying job.

But don't double down hard on linux with out a solid understanding of computer hardware, and hell even windows. The more you know the better you are. Even if you go into a windows world job, with a basic linux understanding down the road you may find you can save a ton of cash by using linux for your storage, or for file shares, or as hosts for software, thus making you more of an asset to your company.

In regards to hardware knowledge. In addition to learning the hardware stuff associated with A+, learn about raid controllers and the types of RAID. Also learn about the various kinds of disks floating around. SSD, traditional sata drives, etc.

Do some research on data back up and recovery. Understand the importance of proper and secure back ups. In regards to data back up philosophy, I strive the the 3-2-1 back up policy. 3 Copies of the data, 2 on site, 1 off site. Understand deduplication and syncronis vs asycronis data backup.

Now this next bit is in no way an assumption of your character even in the slightest. Please don't take the next bit personally, I just feel the need to point it out and I would say the same to literally everyone interested I'm IT.

Dont be a dbag. Be a good person. The days of "******* IT guys" is coming to an end. The industry wants smart, friendly, and team oriented people. IT is a team sport now. So prepare for that. Many in the industry feel, you can teach a person tech all day long, but you can't teach them not to be an asshat.

Never stop learning the stuff.

Love Linux? Learn pyhon and docker

Love windows? Learn office, powershell, exchange, AD.

When you interview, speak from a place of passion. Talk about how you spend your free time playing with this stuff. Learning programming or better understanding a kernel or windows powershell etc. Show a little excitement for the tech. We nerds/geeks are passionate excitable people.

Be happy, friendly, curious and and ambitious to get on a great team.

In interviews don't talk about how you hate your job or why it sucks. Talk about your interest in joining a team where you can make a difference where you can better serve customers. Something with growth potential. Something you can be proud of at the end of the day.

After the interview as soon as you get home. Email them. Even if you felt the interview went poorly. Thank them for their time and express it was a pleasure meeting them and you look forward to a chance to meet their team.

When you get a job. Go all in on the team. Integrate yourself. Be as helpful and willing to learn as you can be.
    DOCUMENT EVERYTHING!!!! Information yearns to be free and shared.

Be patient, when starting a new job in IT. It will take you at least 6 months to feel you have a firm grasp on whats going on, and start to really pull your weight. 1 year and you will be basically settled and really ready to make some strides.

When you start to get your feet on the ground and you feel you are getting it, and are doing well. Be an open book. Welcome questions. Be an asset. Become a wealth of knowledge. Never respond with "Hell, I don't know" Respond with "Hell, I don't know, let me figure that out for you" or "Hell, I don't know, lets figure it out." Its not always about knowing the answer off the top of your head, its about base understanding and the ability to research/figure things out.

Work hard to always climb the ladder. Always strive to be the top of your department. Work hard, be that guy you would love to work with.

Bombard me with questions if you have them. I will do all I can to answer them.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    The main reason that I'm looking at the classes is that they're (as far as I'm understanding) free with the WRG and end with a cert. Also, I really don't understand a lot of this and this program is geared toward getting working-age adults into high-demand fields.

As far as applying for every low-level IT job, I still have a wife and son to support. I need to make at least what I make now and preferably keep my family insured.

I'm also hoping that these classes will take me from a beginner who can basically use a computer for basic functions (internet browsing, playing games, email, creating essays/powerpoints) that one would need a computer for in high school to someone who can grasp the concepts of programming. All I know about programming is that you're basically the one telling the computer what you want it to do. Most of the terms you used in the above post are foreign to me.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    The main reason that I'm looking at the classes is that they're (as far as I'm understanding) free with the WRG and end with a cert. Also, I really don't understand a lot of this and this program is geared toward getting working-age adults into high-demand fields.

As far as applying for every low-level IT job, I still have a wife and son to support. I need to make at least what I make now and preferably keep my family insured.

Feel free to skip as much of the advice as you like or even skip all of it. That's just my soap box sermon

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I'm more of a "figure out how it works and learn how to fix it" type of person as opposed to making up new things.

