Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    In light of recent attacks with mass casualties we need to think of the aftermath. EMTs and ambulances response times are no faster than police.

Most of us think through GGWAG senarios, but it would be a good idea to plan on good guy with a band aid situations too.

Are you prepared?

I have recently started carrying an EDC IFAC.

• It began as a Rescue Essentials ankle IFAC. It comes with a Sof T tourniqiut, 4" Israili bandage and two pair of Black nytril gloves.
    • https://www.rescue-essentials.com/rescue-essentials-tactical-ankle-medical-kit/
    • It has 3 Molle attachments in which I added a pair of EMT shears.
    • I rolled a Nasopharengial airway as amall as the package would and taped apacket of lube to it and put it in the pocket with the gloves.
    • I added a pack of band aids, alcohol preps and a mask in the pocket with the Israeli bandage.

What do you carry? I highly recommend Rescue Essentials most of their prices are very competitive.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I carry the most useful stuff in my head:
    Lifeguard certification (not quite as useful for most land emergencies)
    FA/CPR
    AED/Oxygen

Usually carry a Sof-T tourniquet.
    Have FA Kits stashed in various places at work and home, and each car has one.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    Not much... My brain, my hands, a sharp pocket knife, basic first aid kits in vehicles, and always wear a quality belt that can be used as a tourniquet or harness. Quality BLS care is biggest factor in successful outcomes...

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I carry an NAR CAT, 4” Izzy, and nitriles. My JEEP kit has several 4 and 6” Izzy’s, Qwik-Colt Zfold and sponge, more z-fold, shears, chest seals, and a couple NPA’s, along with extra CATs. I also carry decompression needles in a capacity to “arm” trained personnel if needed(I’ve not received much in the way of tension pneumothorax training)

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    I carry an NAR CAT, 4” Izzy, and nitriles. My JEEP kit has several 4 and 6” Izzy’s, Qwik-Colt Zfold and sponge, more z-fold, shears, chest seals, and a couple NPA’s, along with extra CATs. I also carry decompression needles in a capacity to “arm” trained personnel if needed(I’ve not received much in the way of tension pneumothorax training)

If you are going to carry decompression needles, might consider adding a decent stethoscope and BP cuff to your kit....

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I really like the look of the ankle med kits and have considered them for certain things. I can't see myself carrying it every day, In part because I don't wear pants that often and go for shorts. I know this sounds as bad as "I carry my gun when I think I need it" but I could see myself carrying it on my ankle when I felt compelled depending on what I was doing and just suck it up and wear pants even if it's hot. Keeping med stuff in the vehicle or in my bag that's near by at work is just so convenient and I only carry is a CATs in my pocket right now. Going to events or church etc where I could likely need it would make it nice, but I feel like "that guy" only using it sometimes. I hate these threads! Here I'd been feeling good about carrying a tourniquet and now this :D I feel like I can't get something and do "some of the time" I'm just not that guy lol

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    You could always start with the simple, best thing you can do in a mass casualty is start flipping people on their sides as airway is the first of the ABC's and no one likes choking to death on their own tongue...

Gloves in a mass casualty is a joke, a arterial bleed makes a mess, you are going to get covered, no time to triple glove up so you can keep striping gloves between patients.

Belts make horrible tourniquets, a SOFT-W CAT gets the job done, a RATS is easy to carry and will buy time but have my concerns about it completely stopping blood flow having said that they work great on small limbs (kids) as well as 4-legged animals.

OP, Band-Aids, alcohol pads, and lube are not needed in a mass casualty... What you described is helpful but has nothing to do with mass casualties and that is what you made this thread about.

I would worry about real life threatening possiblities such are vehicle crashes, cuts, and trama that you might see in the day to day as the chance of being in a real mass casualty is pretty rare.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I would say in my mind I carry my cats for personal use. I feel like having something to stop a bad bleed that's not on a limb would be a useful addition though. I just usually think in terms of self application for stuff I keep on me. However thinking beyond that to others I feel like it gets harder to keep on your person every day.

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Gloves in a mass casualty is a joke, a arterial bleed makes a mess, you are going to get covered, no time to triple glove up so you can keep striping gloves between patients.

If somebody has arterial bleeding in a mass casualty situation, I'm helping somebody else. Just not going to go where I can't help.

