Join INGunOwners For Free
Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SmileDocHill View Post
    I agree, thats on my list of upgrades for both better tape and butterflies. I also need a pen light, nasal airway...
    That tape is pretty much for holding various gauze and dressings for boo boo's, sprain, strains... I have low hopes of it working for securing a chest seal.
    How do you pack gorilla tape more efficiently?
    For emergency use, a couple of wraps of the 1-inch size around an IBD twice will do the trick.

I also carry wads of regular size by folding one end about the length of a credit card on the sticky side, then I very carefully wind a bunch of layers over the top of that. I can carry a significant amount of tape in a flat package that unwinds almost as easily as it did originally from the roll. Some people do the same trick with an actual credit card (old/cancelled) as a form to wind the tape, but if you're careful you don't need it.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhino View Post
    For emergency use, a couple of wraps of the 1-inch size around an IBD twice will do the trick.

I also carry wads of regular size by folding one end about the length of a credit card on the sticky side, then I very carefully wind a bunch of layers over the top of that. I can carry a significant amount of tape in a flat package that unwinds almost as easily as it did originally from the roll. Some people do the same trick with an actual credit card (old/cancelled) as a form to wind the tape, but if you're careful you don't need it.
    I do the "credit card trick", I just use a thin piece of clear plastic even thinner than a credit car.

I use red electrical tape to mark the end of the duct tape.I use that as a pull tap to get to the duct tape faster.

And of course I use black duct tape to be more tacticool and match my high speed, low drag, all back trauma shears.

By not folding the duct tape over itself I can use the entire lenght of it, and not use a few inches by having it sticking to itself.

User Info Menu

This is not lifesaving, but an innovative solution for closing small wounds. It is a next gen butterfly. Note that at the beginning of the video they warn about closing deep wounds.

And then I looked up the cost $29.99 each.

https://www.amazon.com/ZipStitch-Lac...terfly+bandage

User Info Menu

Dark Angel sale
    save 20 percent on all trauma kits with code DAMLOVE
    sale ends Feb 15th
    "Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem."

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights. The rights existence is all the reason he needs." Benson Everett Legg - Woolard v. Sheridan

If you're a noob, develop thick skin, and read the FAQs

Actaeon - act'-tee-on
    The death of Actaeon - http://www.paleothea.com/Myths/Actaeon.html

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by blue falcon View Post
    This is not lifesaving, but an innovative solution for closing small wounds. It is a next gen butterfly. Note that at the beginning of the video they warn about closing deep wounds.

I've seen those a little while ago.
    If you're in a situation where you need to close a small wound you probably need to show it to a physician first.
    And if it needs to be closed they will probably use surgical suture instead of that thing.

Even if the wound is not deep or large you might create more harm than good by closing it, especially if it was not properlly cleaned (which is hard to do in the field).

User Info Menu

I have many hairline and dissapeared scars that were minor lacerations, that either my parents or I closed with butterflies.

When I was a kid, I was what they called accident prone, the first aid squad (all volunteer) took me to to the hospital several times. Other times they treated me on the spot. They taught my parents about butterflies and that cut down on the calls to the fire house (all volunteer).

I have had countless wounds that were never seen by a doctor. The last time I went to a doctor, he sutured the wound, but did not prescribe an antibiotic. Three days later my hand was the size of a baseball and the sutures had to be removed and the wound healed open.

User Info Menu

I have many hairline and dissapeared scars that were minor lacerations, that either my parents or I closed with butterflies.

When I was a kid, I was what they called accident prone, the first aid squad (all volunteer) took me to to the hospital several times. Other times they treated me on the spot. They taught my parents about butterflies and that cut down on the calls to the fire house (all volunteer).

I have had countless wounds that were never seen by a doctor. The last time I went to a doctor, he sutured the wound, but did not prescribe an antibiotic. Three days later my hand was the size of a baseball and the sutures had to be removed and the wound healed open.
    Well it depends on the type of wound obviously.Also the location of the wound etc.

But I've seen some people adding suture kits to their "trauma kits", thinking that if they got shot or stabbed they would just close the wound themselves and move on.

Some people have poor judgement when it comes to evalute the severity of a wound.
    Some people go to the ER for a minor fever, some don't go if they dislocate their shoulder.

User Info Menu

This was my intro to their video.

Sharpshooter

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SMiller View Post
    You could always start with the simple, best thing you can do in a mass casualty is start flipping people on their sides as airway is the first of the ABC's and no one likes choking to death on their own tongue...

Gloves in a mass casualty is a joke, a arterial bleed makes a mess, you are going to get covered, no time to triple glove up so you can keep striping gloves between patients.

Belts make horrible tourniquets, a SOFT-W CAT gets the job done, a RATS is easy to carry and will buy time but have my concerns about it completely stopping blood flow having said that they work great on small limbs (kids) as well as 4-legged animals.

OP, Band-Aids, alcohol pads, and lube are not needed in a mass casualty... What you described is helpful but has nothing to do with mass casualties and that is what you made this thread about.

I would worry about real life threatening possiblities such are vehicle crashes, cuts, and trama that you might see in the day to day as the chance of being in a real mass casualty is pretty rare.
    I am so happy to see someone else thinks the RATS are overrated . I stick with the soft myself. I would suggest anyone that hasnít been through some sort of GSW, TCCC, basic stop the bleeding class, take the time and go to one. I myself have been through plenty and itís not a topic to take lightly, this will roll over to youre place of work, your family, friends.. etc..

User Info Menu

Those are very cool!

You can MacGuyver a similar result with super glue and cordage, but it's nowhere as easy to apply and get the wound margins pulled together.

Have any of you every used Steri-Strips to hold a wound closed and then had a reaction to the adhesive? I have never had a reaction to other kinds of tape, but the adhesive on those strips left me with some fairly serious chemical burns.

"The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State."
    INDIANA CONSTITUTION
    Article 1 - Bill of Rights - Section 32

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

To prevail you must ACT!

Page 35 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 LastLast