This part is what caught my eye. I turned wrenches for 27 years. Then I went back to school for web design but wound up as a .NET software developer. When I think about it, it's not much different than being an auto mechanic. I spend a lot of time diagnosing (software errors) and fixing bugs. It's not nearly as dirty and physically demanding though. It also pays much better. Maybe that's what you are looking for.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    You noted many of the terms are foreign to you. There are no dumb questions and you will get 0 judgement from me. I'm here to help. As stated above bombard me with questions. Seriously if you ask me literally 100 questions I will answer all of them

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    This part is what caught my eye. I turned wrenches for 27 years. Then I went back to school for web design but wound up as a .NET software developer. When I think about it, it's not much different than being an auto mechanic. I spend a lot of time diagnosing (software errors) and fixing bugs. It's not nearly as dirty and physically demanding though. It also pays much better. Maybe that's what you are looking for.

I've grown up in a family of truck drivers and mechanics and I even took two years of auto tech in high school. I also enjoy figuring out how various types of guns work. I'm the type of guy who geeks out watching those old Army training videos where they use 10x scale cutaways to show soldiers how M1s operate and videos on how various types of engine work.

Right now, I'm at that stage with computers that most junior high guys are with cars. The ones who can point out a Challenger and tell you that it's fast but couldn't tell you what that HEMI badge on the side means or what a hemispherical head is. I can use a computer, but I can't "operate" one, if you get my meaning.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    You noted many of the terms are foreign to you. There are no dumb questions and you will get 0 judgement from me. I'm here to help. As stated above bombard me with questions. Seriously if you ask me literally 100 questions I will answer all of them

Is there a site I could go to that would let me begin to grasp some of these concepts? Like a Dummies/How Stuff Works that's free?

CyberGuyPR

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    NWI
    IT is a very exciting field is you are passionate about it. I started as a desktop support guy back in '99 and currently am an Information Security Engineer doing all kinds of cool stuff (to me at least) protecting some seriously critical things. Good post by fullmetaljesus. Read it carefully. I also invite you to check out a community that has been key in my professional development: TechExams. The fine folks there can help you set a path and provide valuable input on which certs will help you out the most. Best of luck.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    It depends on the computer guy. Hardware guys try to build and tweak hardware to get the most performance out of it like car guys do. Security guys tend to read up on the latest attacks and defence mechanisms. I can't tell you what programmers do, since I am an old Hardware/Security/SysAdmin guy.

I also play computer games as well for fun.

As far as advice, if you are interested in something, and you have a computer start learning on your own. Classes will help, but if there is no passion to learn about the field you are in, and it is just a paycheck then I am not sure it is what you should do.

I have switched my career multiple times and have had to learn new things all the time. I have done Helpdesk, desktop support, Windows Server Administration, Linux Administration, Network Engineering, Network and Systems Architecting, Business Consulting, etc. In the past 25 years technology has changed, evolved. I am constantly learning something new. Sometimes it is something I need to learn, sometimes it is something I find interesting.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    As an aside, what is it that computer guys do for fun? Gun guys build/modify guns to suit a purpose. Car guys try to build faster cars and tougher trucks. What do computer guys find fun?

They finish out their mom's basements.

I keed, I keed.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Is there a site I could go to that would let me begin to grasp some of these concepts? Like a Dummies/How Stuff Works that's free?

I'm a free source I don't mean to gloat but I'm very good with explaining tech concepts in easy to grasp ways.

Also, YouTube is your friend. Start with A+ stuff. That's the basic "computers 101". That's the "change your own oil" "flush your radiator" "change your break pads" "do your own tune up" and if you really dig in, the "repair/rebuild small engines" level.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Hardware guys work towards better running machines

Programmers write custom programs for personal reasons. Games, microcontroller projects, customer home automation

Linux guys - all of the above mentioned

Windows guys - read about Linux, and play games

Then general nerd types get into random new tech. Such as 3d printers, Arduino, robotics , replica building.

With your mechanical back ground I would match that with Arduinos and relays to build robots and other cool stuff like that.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Nothing to add other than I applaud you for long-range thinking. Try to get IT work/training while keeping current job/benefits. Then make the full time leap when possible.

Top Bottom