And gloves? Gloves are for me. If I don't get a chance to change them between working with different victims, oh well. Better for the victim to risk hepatitis and live than to bleed out because nobody helped.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If I or my family are badly injured the supplies are definitely for us first. Staying alive is the first cause. Once I am able to either unharmed or fixed up my mind set is to help others.

Ladies if you have sanitary napkins in your purse get them out we need them... You in the dress shirt take it off now and rip it into strips... NOW!

Come over here right now and hold down on this wound, come on! put your weight on it! Don't worry about hurting her, she will bleed to death if you don't!

Mindset. You need to know what to do. You need to take charge.

Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    If anyone is really interested in “the oh ***** moment” trauma care, you should consider attending a TECC or TCCC class...

Since we are talking MCI, familiarizing yourself with START triage criteria can help benefit the largest number of people.

injb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2014
    Indiana
    Where can ordinary people with zero medical knowledge learn how to help in these kinds of situations? I wouldn't have a clue how to use any of the items you are talking about carrying. Is this something a non-professional can realistically learn?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    Where can ordinary people with zero medical knowledge learn how to help in these kinds of situations? I wouldn't have a clue how to use any of the items you are talking about carrying. Is this something a non-professional can realistically learn?

If you watch the tactics and training forum, you'll see med courses offered. Several good sources here in Indiana. You might start with a CPR course.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    If somebody has arterial bleeding in a mass casualty situation, I'm helping somebody else. Just not going to go where I can't help.

And gloves? Gloves are for me. If I don't get a chance to change them between working with different victims, oh well. Better for the victim to risk hepatitis and live than to bleed out because nobody helped.

Agreed. I carry several pair in my kits, but am not overly interested in protecting the victims from each other.

And per an article I read a little while back, ditch the black nitrile gloves. You always want blue(ish) or white. Part of the evaluation is to take note of what kind of blood you are dealing with. Is it dark red? (slow veinous) Bright red? (fast arterial) Cant tell with black gloves if you are trying to see what the color is after an evaluation sweep that results in blood on your hands from a hidden spot on the body. I switched out some of mine to the thicker black ones for more durability and didnt even think about that.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I get that. My limited training is contingent on knowing that the major arteries are located on the inside of arms and legs. If it is gushing - tourniquit, if it is merely flowing - pressure.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Tier 1, on my person:
    I carry a SWAT-T tourniquet (Gift from a fellow INGOer :ingo:) in my pocket at all times.Also a pair of nitrile gloves.
    The SWAT-T is very compact (vacuum sealed) and can be used both at a pressure dressing or as a tourniquet.

With the cold weather I usually wear a shemagh as a scarf, which is basically a big triangular bandage.

Tier 2, in my EDC bag:

Close to me MOST of the time.Either in the car or on my back if I need to be away from the car for a while.

A compact trauma kit with another SWAT-T, gauze, tape, shears, mask, gloves etc.
    Head lamp treat someone hand-free at night.
    A small first aid kit for minor wounds with more gauze, and a space blanket to treat for shock.

Shears are good to make more bandages and dressings using victim's clothes in a mass casualty situation.

Tier3, in the car:

Largest first aid kit with anything from bandaids to tourniquet and pressure dressings.
    Several blankets to keep people warm.

I'm looking to add more stuff to the car kit like CAT tourniquets and israeli bandages and whatnot.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If I or my family are badly injured the supplies are definitely for us first. Staying alive is the first cause. Once I am able to either unharmed or fixed up my mind set is to help others.

Ladies if you have sanitary napkins in your purse get them out we need them... You in the dress shirt take it off now and rip it into strips... NOW!

Come over here right now and hold down on this wound, come on! put your weight on it! Don't worry about hurting her, she will bleed to death if you don't!

Mindset. You need to know what to do. You need to take charge.

If you don't know who's in charge, you are. :yesway:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I have both CATs and SOF Ts and Feel that about the SOF Ts are superior in design and ease of use. I am going to get a SWAT T to see how it works, it looks like it is a big rubber band. It may be good for an arm wound but i am not sure if it would work on a leg.

Someone with more experience is welcome to make corrections.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I have both CATs and SOF Ts and Feel that about the SOF Ts are superior in design and ease of use. I am going to get a SWAT T to see how it works, it looks like it is a big rubber band. It may be good for an arm wound but i am not sure if it would work on a leg.

Someone with more experience is welcome to make corrections.

I played with a SWAT once. I think it was in Cavmedic's class. Didnt like it.

Top Bottom